Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used a Sears lens, called a Macro Zone lens to take the shot below, note the f stop, this lens is a 135mm FL.

04-03-2016, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenK-50 Quote
Are there any setting adjustments that you recommend to fix the focus problem?

Thanks,
Steven
What I would do is put the camera in center point AF, half-press the shutter button while pointing the camera at what you want to be sharp, then adjust the framing so that it's to your liking (while keeping the button half-pressed), and finally take the shot.

An alternative would be to use the SEL autofocus mode and use an off-center point to focus with, but I would stick with the technique above for now.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #18

Original Poster
Newbie Questions

I am having some problems with my new K-50.
All of my pictures are blurry.
There is a delay between when I press the shutter button and when the picture is taken.
I think this may be part of the problem.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven
04-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Hey, welcome! Congrats on getting that camera, its a good one! Unfortunately, you did not provide us enough information to really help you. It would be great if you would take two sample photos, resize them down to appx. 1000 pixels on the longer size, and upload them to this forum. And write what their settings were (Aperture f-number, shutter speed, ISO; this data is in the Exif details of the jpeg photo file). This will let us diagnose problems, rule out use error, faulty equipment, stuff like that

Right now the only thing I can say is that you are probably taking photos in conditions that are too dark. Did you shoot Auto or one of the other modes?

04-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

are you in single frame mode? or have changed it to the 2s delay? the button is directly to the right on the OK button
04-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #21

Original Poster
I am having trouble attaching pictures.
Is there a way to reduce the delay between pressing the shutter button and when the picture is taken?

Thanks
04-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #22
a5m
Veteran Member

You posted this exact question yesterday in a different thread k-50 Questions. Why start another thread? It's not like hanging up and calling back customer service hoping to speak with another agent...

04-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #23

Original Poster
Aaron, yes, I am in single frame mode.
04-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a way to reduce the delay between pressing the shutter button and when the picture is taken?
There should be no noticeable delay. The delay is in mill-seconds. For practical purposes there is none. So if you have a delay there is something wrong.
As noted above check your settings and make sure you are not using the 2 second delay mode.

Also, how are you taking the picture? You should press the shutter button half way down, wait until the camera focuses and gives you the solid green hex in the view finder to indicate a focus lock, then press the shutter button the rest of the way to take the picture.
04-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Could you have accidentally mapped the AF to the rear button, and disabled the shutter focus? That wouldn't explain the delay though.
04-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2-second delay may be enabled. Try RESET from the camera menu and then shoot in Green mode to see if the delay goes away.
04-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've merged the two threads.
04-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #28
Forum Member

I just got a K-50. I have set up with the recommended settings,
but all of my pictures so far have been blurry.
Are there any settings to correct this?
Also it takes a few seconds from the time I press the shutter release button until the picture is taken.
Can this time be reduced?

Thanks,
Steven
Try Live View focusing and use Spot mode pointed at your subject. If you get good results now and bad results with viewfinder focus, you need to AF Fine Adjust your lens.
04-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got a K-50 a few weeks ago. A few thoughts from my admittedly limited experience:

Steve has 2 issues: lag and blurry focus.

Let's assume that we've eliminated an accidentally set timer as the lag culprit, i.e. the viewfinder does not turn black after the shutter release has been pressed, the shutter just doesn't release.

The problem could be related to focus priority or catch in focus being enabled. As other posters have pointed out, the focal length is a bit long for this subject. The lens he is using is the 50 - 200mm. I've often seen it packaged with the camera body and the 18 - 55mm lens. If this is what he bought, I'd recommend trying with the shorter lens. I think it would improve his chances of getting the correct subject in correct focus in full auto mode at the distance the subject is likely at from him.

The green hexagon at the bottom of the viewfinder should be solid, not blinking. Test whether focus priority is causing the shutter lag - it won't shoot because the subject - in its opinion - is not in focus. Use the switch on the front left of the camera to change into manual focus mode and take a couple of shots. It doesn't matter if they're in focus; we're trying to troubleshoot the lag. If the camera shoots without delay in manual focus mode, then the lag is likely due to focus priority not allowing shutter release because the focus wasn't good. (Please note: I'm not recommending Steve actually shoot in manual mode just yet, merely use it to try to figure out his lag issue.)

I read the settings recommendation Steve linked to. It recommends setting catch in focus when using manual focus lenses with moving subjects. That doesn't apply here so make sure it's set to off. Also, the settings article recommends turning off the various jpeg corrections. I'd leave them turned on for now. I don't notice them creating any lag when shooting single flower snapshots. Since we don't know what if any photo processing software or skills Steve has, they could be helpful.

The exif says that the pictures were taken around 9AM. A glossy white flower petal in bright flat mid-morning sunlight can be somewhat tricky for a camera to grab. Assuming the camera is in AF.S on the switch on the front and Auto mode, I'd recommend using AE Metering spot light metering and metering on the brightest whitest part of the flower. Since he wants multiple flowers in focus, I'd use the AF Active Area five or eleven focus point setting. Try using the shorter lens at a shorter focal length if that's possible. If not, use the 50 - 200mm (starting at 50mm), but take a step or two or three back. Half press for focus and metering, make sure the green hexagon at the bottom of the viewfinder screen is solid green, hold the half press and recompose the shot slightly to your taste if necessary, then press the shutter release all the way down. Keep trying different combinations of focal length - zoom - and distance from the subject until you get pictures that match what you were trying to get. The pixels are free and reusable and the delete key is our friend.