Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 10:34 PM   #361
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Yes, the K-x has at least one Japan-Solenoid, possibly two! If you carefully transplant the bad green China-Solenoid from the K-30 into the flash-circuit of the K-x, the K-x will not suffer and be fine. In EU and Switzerland almost all K-x and K-r and many K100D/K200D had the green solenoid in the flash circuit and it never failed there.
It only failed in the aperture ciruit but due to the holding force.
Check the difference of the holding force of the two solenoids when you took the green one out of the K-30!
Let us know what difference you notice between the two.
Thanks for the info. Good to know that the K-x does not have to die. I will go and check out that K-30 and see if a deal can be done. I will have to pay a tech to dismantle the cameras as I don't trust myself not to mess it up. If the seller is not willing to come down with his price, I would rather keep the money in my K-3 piggy bank.

08-07-2020, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #362
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Thanks for the info. Good to know that the K-x does not have to die. I will go and check out that K-30 and see if a deal can be done. I will have to pay a tech to dismantle the cameras as I don't trust myself not to mess it up. If the seller is not willing to come down with his price, I would rather keep the money in my K-3 piggy bank.
If the K-30's aperture control does fail, you can always do as I did and get a FA lens for it; 'green button" metering is not as much of a problem as people imply.
08-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #363
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If the K-30's aperture control does fail, you can always do as I did and get a FA lens for it; 'green button" metering is not as much of a problem as people imply.
Green button metering is one option, but not limited only to FA-lenses, any manual lens with either K bajonett, adapted M42 and some others will do. I personally prefer F-lenses to FA lenses, those having the same optics are always better built, best example the F50/1,7 and F50/2,8 macro.

But if one doesn't have any of those, the price for a solenoid and DIY repair is possibly cheaper with the result of a fully functioning camera.

Anyway, there seems to be a better option than green button metering as described here by member m42man:
QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
Alternatively, with aperture ring enabled, you might try Av mode, set your preferred aperture, and use Exposure Compensation to get correct exposure. This seems to work well with cameras afflicted by the solenoid failure (for some reason) - and give better results than using the above (and usually prescribed) Manual mode and green-button method.

What you need to do is compare your set aperture to the aperture of the lens when wide open. Then set Exposure Compensation to match - for example, with an f2 lens, and your set aperture at f4, you would set the Exposure Compensation to +2EV. Then snap away as you want.
I have not tried this method myself because any Pentax with failed solenoid got repaired but this seems to be an interesting option.
08-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #364
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As things turned out, the K30 was already sold when I wanted to check it out. May be next time...

08-10-2020, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #365

I soldered in the white Japanese solenoid from eBay into the K-50 I'm looking to sell. It has worked great for years after I did the job (I had the dark exposure problem so I had nothing to lose). Wasn't actually all that hard but I did have an extra set of hands to help hold the little wires so I could do a good job and avoid any cold joints.