Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2016, 06:50 AM   #211
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by athlonus Quote
Normally it should not make any difference due to the voltage regulator IC, however the plunger is very sensitive to small voltage variations, I need to hook up my scope and read the values with different power cells.

Another fix would be increasing the tension on the counter spring of the arm attached to the plunger's horseshoe. I have not tried indeed.
I was intentionally vague in my question. I'm not sure whether voltage or current would be more important.

10-15-2016, 04:50 AM   #212
Site Supporter

Someone mentioned that this part is also found in DVD players and other such devices. Can anyone else verify this? If we could buy a donor DVD player for 10 that would turn out a whole lot cheaper than buying a 40 camera body.

In my experience, the solenoid would not release the horseshoe at all, even when I sanded the edges down. At the point where it did release (due to sanding all too much), it would not recapture the magnetism leading to shutter flapping and loss of aperture control.
10-15-2016, 08:56 AM   #213

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Someone mentioned that this part is also found in DVD players and other such devices. Can anyone else verify this? If we could buy a donor DVD player for 10 that would turn out a whole lot cheaper than buying a 40 camera body.

In my experience, the solenoid would not release the horseshoe at all, even when I sanded the edges down. At the point where it did release (due to sanding all too much), it would not recapture the magnetism leading to shutter flapping and loss of aperture control.

I would first verify to get momentary voltage to the solenoid, camera body should send the power at a fraction of a second. In some cases, the solenoid coil becomes defective and could not demagnetize against the permanent magnet.

Then your best bet is old walkmans which use logic touch drive instead of direct mechanical click buttons. Those types almost all have the same part with the same size and specs. Before buying a walkman you should make sure it has the part (usually contains one) by looking at the PDF service manual, in the exploded parts view.
10-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #214

I would first verify to get momentary voltage to the solenoid, camera body should send the power at a fraction of a second. In some cases, the solenoid coil becomes defective and could not demagnetize against the permanent magnet.

Then your best bet is old walkmans which use logic touch drive instead of direct mechanical click buttons. Those types almost all have the same part with the same size and specs. Before buying a walkman you should make sure it has the part (usually contains one) by looking at the PDF service manual, in the exploded parts view.
Could you please tell us what old pentax camera models use the exact solenoid that could replace the faulty one in K-30 and K-50?

10-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #215

For sure *ist, K-X, K-R, K10D models have two useful identical solenoids, one for the flash pop up up and the other for the aperture control. I have not checked any film SLRs but they (which were produced since 90's) are very likely to use the same part.
10-16-2016, 03:45 AM   #216
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For sure *ist, K-X, K-R, K10D models have two useful identical solenoids, one for the flash pop up up and the other for the aperture control. I have not checked any film SLRs but they (which were produced since 90's) are very likely to use the same part.
that is correct
10-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #217

Thank you, Do *ist models have one or two solenoids?

Last edited by JoseFF; 10-16-2016 at 08:44 AM.
10-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #218

QuoteOriginally posted by JoseFF Quote
Thank you, Do *ist models have one or two solenoids?
Two... any SLR with electronic flash release button has two. (K-5, K-7 and K-30's flashes are mechanical release so there is no solenoid)

10-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #219
Pentaxian

Possibly a suitable replacement or someone might be able to cross reference an equivalent and find the part used by Ricoh/Hoya/Pentax. Someone could request a sample (payment requested).

Magnet Solenoid for Use in Cameras, Cellphones, Stereos and Other Portable Devices on Global Sources
10-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #220
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With so many of these in use, I would expect them to have figured out this issue by now - unless there are just a few bad batches out there.
10-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #221

Two... any SLR with electronic flash release button has two. (K-5, K-7 and K-30's flashes are mechanical release so there is no solenoid)
Thanks athlonus, I already bought a dead *ist D L to do the replacement in my "sick" K-30.

Last edited by JoseFF; 10-16-2016 at 04:43 PM.
10-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #222
Site Supporter

Very very interesting. If grinding the horseshoe did not work, then will replacing the whole solenoid unit possibly work?

I have a K-x with a broken flash that I've passed onto my little bro for his first DSLR. I might be asking for it back soon enough

And while we're here, the delete button on the K-x is not working (flash up button). Can I possibly also repair that while I'm at it or is it directly linked to the solenoid?

Best Regards
10-17-2016, 12:55 AM   #223
Site Supporter

Here's the part, as shown in the Walkman. I'm currently scouring the internet for hints as to where we might find some. The model that someone provided earlier was called MS-K01. It's an open frame solenoid but I can't find any other way to describe it just yet.

Part in Walkman: http://www.petervis.com/walkmans/WM-EX612/WM-EX612%20Deck%20Mechanism.html

It's called the PM901 "plunger" in Sony Walkman players.

Last edited by HarisF1; 10-17-2016 at 01:11 AM.
10-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #224
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Hee hee, I don't think so ...

Life: 100,000 cycle operation minimum

11-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #225

a new hope..

Hello my name is Alberto... from Spain... first sorry for my english. I have a k50 a couple of months and i very happy with it...And now I have no problem with the solenoid but i am aware that this camera has a fault... and yo do not know when it will occur....

Ive been lookin at several forums in different countries.... here my friend is google...

Ive seen that in Russian forums have solved the problem by acting on the solenoid... but it is unclear what they do....

But yesterday, from a polish forum found a link to a french forum that contains a file type Word o 228 pages on the entire dismantling and different tests done to the k30 and specifically the famous solenoid

On page 211 begins to tes the solenoid an apparently repaired....like?

The solenoid was dirty and had to clean it.... yes.... was diirty..... just that.... after 228 pages with the camera.

This coincides with what intuited in the russian forum.... which is a good thing and bad...

The good news is that one can repair itself or by a general technical service for Little money...

The bad news is that if it is true..... because it does so free pentax???? i do not get it...

Well the link is down..... i hope this helps a lot of people who have trusted pentax. I forgot the file is 33 mb....

http://www.pentaxone.fr/images/Tutoriels/Reparartions/pentax%2Bk-30%2Bdemontage_20160622b.pdf

greetins to all