Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-30 Aperture connection/metering problem

My K-30 has developed an intermittent problem with the aperture connection. From time to time the viewfinder goes dark and the camera seems to be metering with the lens stopped right down, so the amount of light reaching the meter is low, even though the lens is wide or nearly wide open (Im shooting sport and using aperture priority). It would seem that the electronic contact is giving the correct aperture and, as a result, I am getting slow shutter speeds and the camera is hugely overexposing.This has happened on more than one lens, so it is the body at fault. The problem corrects itself on the next frame or if you turn the camera off and on again. this is a well used 3 year old body.

Does anybody have any experience of this or thoughts about the cause?
Is it fixable?
Thank you in advance for any advice

03-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #2

It seems this problem is not specific to the K-30. I am getting a similar problem with my 4 month old K3II (purchased in Canada). To make things worst I am traveling in Indochina where I don't have access to a repair center. The camera locks up almost every day. The K3II locked on me while visiting the Cambodian temple featured in Tomb Raider, on an orchid & orangutan shoot in Borneo. I missed a ton of great shots. VERY frustrating!!

The problem:

- aperture connection stops right down
- view finder goes dark
- shutter release button WILL NOT WORK so I cant take a picture
- not lens related as this has occurred with: Pentax DA 16-50 f2.8, SMC FA 300mm f2.8, SMC A 200 f4 Macro & Sigma 50-500mm f4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HMS
- Random & Intermittent, stops working from 2-3 times in a day up to every 2-3 days

For me turning it off & on does NOT solve the issue. I keep trying the camera till at some point it decides to start working again. I tried everything to get it to work from on/off, switch lenses, go to live view & back, switch to video and change all the setting, non have an effect.
03-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
Forum Member

There have been many threads about this issue occurring in both the K30 & K50.

Unfortunately, it has kept me from buying either of these models.
03-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the update - sorry you've had this problem too and worse than mine if it doesn't clear or release the shutter. Hopefully you can get it sorted under warranty. I should have added on my post that, when it experiences this problem, the camera makes a clattering noise when the shutter releases. I'm not sure if it's the shutter, the mirror, the mechanical link with the lens, or a combination of these, but it's very loud compared with the usual operation.