Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bronkobilly49 Quote
Then about 6 months ago aperture block failure. I love the camera so I decided to get it fixed
Where did you get it fixed?

11-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #62

Repair PC35

I had it repaired at PC35 PhotoLab. It has a 1 year guarantee on the repair. I have email them to see if they will honor the guarantee.
11-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK that is the guy in California who doesn't say what his repair technique is. We can only assume it is filing down horseshoe or something like that.

The only real long term fix for this problem is to replace the solenoid with a high quality 'white' one. Anything else is a band-aid in my opinion.
11-26-2017, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #64

Great Service

Just a shout to C R Kennedy Australia.My K-50 developed the "dark frame problem at 3 years of age ,rang a local repair co. & was quoted A$300.to repair it contacted Kennedy's and was told it would cost A$150 to fix it , but if I could provide proof of purchase they would repair it under warranty! As good as their word,
I received an e-mail this morning saying it had been repaired &had been dispatched by courier this morning!! Having had PENTAX cameras since the early '60sI I will not be jumping ship anytime soon . I consider this service above & beyond all expectations.

11-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shorty Quote
Just a shout to C R Kennedy Australia.My K-50 developed the "dark frame problem at 3 years of age ,rang a local repair co. & was quoted A$300.to repair it contacted Kennedy's and was told it would cost A$150 to fix it , but if I could provide proof of purchase they would repair it under warranty! As good as their word,
I received an e-mail this morning saying it had been repaired &had been dispatched by courier this morning!! Having had PENTAX cameras since the early '60sI I will not be jumping ship anytime soon . I consider this service above & beyond all expectations.
Thats great news. Not the first time I hear good things about C R Kennedy.
12-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #66

Oh great. I've owned my K-50 for little over two months now (it was a refurb with a moderate amount of clicks on it), and today it started to act up, of course when shooting something important. Have now ordered a (cheap) battery holder to use with my Eneloops. Having to choose between a camera with solenoid issues and another with focus issues for the holidays does not sound appealing, and I would imagine that getting things fixed quickly at this time of year may be a bit too much to expect.

One phenomenon I noticed is that the solenoid issue appears to throw off exposure in live view as well. You can also hear the difference between a "good" and "bad" live view actuation. A good one is just "klonk", a bad one more like "klonk-tchhh".
12-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 52mm Quote
Oh great. I've owned my K-50 for little over two months now (it was a refurb with a moderate amount of clicks on it), and today it started to act up, of course when shooting something important. Have now ordered a (cheap) battery holder to use with my Eneloops. Having to choose between a camera with solenoid issues and another with focus issues for the holidays does not sound appealing, and I would imagine that getting things fixed quickly at this time of year may be a bit too much to expect.

One phenomenon I noticed is that the solenoid issue appears to throw off exposure in live view as well. You can also hear the difference between a "good" and "bad" live view actuation. A good one is just "klonk", a bad one more like "klonk-tchhh".

Sounds like you have something a bit more serious going on than aperture block failure... my k-50 doesn't make odd noises in live view, and it has apb failure.

12-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 52mm Quote

Allthough a refurb model, you still should have warranty on it?
Because indeed it does sound more serious. I would make them return my money, depends which conditions you had. If by any chance you paid with paypal, you have even 180 days for a case! Similar possibilities if you paid with credit card.

If no warranty, then DIY! It isn't that difficult. But ONLY the white solenoid "made in Japan".

The AA solution is not really a solution either, only short term.
01-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #69

ex K-50

QuoteOriginally posted by bronkobilly49 Quote
I'm a long time Pentax user, started in 1978 with Pentax MX. I own a KX, MX, Super Program and P30T. I own an assortment of Pentax zoom and prime lenses, as well as a couple of AF 280T flashes. I'm retired and thought I would never be able to afford a new Pentax dslr. I had settled for and bought a Olympus E-510 used with a couple of kit lenses when Olympus discontinued the E series line. Two years ago my wife surprised me for our anniversary and bought me a K-50 with a kit lens. The camera is everything I wanted. Then about 6 months ago aperture block failure. I love the camera so I decided to get it fixed. I only have had it back a couple of months, and guess what, aperture block failure. The camera only has 2135 shutter count. I will not be getting it fixed again. I have purchase a used K-5 instead of fixing it. My recommendation to any of you who have a K-30 or K-50 with aperture block failure is to move on. I still love Pentax so I'm sticking with the brand.
Hi,
my situation is very similar, but I sold the 'repaired' K-50, on eBay, before it had a chance to fail a second time.
I purchased a brand new K-5, with 4-years extended warranty
haven't looked back :-)
and, ALL my lenses work (can't say the same for my Canon)

---------- Post added 01-18-18 at 01:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shorty Quote
I had the same experience with CR Kennedy (Melbourne)
5-star service
01-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just about one year ago I purchased a K-50 from the Marketplace here on PF. The unit had 850 shutter actuations and currently has over 5,000 with no issues. I got on Pentax's website and inquired about the problem. They advised me to give them the serial number of my k-50 and informed me that my camera will not have the problem since it is outside the range of serial numbers that were affected. Good news for a change, eh? Hope this helps.

TT
01-19-2018, 03:21 AM   #71

K-50 Serial Number

Thank You, TT,
Great to hear
First I have heard of this info being available in database to link K-50's with ABF problem
Can you post the correct link for this relevant database>
It could put 'at-ease' a lot of users minds
Rob
01-19-2018, 04:58 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
Thank You, TT,
Great to hear
First I have heard of this info being available in database to link K-50's with ABF problem
Can you post the correct link for this relevant database>
It could put 'at-ease' a lot of users minds
Rob

Sure thing, glad to be of service. It is now 3:53 am here on the Best Coast of the USA. (West Coast) ). I have been on Pentax's website and they do not even list the k-50 anymore. So with Sherlock Holmes' deductive reasoning, I tried Ricoh. Plenty of information on the k-50 with the exception of what I am looking for. ( Imagine my surprise). Have no fear, I shall persevere. They do show Precision Camera in Connecticut as the place to call and ask any questions. I will provide in the next post. Thanks for your patience.

Rgds,

Tonytee
01-19-2018, 05:29 AM   #73

Thank You, TT
We have been looking in the same places
what a surprise I felt when I noticed that Pentax Australia don't even mention the K-50 anymore, either
it seems the faulty components may have manufactured in China, and then assembled wherever, while the not-faulty components were manufactured in Japan (does not mean that ALL Japanese components are free of the fault, as a LOT of 'refurbished' K-50's are always available on eBay, from japan)
It also seems the 'failure' is an 'age-related' feature, rather than 'shutter-count' (critical period seems to be 2 to 3 years)
Anyway, good hunting
Rob
01-20-2018, 05:06 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Just about one year ago I purchased a K-50 from the Marketplace here on PF. The unit had 850 shutter actuations and currently has over 5,000 with no issues. I got on Pentax's website and inquired about the problem. They advised me to give them the serial number of my k-50 and informed me that my camera will not have the problem since it is outside the range of serial numbers that were affected. Good news for a change, eh? Hope this helps.

TT
Do you know the date of manufacture of your K50? I think the shutter count facility gives this information.

---------- Post added 01-20-18 at 12:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

TT
That is good news. Do you know the date of manufacture of your K50? I think the shutter count facility gives this information.
01-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #75

Shutter Count

Current shutter count of my GOOD, (white), K-50 is only 1,534
Date of manufacture 2015-12-04
still "new"

I use it as a 'travelling' camera, using AA-lithium batteries, and carry a rechargeable Li-109 in my pocket, as a 'spare'
When I travel, I carry NO recharger, cables, etc (just a spare 'card' of 4xAA Lithiums)
Previously, I had a RED ("can't-lose-me" colour) K-50 as my travelling camera, and I sold it when the shutter count was getting up a bit, and, my local Camera Shop had a sale on (selling-off their K-50's, no doubt)
At home, I use a new K-70 (still learning it, bought it on my last overseas trip, a couple of months ago), and also a beautiful K-5 (quality of photos is outstanding, and shutter is almost silent)
Previously, I used a K-x when travelling (AA-batteries) (also "can't-lose-me" red colour), which I replaced with red K-50, and now, the white K-50

Bought my son a K-1 (silver 'retro'), with matching battery grip, for Christmas ----> he has 'claimed' my old FA Silver Lenses
He had no chance of getting my Sigma Lenses !

Don't think I will 'inherit' his older K-3, either !
Rob