Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 200 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #226

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
One of my part time jobs in college was fixing pinball machines. These are basically dozens of solenoids and relays. If a solenoid is binding it is usually because of misalignment due to improper installation or wear of the mechanical linkages causing misalignment or swelling of the sleeve around the plunger. Swelling is mostly due to overheating of the coil but could be caused by defects in the materials or lubrication by substances incompatible with the material of the sleeve.

Sanding or polishing the plunger is only a temporary solution at best as there is also wear to the sleeve. This wear is more often than not uneven. Without addressing the misalignment issues you'll get further increased wear and malfunction. Without addressing the wear issues in the sleeve and change the tolerances by sanding/polishing the plunger and/or sleeve you'll get further increased wear and binding.

Sure, we would sand and lubricate these parts but only as a temporary stop gap solution to get the machine up and running (and making money) long enough for us to get the parts and replace them.
As I understand it, the problem is not side clearance of the plunger, but the length of the arms and clearance with the magnet. Shortening the arms ever so slightly seems to prevent the plunger from sticking to the magnet.

11-22-2016, 11:48 PM   #227

Interesting:

Pentax K-30 K-50 Genuine Aperture Solenoid Plunger - Made in Japan - | eBay
11-23-2016, 01:05 AM   #228

See this page... Figure specifications of the solenoid..... 6 v.....

Taiwan Magnet Solenoid from Linkou Dist., Manufacturer: Summit Elec-Tech Co. Ltd

4 AA - 6v.

lithium battery 7 v.....

coincidence?? That's why it works better with AA?? it is a question....
Attached Images

11-23-2016, 01:06 AM   #229
Veteran Member

I'm also selling mine - £35 + PnP. Taken from a K-x.

11-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #230
Pentaxian

Latest K-50 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

^ New firmware update for the K-50. It won't solve aperture control block problem, but this will now give a new lease on life with future KAF4 lenses that have electronic aperture control in the lens. There is only one KAF4 lens at the moment, though.

My guess is that they might release a firmware update for the K-30 too.
11-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #231

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The bottom line is that we simply do not understand this phenomenon. Some people are reporting its cropping up after the camera was left idle for a period of time.
I had the same issue today after my K-50 was idle for a couple month. I found a tip in an UK forum that suggested to de-activate the trigger lock in the menu and do a couple shots without any lens mounted. I did a few single shots without much luck. Put it on sequence shot and let her rip for a few seconds. I noticed that the sequence got increasingly faster so something kind of worked itself free. After that.....all is good. The aperture works as advertised again.

I am still debating to treat myself to a K-1 if I can justify the cost. Like the GPS on that plus the fact that I need a reliable camera when travelling extensively without ready access to replacement for weeks.
11-26-2016, 03:42 AM   #232
Veteran Member

Another temporary fix would be to take F and FA series lenses with you in order to have the manual aperture when required.

11-27-2016, 05:53 AM   #233

Another arrangement is to use AA batteries ... there are people who have worked for you. I have not yet had the problem of the diaphragm ... and I only use AA batteries
11-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #234

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Another temporary fix would be to take F and FA series lenses with you in order to have the manual aperture when required.
Update: The fix is really temporary at best. It is stuck again. Wrote Ricoh "customer care" but do not have much hope as the camera I way out of warranty.

Does anyone have experience with PC35 Photolab's repair? it costs less and claims to be a more permanent fix than The Pentax repair which replaces the control unit basically with the same, making it another play with the odds....
11-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #235

QuoteOriginally posted by Jochenk Quote
Update: The fix is really temporary at best. It is stuck again. Wrote Ricoh "customer care" but do not have much hope as the camera I way out of warranty.

Does anyone have experience with PC35 Photolab's repair? it costs less and claims to be a more permanent fix than The Pentax repair which replaces the control unit basically with the same, making it another play with the odds....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/334112-k30-a...-repaired.html

It would be interesting to mark the components in question before sending it in to see what he replaces or otherwise makes modifications.
11-28-2016, 05:57 AM   #236

QuoteOriginally posted by Jochenk Quote

You may send it to me for a permanent, fair and honest repair if you wish.
12-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #237
Oricman

Frequency of my dark screens seems to increase when LV is used and/or shutter delay, so maybe if the power is lower it struggles to fire the aperture?
I can just about retrieve the images if shot in Raw, but I'm selling my K30.
12-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oricman Quote
Frequency of my dark screens seems to increase when LV is used and/or shutter delay, so maybe if the power is lower it struggles to fire the aperture?
I can just about retrieve the images if shot in Raw, but I'm selling my K30.
Hate say this, but it sounds like the shutter block is malfunctioning
12-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #239
Oricman

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Hate say this, but it sounds like the shutter block is malfunctioning
That may well be right. Same component ???
12-11-2016, 04:50 AM   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oricman Quote
That may well be right. Same component ???
No two ,completely different items. One is the mirror motor controlled by that solenoid and the other is the shutter block which is responsible for the raising of the shutter curtain.