Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #61

Original Poster
Frustrtated Beginner

Hi BigmackCam,

You didn't hear back because I didn't realize there was that many responses, since I am new to the forum.
Anyways, no problems on my end. Just looking for options as well as some venting, I did get one option from Huy,
which did not work unfortunately.
Regards,
Misterkittyboy

-----------------------------------------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't think we're going to hear back from the OP. My guess is this was just a drive-by venting post from a genuinely-frustrated beginner. Otherwise, if they read this, they'd probably be a little embarrassed and not want to come back into the discussion. That said, it's useful info for anyone that hasn't come across this mode of operation before...

---------- Post added 05-01-16 at 08:27 PM ----------

Dear OP,

Not sure what that means... please see BigMac response...

Thanks,
Misterkittyboy..

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The OP is probably venting on the Nikon forums by now about some terrible defect in the new camera.

---------- Post added 05-01-16 at 08:37 PM ----------

Hi Colin,

I had wrote this issue a couple of nights ago and got a heavy response to my surprise...should have looked at my email the next night.... I wasn't even sure that I would get 2 at the most but
greatful for the responses.

The "entry level: K50 camera for my 12 year old should have been easy to operate, but then according to the posts I should have read the instructions?
However, getting at least one solution from Huy (it didn't work) which is what I was looking for from this forum. I didn't realize I
stepped on some antsy toes..

P.S. I am not sure what OP is.

Thanks for your response.

Misterkittyboy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
Funnily enough I came across this point in the last couple of weeks. I've had both a K30 and a K50 for a while, and decided to set them up to use a couple of old film camera lenses. I was surprised to note that when I switched to Manual mode, the display indicated Tav. Upon investigation, I discovered that it was necessary to fix the ISO setting in order to move to genuine manual operation - I've set one of the User modes to be effectively Manual Tav.

I had not read this thread at the time I made the changes otherwise I would have made a proper note of the exact order of what I did. However, I believe I changed the mode dial to M, then used the rear dial to access the ISO setting and fix it to the value I wanted, This produced the change I desired.

I then checked the effect by switching each camera off and then on again in turn to check retention of the setting. In both cases the Mode in "Manual" is M with the fixed ISO setting. When changing between modes and turning the camera off and on, the correct modes display and the related ISO settings appear to be retained.

One point about which I was concerned was that such fixing of the ISO setting might carry over to other modes, but it does not appear to(as I expected from a reading of the manual), and the individual ISO setting for each mode appears to be retained for that mode. I have not, so far, noted any crossover.

I should add that I am by no means an expert as although I have had the K30 in particular for some time, it is only relatively recently that my long term interest in photography has been rekindled. In my view the camera manuals are good, but could be better. Sometimes you first need to realise that you need to link and read separate sections to fully understand the use of some controls. The manual layout of lists of functions sometimes does not provide the intuitive connection between sections. Only now, after having used the cameras for some time in automatic modes and slowly trying to achieve certain results and retain convenient settings have I made some of the connections.

Just one further thought regarding the OP's question, are there any other settings in the menus which would over-ride or prevent retention of the M setting in Manual mode - I'm not knowledgeable enough to know?

At the end of the day I should have applied the same attitude to the camera and manual as I do to computers - this machine WILL do what I want, how do I get it to do it. I initially didn't do that, probably because the camera was supposed to be a relaxation from complexity.

Colin

05-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
O ="original"
P = "poster"

Meaning the person who began the thread.

A lot of people get a bit jaded and think when people make threads like this it is to make a negative point and run not to get help. The delay in response just spun that up in their minds.

I would love it if you would use the Nikon to record you trying to set the ISO so we can make sure a minor communication failure on our part isn't leading you to make a mistake.
05-01-2016, 11:50 PM   #63

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not sure that it has been made clear, but this is not a defect, but the way the camera is supposed to function. I'm a little unclear as to the difference between manual mode with auto iso and Tav mode anyway. In Tav mode, you set your aperture and shutter speed and a iso range and the camera chooses the best iso to maintain that. How do you want manual mode with auto iso to work?

But either way, feature or bug, it is the way the camera was designed to function. It is like complaining that when you are in P mode and spin the back dial you end up in Av mode and when you spin the front dial you end up in Tv mode. That's the way the camera was programmed to function. I guess if you don't like it, it is your prerogative to choose a different brand (which you have done).

Good luck.
Thanks Rondec,
Got it.
Sent it to Pentax 5x, wasn't fixed and got 1 solution out of the 50+ forum replies in 2-3 days... that didn't work either unfortunately, but appreciated.
Even though the Nikon is working out pretty good for us (no intentions behind this), I should have not mentioned it in a Pentax forum... didn't realize there
are sensitive feelings out there. However, I got a slew of bad and good comments nonetheless.

As I mentioned in other replies before this one, the objective was to find some outside answers on this K50 entry level DSLR camera in this forum.

Regards!
05-02-2016, 01:16 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by misterkittyboy Quote
Hi BigmackCam,

You didn't hear back because I didn't realize there was that many responses, since I am new to the forum.
Anyways, no problems on my end. Just looking for options as well as some venting, I did get one option from Huy,
which did not work unfortunately.
Regards,
Misterkittyboy
Hi Misterkittyboy Apologies, we get quite a few posts of this nature, often sniping at Pentax cameras without a full understanding of them, and often just to stir up trouble. I appreciate that your post wasn't meant in that way. As UncleVanya suggests, perhaps you could use that Nikon camera to video yourself making the settings adjustments on the K-50, just so we can be absolutely sure that you're not missing something. It may well be that you genuinely have a fault with the K-50 - but best to be certain one way or the other, right? The worst that can happen is that we confirm you really do have a faulty unit... At best, we might find a solution and, if nothing else, you'll have a spare camera to use or sell

05-02-2016, 02:42 AM   #65
Site Supporter

And, this may be a good time to add that, if a fault can be confirmed, then Adorama will, most probably, be accomodating too! So, I agree - a video of the process, step-by-step, will be a good idea.
05-02-2016, 07:47 AM - 2 Likes   #66

I'll try to nail this question with my K50 by saying exactly how I've changed this setting - sorry no video.

If I turn the camera on and set the mode dial to "M", the rear screen shows ISO3200(because this is how I've initially set it) with "M" top left.

Whilst that is displaying, I press the ISO button on the rear 4-way dial to access the ISO value screen, and then use the up(ISO) button again to change the highlighted item to ISO Auto(the values don't matter for this purpose). Then press "OK" in the centre of the 4-way dial. The display should now revert to the standard information screen and the "M" in the top left corner has changed to show "TAv". This is effectively where the OP is starting from.

The setting is retained until I want to go back to fully manual mode:-

To go back to "M" mode, I go through the identical process, but just reverse the ISO setting, and using the down button on the 4-way dial to highlight an(any non-auto) ISO value. Then press OK to confirm. The "M" setting is then retained in manual mode - which should show on the rear information screen.

Note re the bold text above:- On my camera, I have to select the changed setting and then retain it by pressing the "OK" button in the centre of the 4-way dial. "Backing out" of the choice in any other way(e.g. by pressing the menu button), loses the change, and it reverts to the previous setting.

Whilst writing this post I have successfully switched the setting back and forth three times.

I hope this helps.

Colin

Last edited by nicolpa47; 05-02-2016 at 09:08 AM.
05-02-2016, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

Very well explained, Colin!
05-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #68

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Misterkittyboy Apologies, we get quite a few posts of this nature, often sniping at Pentax cameras without a full understanding of them, and often just to stir up trouble. I appreciate that your post wasn't meant in that way. As UncleVanya suggests, perhaps you could use that Nikon camera to video yourself making the settings adjustments on the K-50, just so we can be absolutely sure that you're not missing something. It may well be that you genuinely have a fault with the K-50 - but best to be certain one way or the other, right? The worst that can happen is that we confirm you really do have a faulty unit... At best, we might find a solution and, if nothing else, you'll have a spare camera to use or sell
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear BigmackCam,
My final conclusion was also to sell the pink camera as used and do away with it.
However, the 12 year wants the "pink camera" regardless. Therefore, we will
hold on to it until she says otherwise.

You all gave me enough information to make a final conclusion nonetheless and
is appreciated.

I will leave this issue as concluded and will move forward on it.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Misterkittyboy

05-03-2016, 03:03 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by misterkittyboy Quote
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear BigmackCam,
My final conclusion was also to sell the pink camera as used and do away with it.
However, the 12 year wants the "pink camera" regardless. Therefore, we will
hold on to it until she says otherwise.

You all gave me enough information to make a final conclusion nonetheless and
is appreciated.

I will leave this issue as concluded and will move forward on it.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Misterkittyboy
Good luck! The power of the Pink SLR shall not be forgotten in a little girls heart.
05-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Amen. Just remember to press 'OK' before you exit out of that menu setting. ;-)