Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2016, 03:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Liveview without flipping mirror in for example church possible with K-30 ?

Hi,
I have been looking and looking but didn't find a solution yet, but hope to have overlooked it: is there a possibility to let the mirror up while taking photo's with lifeview in a K-30?
I'm sure the shutter and lens are far less noisy (lens even not closed very much in a church because of low light if even at all) then the mirror is so it would be very helpfull to leave it up when taking pictures (or movies by the way) of concerts.

Maybe there is some possibility that I didn't see?

04-24-2016, 03:46 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,354
This isn't possible with the K-30, but it is with the K-3. Pentax had to redesign the shutter mechanism to facilitate the higher 8.3 FPS rating. Plus, the flagship shutters are much quieter to begin with, so the overall noise level is greatly reduced.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,756
The k30/k50 flap the mirror down and back up when firing the shutter in live view. There is no way around it that I know of.
04-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Original Poster
Too bad!
A little electronic magnet to keep the mirror up should be enough i guess... ?

04-26-2016, 07:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,756
QuoteOriginally posted by elvinhaak Quote
Too bad!
A little electronic magnet to keep the mirror up should be enough i guess... ?
I wouldn't personally try it. I would either build a sound deadening enclosure that I could use or live with it or upgrade to a newer quieter body like the k3. Or get a Mirrorless camera. The Q may struggle in concert lighting but it would add reach. Non-Pentax options like the Panasonic, Olympus and Sony are another option.
04-27-2016, 01:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I wouldn't personally try it. I would either build a sound deadening enclosure that I could use or live with it or upgrade to a newer quieter body like the k3. Or get a Mirrorless camera. The Q may struggle in concert lighting but it would add reach. Non-Pentax options like the Panasonic, Olympus and Sony are another option.
Hmm... I wasn't even thinking of rebuilding it myself, but it would have been a nice option though from Pentax.
But now it makes me think ;-)
With other bodies, there are other things that lack. K-3 for example the weight and the not-beeing-able tot use penlight-batteries. most pictures are far better to take with the viewfinder but could be quieter if you would be able to use a kind of mirror stay-up during silent parts of the concert. An extra body without mirror is pretty expensive with another lens of the same kind (18-250 which is used in both limits, and moving around in my wheelchair would not only disturb me and the artists but surely the crowd..)

Best work-around is probably to take movies on high quality and make pictures from that afterwards.
Anybody know a good program in Linux that could be used to make such pictures (in JPG) from the movies that come out of a K-30?
04-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,756
QuoteOriginally posted by elvinhaak Quote
Hmm... I wasn't even thinking of rebuilding it myself, but it would have been a nice option though from Pentax.
But now it makes me think ;-)
With other bodies, there are other things that lack. K-3 for example the weight and the not-beeing-able tot use penlight-batteries. most pictures are far better to take with the viewfinder but could be quieter if you would be able to use a kind of mirror stay-up during silent parts of the concert. An extra body without mirror is pretty expensive with another lens of the same kind (18-250 which is used in both limits, and moving around in my wheelchair would not only disturb me and the artists but surely the crowd..)

Best work-around is probably to take movies on high quality and make pictures from that afterwards.
Anybody know a good program in Linux that could be used to make such pictures (in JPG) from the movies that come out of a K-30?

I was thinking you would use a pk adapter. So no real cost for the lens. A 12mp Panasonic g series on keh is around $150.
04-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,921
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I was thinking you would use a pk adapter. So no real cost for the lens. A 12mp Panasonic g series on keh is around $150.
If the primary interest is video indoors, why not just get a K-01 and skip the adapter?

04-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,756
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If the primary interest is video indoors, why not just get a K-01 and skip the adapter?
Video did not appear to be the primary interest. I think if you go back and reread video was the potential solution to getting pictures without a loud shutter clack including the mirror slap.
04-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,921
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Video did not appear to be the primary interest. I think if you go back and reread video was the potential solution to getting pictures without a loud shutter clack including the mirror slap.
Yeah, but the thread seemed to have wandered off onto video options, which is why I made that specific comment.
A K-01 is basically his K-30 without the noisy mirror mechanism.
My Q-7 is a very good camera to use where noise is an issue, but doesn't have quite the IQ that my K-30 does.
I've been thinking that a K-01 might be a good compromise between the two, but I've been unwilling to buy another camera without a viewfinder.

added comment: however, a K-01 should be almost exactly like his K-30 using liveview, which is his current approach.

Last edited by reh321; 04-27-2016 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added comment
04-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,756
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yeah, but the thread seemed to have wandered off onto video options, which is why I made that specific comment.
A K-01 is basically his K-30 without the noisy mirror mechanism.
My Q-7 is a very good camera to use where noise is an issue, but doesn't have quite the IQ that my K-30 does.
I've been thinking that a K-01 might be a good compromise between the two, but I've been unwilling to buy another camera without a viewfinder.

added comment: however, a K-01 should be almost exactly like his K-30 using liveview, which is his current approach.
How loud is The k01 shutter?
04-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
How loud is The k01 shutter?
Well, that was my first question too.
On my old body I did a test with holding the mirror with a finger and it is getting a lot less noisy this way. For lifeview the body doesn't seem to care about the mirror that stays up. But a K-01 should probably be a better aprouch as a second body if the rest of the specs are basically the same since the K-30 doesn't have this magnet inside.
Does it take the same batteries as the K-30?

The movie-aproach could be a good working-around since you can start recording (mirror flipping up) at the brakes and end recording at the next brake without making discomfortable noise but for this you need a good AF and manual-focus during recording since the lack of AF in the midst of a recording.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
church, example church, k-30, k-50, lens, liveview mirror up, mirror, pentax k30, pentax k50, possibility
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stop down metering only works in liveview on K-R with manual M lenses DadsMX Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 14 06-29-2016 06:14 AM
Pentax K-30 + Metz 52 in remote mode without built-in flash ? martinos Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 7 01-13-2014 11:30 AM
My K-5 has developed a "mirror flipping" blackout syndrome... MetteHHH Pentax K-5 15 08-06-2013 01:35 AM
An example of the DR possible with the K-5 benisona Pentax DSLR Discussion 26 11-25-2010 01:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top