Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2016, 05:52 AM   #1

k-50 Questions

I just got a K-50. I have set up with the recommended settings,
but all of my pictures so far have been blurry.
Are there any settings to correct this?
Also it takes a few seconds from the time I press the shutter release button until the picture is taken.
Can this time be reduced?

Thanks,
Steven

04-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StevenK-50 Quote
I have set up with the recommended settings,
What recommended settings? If you post a photo we can help you figure out what is going on easier than trying to tell you what's wrong without seeing what you are seeing.
04-03-2016, 06:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Here are the settings I used.

Pentax K-50 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
04-03-2016, 06:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Ok, so which mode setting are you using? A lot of people starting out use the Auto pic mode or P mode. Or some use the scene modes, which are you using?

Again, a photo would help us help you. If you're not sure how to upload a photo, see this article here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/6-how-upload-link-pho...tart-here.html

04-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also it takes a few seconds from the time I press the shutter release button until the picture is taken.
Is it possible you are using the 2sec delay option for tripod use, in this case shake reduction is off and you probably move the camera before the picture is taken because the mirror goes up when you press the shutter release and you can't see anymore through the viewfinder?
04-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter

That's a possibility too. Another thing is the recommended settings are just for setting up the menu's, it's not going to help much when taking photos. There are other settings you'll need to use for that.
04-03-2016, 07:00 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like your shutter speed may be way too low. As a rule of thumb your shutter speed should not be lower than the reciprocal of your lenses focal length. So if you are using a 50mm lens your shutter speed should not be less than 1/60th of a second. Watch your ISO settings and your aperture. The K50 can easily goto ISO1600. Until you get a better feel for the camera keep your shutter speeds up. Hope this helps.
04-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #8

Original Poster
I am in Auto. Here are some photos

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
04-03-2016, 07:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am in Auto. Here are some photos
Auto mode just means auto exposure settings (edit: ISO, shutter speed, aperture) you still can use 2sec delay (edit: use single frame shooting for most handheld situations), but the main problem is missfocus
edit:
from what i can see the pictures (especially the first one) is sharp somewhere, just not where you intended it to be. at the first picture the gras in the background is in focus (you might came under the minimum focus distance of your lens in this case and the camera couldn't focus any nearer) and at the second picture the upper flower in the middle is in focus.
the shutter speed is fine for the focal length but your depth of field might be too shallow for photographing such close objects/flowers (f8 - f11 or might even f16 should work better) you have with ISO100 enough room to close the lens down further (Av or TAv mode will be the best shooting mode for this) without loosing much detail because of the higher ISO you will need then.

Last edited by othar; 04-03-2016 at 08:37 AM.
04-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #10

Original Poster
Are there any setting adjustments that you recommend to fix the focus problem?

Thanks,
Steven
04-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Were you using a tripod or where these hand held? If tripod, make sure your SR is turned off.

I use spot metering for all my shots, I don't like center weighted because it meters more than what I'm trying to focus on. Move closer to your subject and concentrate on one flower, instead of many, these flowers are too far apart for an overall shot of all of them, IMO.
04-03-2016, 07:39 AM   #12

Original Poster
Hand held. I will try the spot metering. Thank you.
04-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Take a look in my flickr, for better understanding of what I'm saying. I shoot a lot of flowers, and EXIF data is available for all my photos. After reading the data there, set your camera to ones you find. Take camera out of AutoFocus mode. TAV will allow you to use Auto ISO but also allow you to set Aperture, and Shutter Speed.

On your first photo, I think you were simply too close or your hands shook. Each lens or specific focal length on any zoom lens has a specific length that will focus at, in other words, too close and the lens won't focus.
04-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First I would take the camera out of Auto, I never use it. Like Photolady said try a spot focus setting and put the sensor on what you want in focus. On the 4-way controller on the back of the camera the button to the right adjusts your shutter type. Hit the right button and set the camera to single frame shooting. This is the setting all the way to the left. Next you need to stop your lens down some, preferably around f8-f10. You can can adjust the ISO to keep your shutter speed up. On the 4-way controller on the top marked iso does this. After selecting the ISO button the front controller wheel adjusts the lower ISO setting and the back wheel adjusts the higher one. Adjust the ISO to 100-1600 to start. If you want to adjust your AF points select the INFO button on the back. The upper window second to the right adjusts the AF points. Select this setting and use the 4-way controller left and right buttons to select spot focus, all the way to the right. Keep the autofocus sensor on your subject you want in the focus. You can also use AF Active Area Select. This will allow you to move the AF points to where you want them.To move the AF pints hold the center OK button down until the AF area enlarges and use the 4-way controller to move the AF buttons around.

The K50 is a great camera, I use mine right along with my K3.

04-03-2016, 08:00 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the help.