Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus Confirmation Light Problem

Hi all, I'll break down my full story and question in the next paragraph, but suffice it to say that the red light that shows up in the viewfinder to indicate focus and which focus point is not lighting up. I have the proper "superimpose AF area" option ticked, and the camera still focuses and beeps when it does so, but no light.

The full story:
My camera started to develop the aperture control issue, so since I was at the end of my extended warranty period, I quickly shipped the camera to Precision for repair. Two days ago, I got the camera back from them (a turnaround of ~3 weeks that included waiting for parts for ~2 of them, not bad). The report with the camera indicated that they replaced the offending part, then cleaned the camera and recalibrated the focusing bit. The camera doesn't have the aperture control issue any more, so I've got that going for me. However, the red focus indicator light in the viewfinder doesn't light up any more. My settings in the camera were preserved through the repair (though oddly enough, the color scheme came back different), so I don't think that they altered too much in the firmware.

My problem is this: I liked the red light, especially because I like to photograph wildlife and it makes me feel better to see that it's focusing on the proper thing.

Here's what I think my options are, but I would like any input as to fixing the issue. I'm not sure if it could be a hardware issue or if it's soft/firmware related.

1. Reset the camera to factory settings and see if that fixes it.
Pros: Low opportunity cost
Cons: Have to redo all my settings just how I liked them.

2. Learn to shoot without the light.
Pros: Even lower opportunity cost.
Cons: Not sure.

3. Send it back to Precision.
Pros: Might get fixed, seems like the appropriate course of action.
Cons: Will be without camera for a while again, not even sure if it's their issue.

So I'm looking for any advice as to any known ways to fix the issue, or if I should just learn to deal with it.

Thanks!

04-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The settings reset would be the best place to start. If all goes well, that'll fix the problem and you won't have to send the camera in!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to be clear, the red light only indicates the focus point/s. The green hex in the VF is your focus confirmation. Good luck!