Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got my K500 back from being repaired today after having the aperture control replaced. I was lucky to have an extended warranty if not the repair would have cost $318.00CAD

07-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
Got my K500 back from being repaired today after having the aperture control replaced. I was lucky to have an extended warranty if not the repair would have cost $318.00CAD
Thank you for letting us know ... people had been wondering why we weren't hearing of issues with the K-500 despite the fact it supposedly share components with the K-50.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, none that I am aware of. I am also unaware of reports of similar failures in the multiple other APS-C models (all since at least the K10D with the exception of the K-3/K-3II) using the same or very similar aperture control block. When this happened with the K-30, it was something new. I remember the first cases where users on this site helped others rule out shutter, lens, and metering issues. For many of us, these failures have been frustrating. The cameras involved have arguably been the best value in their price segment and feature superior build and usability. With any luck the problems with the aperture/mirror controller will end with the K-50.

BTW...it just occurred to me that I have not heard of any problems with the K-500...go figure...
07-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
As I have said in two different threads about the failure of my K-30. This doesn't fix mine. I was using an all manual lens with no A setting working in manual mode, when the camera went down.
Well, that is worrisome. I have a K-30, about one year old, with 6900 actuations and no problems to date. However, 98% of my exposures are made with legacy glass and the camera in "M" mode. When I read of the aperture block failures, I thought I'd be immune as auto aperture is of no consequence, shooting this way: All that the camera is being asked to do, is meter through a pre-set lens and set the shutter speed correctly. Photolady95's situation suggests that something else, something more than aperture block is failing. Is this thought correct, and if so, have other K-30 users experienced that sort of failure? Thanks!
07-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This survey just went up recently: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/325815-survey-shutte...r-failure.html

07-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Owltown Quote
Well, that is worrisome. I have a K-30, about one year old, with 6900 actuations and no problems to date. However, 98% of my exposures are made with legacy glass and the camera in "M" mode. When I read of the aperture block failures, I thought I'd be immune as auto aperture is of no consequence, shooting this way: All that the camera is being asked to do, is meter through a pre-set lens and set the shutter speed correctly. Photolady95's situation suggests that something else, something more than aperture block is failing. Is this thought correct, and if so, have other K-30 users experienced that sort of failure? Thanks!
If I understand correctly, "green button" metering uses the aperture control mechanism, so that would stress the system some.
Yes, I believe that Photolady95's situation is something completely different.
10-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery
Greetings
I followed the directions in the first post. I did step 3 as I have no A or manual lenses. The aperture indeed stayed small. After firing off many rapid shots in Hi Burst mode, the problem seemed to correct itself and I end up with a perfectly sharp and exposed image.
If this is an aperture motor problem, would it likely to be glitchy on and off?
Of course my camera is well past warranty and probably not helpful was the fact the camera has sat unused for several months.
Based on experience or opinion, does anyone think that this is self-fixable?
10-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is some evidence that it can be intermittent.

10-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It very well can be intermittent. However the repetitive clicks "fix" tends to stop working over time, and if you power down the camera for a while the abm problem shows back up. Self fixable? doubtful, as obtaining parts would be difficult (salvage from another camera), plus required tools and knowledge needed, and then there's the possibility of not getting everything put back together 100% and having some sort of focusing or alignment issue. If it is out of warranty, I would suggest just buying a new one, or continuing to use the camera with old film era manual glass.
11-07-2016, 04:47 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

WOW!! I am so glad I found this section.

I had been doing quite a bit of homework in upgrading from my k100d Super. I was very close to deciding on the k-50, however it looks as though I am back to the drawing board so to speak. I do have a list of problems reported regarding the k-50, so I am not certain if this is the place to post them or in Trouble-Shooting Section.
I am awaiting word from Adam as to where it would be most appropriate to post them.

Thanks again for this section.

Rgds,

Tony

P.S. I may just have to stay with my reliable k100d Super.
11-07-2016, 06:21 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I had been doing quite a bit of homework in upgrading from my k100d Super. I was very close to deciding on the k-50, however it looks as though I am back to the drawing board so to speak. I do have a list of problems reported regarding the k-50, so I am not certain if this is the place to post them or in Trouble-Shooting Section.
I am awaiting word from Adam as to where it would be most appropriate to post them.

Thanks again for this section.

Rgds,

Tony

P.S. I may just have to stay with my reliable k100d Super.
I wouldn't shy away from a new K-50 or the K-70 for that matter as they are both a major step up from the K-100D Super that still gives many of the features a hobbyist photographer may want to use and still bring their skills up to the next level. I would probably shy away from buying a used K-30, K-50 or K-500 especially if the seller hasn't had the aperture control replaced.

I would however spend the few extra bucks to buy any kind of extended warranty offered on your credit card or in store regardless which camera you buy and hold on to the K100D-Super

If it makes you feel any better about the reliability of the Pentax Brand, the guy in my local camera store told me that by comparison they send far fewer Pentax cameras and equipment for repairs than they do other brands

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 11-07-2016 at 06:35 AM.
11-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I wouldn't shy away from a new K-50 or the K-70 for that matter as they are both a major step up from the K-100D Super that still gives many of the features a hobbyist photographer may want to use and still bring their skills up to the next level. I would probably shy away from buying a used K-30, K-50 or K-500 especially if the seller hasn't had the aperture control replaced.

I would however spend the few extra bucks to buy any kind of extended warranty offered on your credit card or in store regardless which camera you buy and hold on to the K100D-Super

If it makes you feel any better about the reliability of the Pentax Brand, the guy in my local camera store told me that by comparison they send far fewer Pentax cameras and equipment for repairs than they do other brands
Thank you very much for your taking the time to provide some valuable information. I received authorization from Adam to begin a new thread listing the problems associated with the k-50 camera. In regards to your comment of shipping out fewer Pentax equipment than Nikon and Canon, one reason may be that both Nikon and Canon have shut down a lot of their authorized service centers in this country and others as well. My wife had problems with her Nikon Coolpix compact camera and had to send it off to the one service center in Texas and they in turn had to send it off to another center in California. They blamed my wife stating that she had used a USB cable to charge the battery that was not a Nikon USB Cable. This is the only camera she has. So after many dollars going down the drain for shipping charges, she ended up getting the camera (still under warranty) returned to her in the same condition. Speaking only for myself, I believe I will stay with the K100d Super. If it blows up on me, I still have the Nikon D70 to rely on. Again, many thanks.

Tony
11-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Tony, if you're a bit uneasy about a k-30/50/70, etc... there is always the possibilty of going with a used K-5II. The price would be slightly more than a new K-50, but less than a K-70. You may or may not be lacking some minor features, but it is definitely an option to consider, and it would be a natural progression up from your k-100d.
02-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If I understand correctly, "green button" metering uses the aperture control mechanism, so that would stress the system some.
If I understand more recent comments correctly, "green button" metering will not work once this problem occurs regularly. As nearly as I can tell, the only reliable "work around" is a lens that stays stopped down the entire time. That can be a pain, because opening up the lens gives more light for framing and more sensitivity for manual focusing {these being why it opens up in the first place}, but the camera is definitely useable this way. As far as I can tell, that leaves three options, all using lenses with an aperture ring

(1) some here have cut off the aperture lever {I hate the thought of crippling a lens that way - but if its your lens...}

(2) using an M42-mount or other lens which has an "auto/manual" switch, which will allow you to keep it stopped down all the time

(3) I found a way to modify my AdaptAll lenses to keep them stopped down all the time
Keeping AdaptAll Lens Stopped Down - PentaxForums.com
02-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #44
Forum Member

I must be the UNLUCKIEST photog on the planet: I bought a K-30 a few years ago. After a year or so, I started getting the dreaded "first image dark" crap, took it to repair shop, cleaned, worked again (for a/b 3 weeks), started up again, took it back, cleaned & checked "more throughly this time", same result. Read a/b this pbm, credit-card ext. 2nd yr warrantee reembursed me, shop sold me discounted new K-50 (w/FREE EXTENDED WARRANTEE!!!). Now, 21 months later, my K-50's doin' the SAME FRACKIN' THING! Gonna call shop tomorrow. GRRRRRRRR!!!!11111 At least THIS time, I KNOW what the pbm is and will insist they REPLACE the Aperture block. I guess Ricoh won't step up and fix all these 'cause it'd pbly bankrupt 'em. At least I was savy enough to get the ext. warrantee (as I knew the credit card's already PAID OFF on it's warrantee for the orig. purchase).

Twice Bitten.
02-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kodai84 Quote
I must be the UNLUCKIEST photog on the planet: I bought a K-30 a few years ago. After a year or so, I started getting the dreaded "first image dark" crap, took it to repair shop, cleaned, worked again (for a/b 3 weeks), started up again, took it back, cleaned & checked "more throughly this time", same result. Read a/b this pbm, credit-card ext. 2nd yr warrantee reembursed me, shop sold me discounted new K-50 (w/FREE EXTENDED WARRANTEE!!!). Now, 21 months later, my K-50's doin' the SAME FRACKIN' THING! Gonna call shop tomorrow. GRRRRRRRR!!!!11111 At least THIS time, I KNOW what the pbm is and will insist they REPLACE the Aperture block. I guess Ricoh won't step up and fix all these 'cause it'd pbly bankrupt 'em. At least I was savy enough to get the ext. warrantee (as I knew the credit card's already PAID OFF on it's warrantee for the orig. purchase).

Twice Bitten.
Roughly what is your annual shutter count?