Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2019, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
so that car eventually joined the collection of 1958 Fords with broken water pump in the local junk yard
You couldn't buy a new aftermarket pump for it?

05-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
You couldn't buy a new aftermarket pump for it?
There were none available.
05-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #303
Pentaxian

Wow that's rough you had to throw away an entire car because you couldn't find a part for it
05-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #304
Veteran Member

We did. A '99 Ford Ranger, 130K, two cracked heads. It blew a head gasket a few years ago. Terrible engine!

05-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #305
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Wow that's rough you had to throw away an entire car because you couldn't find a part for it
Well, this wasn't me, it was my Dad and his two brothers - but they were very technically adept.

Cases like this is why US law was changed, requiring that automakers make spare parts available for 10 years after the model year.
05-01-2019, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #306
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're kidding right? '57-'58 Ford water pumps are dime a dozen. I think I still have one or two in the shed!
05-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #307
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You're kidding right? '57-'58 Ford water pumps are dime a dozen. I think I still have one or two in the shed!
My Dad, last of the three brothers, died nearly six years ago, so cross-examining them is out of the question.
I do know that he was very resourceful in keeping old stuff working - I remember when he rebuilt a fuel pump himself to keep that car running.

05-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin Stu Quote
then an inscription appears - "the lens is not connected"
Good thing Pentax bodies work regardless if the lens is recognized or not

---------- Post added 05-01-19 at 03:03 PM ----------

My Dad, last of the three brothers, died nearly six years ago, so cross-examining them is out of the question.
No worries, hopefully years later someone was able to get that car running again and out of that junkyard, who knows?
05-01-2019, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #309
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do know that he was very resourceful in keeping old stuff working - I remember when he rebuilt a fuel pump himself to keep that car running.
I've worked more on '57 and '58 Fords than any other vehicle. I can concur that the original fuel pumps needed rebuilding every so often. Luckily, kits for those are readily available too. The pump drove both the fuel delivery and the vacuum for the vacuum wipers - two diaphragms on one shaft. It's always the fuel diaphragm that fails, never the vacuum one.

Now, I'll have to apologise to the OP for derailing this thread!
05-01-2019, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #310
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Now, I'll have to apologise to the OP for derailing this thread!
We could go back to my statement before this detour: "Yes, people focus on expected shutter life, but various different things can fail. The two Canon Rebels I had both had processor failures."
My original reason for making this sentence is that the shutter on a consumer grade camera tends to have a shorter expected lifetime than the shutter on a higher-tier camera, but there really are so many things that can go wrong, and those various parts are not necessarily constructed to a high standard either. You can expect only so much quality from any manufacturer for $600, or whatever.
05-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #311
Forum Member

And still at random times I am getting the same symptoms I hope my technician didnt just did the file method for that iffy solenoid...guess it might be closer to its death...jumping ship perhaps? Naaaaah love the Pentax colors really

05-12-2019, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcagara08 Quote
And still at random times I am getting the same symptoms:
I hope my technician didn't just apply the filing method for that iffy solenoid...
Most likely he did because that is cheaper and that bit more simple, no soldering needed.

QuoteOriginally posted by jcagara08 Quote
...guess it might be closer to its death...jumping ship perhaps?
That could very well be the case. I have posted photos of the different solenoids in action,

the green solenoid unfiled already behaves sloppy, but sanded it is even sloppier, the plunger has more uncontrolled movement.

Here photos of the green solenoid in action with filed/sanded plunger:

You can see how badly aligned the plunger is.

And here a photo of the white post-analog DSLR solenoid (made in Japan with superior PTFE body and much closer tolerance of what could be called bearing-clearance between body acting as a bearing and plunger):

I have explained all the differences here:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
06-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Often people recommend filing/sanding/grinding the plunger of the green China-solenoid which was supposed to do the trick.

Well, for some it did but for many it didn't.

The reasons for this are just the plunger alone.... but I was able to compare

- the latest solenoid of a K-70
- the latest solenoid used for official repair of a K-30 (which failed again due to the solenoid)
- the solenoid of a K-S1

and

- the well regarded "made in Japan solenoid".

It shows the steps Ricoh implied in having the solenoid problem solved and why still some K-S1's and K-S2's and very few K-70's did fail
and what could be done to solve this finally.

Because this is important for those who own a K-70 or plan to buy it (as it is the actual Pentax using this solenoid!)

I have written it the K-70 section with many photos documenting the difference.

You can read it all HERE
08-04-2019, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #314

Thank you for this thread. My K-50 recently developed the same problem.
Non-invasive fix (optical preview and burst shooting) only worked for a few shots, then the problem came back.
I was going to take the K-50 apart, but then realized it was less than 4 years old, and in Canada, Pentax dSLR and lenses have two year warranty, AND my credit card provides another two years of extended warranty. Called this morning to open a case. We'll see how it goes.
08-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #315

The solenoid on my K30 has gone out... again... this is the third time. I love this camera, but I can't count on it.

Man I miss mechanical cameras.