Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #1

Hi All...Still having trouble with my K50...

So...still cannot get an exposed picture. The image is extremely dark. The camera works perfectly this is something I got into and I don't know how to fix it. Maybe there is no easy fix. I will try Pentax tomorrow and see if they can walk me back into the correct exposure...If anybody out there has the magic trick for me please let me know this is driving me crazy...

03-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you put the camera into 100% auto green mode does the exposure look ok
03-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Hi Penny,

Did you read the responses in your other thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/315869-pentax-k50.html#post3559438

Not much anyone can do if you do not respond to questions. Please post some pictures with the EXIF intact. Hopefully it is just a setting, but it might also be the aperture issue that some k-50 cameras have developed. Please see the link I provided in the other thread you started.
03-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Penny Quote
So...still cannot get an exposed picture. The image is extremely dark. The camera works perfectly this is something I got into and I don't know how to fix it. Maybe there is no easy fix. I will try Pentax tomorrow and see if they can walk me back into the correct exposure...If anybody out there has the magic trick for me please let me know this is driving me crazy...
Definitely start by posting some photos, then we'll take a look

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter

In case the previous comment about auto green mode wasn't clear, just turn the mode dial on the top of the camera to the green "Auto" position and that should be a good starting point. It's the only thing that says "Auto" on the K-50.

If you add your approximate location (e.g., city and state) to your profile, then a forum member in your local area might be willing to meet up for 10 minutes in a public place and help you troubleshoot the problem. I've helped other forum members this way a few times. Everyone survived, nobody got hurt.

Last edited by Tanzer; 03-07-2016 at 11:21 AM.
03-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Sorry...I really don't know how to navigate this site...I even did a factory reset and the issue is still there...even in auto "green" mode...think I will have to box it up and send it in...for the life of me though I think this is such an easy fix...my camera was operating 100% and then this......but...will run up and take some pics...and maybe some of you can see what is going on...ok...so...as you may be able to see...I took a picture of my yellow Ford Focus im pure daylight...you can barely see the car...here are some pics...I live near Crawfordsville, IN by the way...probably not anywhere near another Pentax user...I am still positive this is something I have done...I don't believe this is a CAMERA issue...I think it is OPERATOR failure...

---------- Post added 03-08-16 at 08:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
In case the previous comment about auto green mode wasn't clear, just turn the mode dial on the top of the camera to the green "Auto" position and that should be a good starting point. It's the only thing that says "Auto" on the K-50.

If you add your approximate location (e.g., city and state) to your profile, then a forum member in your local area might be willing to meet up for 10 minutes in a public place and help you troubleshoot the problem. I've helped other forum members this way a few times. Everyone survived, nobody got hurt.
thanks...I just posted some pics

---------- Post added 03-08-16 at 08:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote

ok...added my site...Crawfordsville, IN...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX L820  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX L820  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX L820  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX L820  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX L820  Photo 
03-08-2016, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

OK Penny, that's a good start. What we really meant about posting some pictures, was to post one or two images taken from the K-50's memory. It could be actual pictures of your son's car, or whatever else you feel comfortable sharing, so long as it comes from the K-50's memory.

The reason we ask this, is because when you post images, there is a tool that automatically extracts useful data that is embedded in the actual image. For example, next to the first image that you posted, the one with the mode dial set to auto, there is a link that says "View Picture EXIF". If we click on this, we can see was made using a Nikon Coolpix L810, at f/9.6, 1/30 sec, ISO 200. We can also see some other useful metering and exposure mode information.

Anyhow, from the picture that you did post, that shows your son's car, it is obvious enough that you were shooting at 1/160 sec, f/10, and ISO 200. I don't have all the metering info but my guess is that this probably should have produced a good image.

Now I'm wondering, are pictures taken with the K-50 actually okay, and it's just the rear screen that is showing them too dark?
03-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #8

I'm having similar issues with my camera. I'll post some pics here as soon as I get home.
The problem is that I'm from Brazil, and I guess I won't be getting any warranty.
The mettering from live view and from view finder gives diferent results.
I tried at 15 pm, and there was a LOT of light (enough to give me a sunburn easily) and using the metering from the view finder the image was black.
Using the live view for the image to appear I had to use a really slow shutter speed (close to 1 sec)
I guess in about 1 hour I'll be able to post the pics.
I'm affraid my sensor is dying. The camera only have 1600 shots, and I bought from a store that the owner said he have a guy that brings to him from Miami.

03-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #9

Here are the promised pics:

http://imgur.com/OJNBBZl

http://imgur.com/RXT4jjy
03-15-2016, 06:04 AM   #10

Penny's camera seems to have selected the nighttime scene icon. (?) Seems like there isn't much light getting in.

I wonder if the pin that actuates the aperture has got bent?

If possible, try another lens and see if the camera operates properly then.

---------- Post added 03-15-16 at 06:05 AM ----------

Also - see the threads https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/315725-dark-exposure...-me-first.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/264514-pentax-k-30-p...ting-dark.html
03-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Oricman Quote
Penny's camera seems to have selected the nighttime scene icon. (?) Seems like there isn't much light getting in.

I wonder if the pin that actuates the aperture has got bent?

If possible, try another lens and see if the camera operates properly then.

---------- Post added 03-15-16 at 06:05 AM ----------

Also - see the threads https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/315725-dark-exposure...-me-first.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/264514-pentax-k-30-p...ting-dark.html
Thanks for pointing to these topics!

I tried another lens, the 55-300, and it had the same results. Dark images
03-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #12

There seems to be an issue with some if the contacts need cleaning. It's worth a try. I think another suggestion was to try a firmware update.
This was an issue mentioned elsewhere and I think the camera had to be repaired.
03-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #13

The firmware update worked!
It's night now, and I took some pics using the flash, and all seemed fine.
I'll try again tomorrow afternoon with some natural light and I'll let you guys know.