Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2019, 10:11 PM - 2 Likes   #316
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geekbone Quote
The solenoid on my K30 has gone out... again... this is the third time. I love this camera, but I can't count on it.

Man I miss mechanical cameras.
Welcome to the forums, and sorry to hear that. It's cold comfort, I know, but the later cameras (and flagship level models) don't suffer from this problem. Might be time to pick up a used K-5 series, or something newer still?

08-12-2019, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #317
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The solenoid on my K30 has gone out... again... this is the third time. I love this camera, but I can't count on it.

Sorry to hear this. My K-30 still worked well with lenses that had an aperture ring. You pick up a cheap older lens that has one and control it that way? The Pentax F 35-80mm is a good cheap lens that I've gotten great pictures with, think it cost me like $12 haha. Here's a sample from it:

10-01-2019, 01:19 PM   #318
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

I wonder if the solenoid was replaced or repaired (filed). and if replaced, what version. I have just successfully brought my K-30 out of retirement by filing the "slug" but am wondering how long this will typically last?
10-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #319

I had an aperture block failure in my K-30 after 7 years and about 70,000 photos. I used the company Pentax uses in Canada for warranty repairs. They told me they never hear of repeated failures once fixed. Apparently the K-70s are not known for this problem, so maybe the newer replacement parts aren’t prone to corrode? I opted to pick up a K-50 initially then realized that the ‘new’ K-50 with kit lens and repairing my K-30 would cost less than a K-70 body. Advantage of having both is as an inexpensive travel set. Now my K-50 is experiencing the dark frame issue. At least this repair will be under warranty. Can anyone else attest to the lasting power of this type of repair? Thanks!

Last edited by Peter_JDH; 10-06-2019 at 07:57 AM.
10-02-2019, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter_JDH Quote
I had an aperture block failure in my K-30 after 7 years and about 70,000 photos. I used the company Pentax uses in Canada for warranty repairs. They told me they never hear of repeated failures once fixed.
Depends very much how they repair it in Canada! If they use the white solenoid from ex-DSLR bodies, then indeed, they never will hear of repeated failures. But only if repaired like this!

You have to find out what they do. If they won't tell you, then they will either replace the solenoid with the green China-gremlin again or they will sand/grind it. And then they will have repeated failures but won't tell you.

Apparently the K-70s are not known for this problem, so maybe the newer replacement parts aren’t prone to magnetize?
I have explained this here:
Solenoid in Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com
and here:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

I opted to pick up a K-50 initially then realized that the ‘new’ K-50 with kit lens and repairing my K-30 would cost less than a K-70 body. Advantage of having both is as an inexpensive travel set. Now my K-50 is experiencing the dark frame issue. At least this repair will be under warranty. Can anyone else attest to the lasting power of this type of repair? Thanks!
Depends how you repair it!
If you use the filing/sanding method, you risk misalignement and corrosion on the plunger.

If you find a damaged *ist-D/DS/DL etc. or K100 up to the K-r, you have 2 solenoids made in Japan:
Keep one for your K-70, use the other one for your K-50:
Manual: Solenoid Replacment Pentax K-30/50/500 + Discharge of flash-condenser - PentaxForums.com

and then risk the sanding method for your K30 because with 70000 actuations it is heavy used.
But, alas... my K50 had 56000 actuations and ev. failed, I replaced the solenoid with the Japan version.
I gave it away to a student, it still works well.
10-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #321

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Depends very much how they repair it in Canada! If they use the white solenoid from ex-DSLR bodies, then indeed, they never will hear of repeated failures. But only if repaired like this!

You have to find out what they do. If they won't tell you, then they will either replace the solenoid with the green China-gremlin again or they will sand/grind it. And then they will have repeated failures but won't tell you.

I have explained this here:
Solenoid in Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com
and here:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

Depends how you repair it!
If you use the filing/sanding method, you risk misalignement and corrosion on the plunger.

If you find a damaged *ist-D/DS/DL etc. or K100 up to the K-r, you have 2 solenoids made in Japan:
Keep one for your K-70, use the other one for your K-50:
Manual: Solenoid Replacment Pentax K-30/50/500 + Discharge of flash-condenser - PentaxForums.com

and then risk the sanding method for your K30 because with 70000 actuations it is heavy used.
But, alas... my K50 had 56000 actuations and ev. failed, I replaced the solenoid with the Japan version.
I gave it away to a student, it still works well.
Thanks for the info. I gather they get their parts directly from Pentax, so I’ll assume it is in Ricoh’s interest to have warranty repairs work right the first time. The K-30 is intended to act as a cheap spare on trips where relying on a single body would make me a bit nervous, and so far it has remained fully functional since repair. Less of a long term issue now that they have announced a K-3 series replacement for next year (that KP grip just did not appeal and the K-70 dropped the shutter release jack). Now a dead camera might equal excuse for the new model, so can’t really loose too badly anyway. :-)
10-03-2019, 02:49 AM   #322
Pentaxian

I have a K30 for about 5 years. I bought a K70 last year and it stopped a bit. Now the first shot is a little dark. It is possible that he should have it repaired, patience. I see that I understand what happens, sometimes I need two bodies.

10-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #323
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
I have a K30 for about 5 years. I bought a K70 last year and it stopped a bit. Now the first shot is a little dark. It is possible that he should have it repaired, patience. I see that I understand what happens, sometimes I need two bodies.
That's not good to hear K-70 may have this issue too...
10-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In EU you have 2 years warranty. So have it repaired on warranty because what you describe are the typical symptoms

No patience because if it is the solenoid, it is going to become worse.
Don't try to do anything about (like serial shots which some people unknowingly recommend, unknowingly because it can lead to further damage)
Good luck!

Anyway, you should have posted this in the K-70 section, not K30/50!
10-04-2019, 07:02 PM - 2 Likes   #325
Pentaxian

Had this issue with my K-50 a few years ago and managed to replace the solenoid with the Japanese white one. So far (let's call it at 2000 shots later), it's still going strong.
10-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #326

Thanks. I gather the corrosion the solenoids can suffer is more time determined than use determined. It took my K-30 seven years from initial release to fail whereas the K-50 that sat for six years on the retailer’s shelf went in a few months after purchase. The fact that yours is still okay after a number of years since repair Is probably a good sign.
10-07-2019, 02:02 AM   #327
Pentaxian

Thanks. I gather the corrosion the solenoids can suffer is more time determined than use determined. It took my K-30 seven years from initial release to fail whereas the K-50 that sat for six years on the retailer’s shelf went in a few months after purchase. The fact that yours is still okay after a number of years since repair Is probably a good sign.
Mine seemed to fail after I had let it sit for quite a while with the battery in and no use. Either way fingers crossed that it holds for now as I don't have the $ for something newer right now.
10-07-2019, 05:37 AM   #328
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
That's not good to hear K-70 may have this issue too...
it is not the K70, but the K30 that has the problem. Sorry if I expressed myself badly.
10-17-2019, 03:25 AM   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K30 for about 5 years. I bought a K70 last year and it stopped a bit. Now the first shot (of the K30) is a little dark. It is possible that he should have it repaired, patience. I see that I understand what happens, sometimes I need two bodies.
It is good not to wait because it can worsen and do further damage.
But if you get it repaired it will receive the same difficult green China-solenoid.
Better to go for DIY, I wrote a manual how to do this , it should help you to do it with ease and is worth it.

Thanks. I gather the corrosion the solenoids can suffer is more time determined than use determined....
It isn't corrosion which is the main problem but too strong magnetic force, worse material, non-parallel sides and too much "bearing clearance" for the plunger. Only in rare cases was there already corrosion on the plunger without prior filing!

Corrosion happens if one files/sands the plunger! Then things get worse.
10-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #330
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by STARHUNTER94 Quote
Mine seemed to fail after I had let it sit for quite a while with the battery in and no use. Either way fingers crossed that it holds for now as I don't have the $ for something newer right now.
The K-30/50 seem to hate sitting around. It doesn't matter whether battery is in or out - not using it seems to cause it to fail even sooner than otherwise.