Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 200 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #316
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Hello Clackers, no I am not trying to discourage anyone here from dong this just point out it may not fix it in the end.One quick check to rule out the shutter block is live view.
Or that manual lenses work.

These are the classic aperture block symptoms.

Your case was different.

01-26-2017, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
or that manual lenses work.

These are the classic aperture block symptoms.

Your case was different.
absolutely :
01-27-2017, 06:26 AM   #318
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paolo11 Quote
No, I'm just quoting from what others have done. My problem is exactly what others have experienced, dark images when at large F stop, and the shutter not opening at small F stops.
The solenoid controls the aperture, if it doesn't release, the aperture will always close to the minimum diameter. I got images with identical settings, reviewable in the detailed info screen or the exif data, but some of them badly underexposed.
This has nothing to do with the shutter, I never had completely dark images. If that happens, you have another problem in addition to the one with the solenoid, and just not exactly what the others have had.

The solenoid I removed was neither shorted nor burnt, it looked like new. Somewhere back in this thread there's a post stating that the underlying cause is electrical, that the solenoid is out of spec. This may be caused by all sorts of things, incorrect winding count or conductivity of the wire, incorrect wire type or material of the 'horseshoes', too strong permanent magnet in comparison to the power the electromagnet can build up, incorrect regulation in the power supply combined with the parameters of the windings... Without much research, it's hard to say, and frankly not that relevant if it can be fixed by replacing that part.

Interestingly enough, although it's clear that a certain number of people have encountered this problem, there don't seem to be many faulty K-30/50s for sale. The aperture system, having been used since film SLR days, should be reliable enough. So there's a good chance that a lot of K-30/50s and their successors are actually as reliable as the models that came before them.
01-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #319

QuoteQuote:
Without much research, it's hard to say, and frankly not that relevant if it can be fixed by replacing that part.
Why do you think that? I think you would be right when the problem is not caused by a fabrication error in the component but by an external factor (for example an issue in the circuitry causing damage to the solenoid/plunger over time, or something like that). But I do not think that's the case as when you send your camera to pentax precission repair they replace the aperture block which, as far as I know, do not contain any pcb or whatsever. Furthermore, a number of people reported to fix the issue by replacing the actuator with a copy from a donor camera or even a CD drive. So I think replacing the part would be a perfect solution. (sorry for my bad english)

01-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #320
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TV95 Quote
Furthermore, a number of people reported to fix the issue by replacing the actuator with a copy from a donor camera or even a CD drive. So I think replacing the part would be a perfect solution. (sorry for my bad english)
Err... yes? That's what I did and said :-)
01-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #321

I think you people are assuming "Aperture block" refers to the one part (solenoid) yet if you look at any of the Pentax part list diagrams when they refer to "Shutter block" it refers to an assembly of parts (plate with gears).
01-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #322

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have no idea what the root issue is, and I'm not convinced anyone else does either.

I am willing to believe that the folk in Calif have found a fix that alleviates the problem, but it isn't necessarily directed at the root issue (*)

(*) Before someone complains about this logic, consider a "slide" {inclined plane} which was incorrectly manufactured, having too much friction, so objects sometimes get stuck partway down. Polishing the plane would address the root issue. However, other solutions, such as increasing its slope or greasing it, might also cause it to work correctly.
I'm with you about the root cause. Wonder if anyone had it repaired in Europe,and knows what the repair was besides replacing the entire block? I was an electronic technician before moving into S/W engineering,and I use to T/S to the component level, but now a days boards are cheaper due to mass production, so techs just replace whatever board is at fault. But the design engineer should be able to figure out the problem, and make the necessary modification.

I feel this is what happens here in the states where Pentax uses Precision camera repair in CT, they just replace the entire aperture block (if indeed the problem). So, if it's not been modified,then the problem will repeat over time. I called and asked the question, and couldn't get an answer, perhaps if I had it repaired and saw the bill, then I would know.

K50 is still working fine, I change the F stop back and forth, small to big, big to small, change the ISO. And it's perfect.

BTW, I have a "cheap" Pentax XG-1 52 X zoom, paid about $200.00, zoom is from 24 mm to 1249 mm, have got nice moon shots. And I love it. I use it when I cycle as it weights 1 1/2 pounds, strap it around my waist (in a bag), and stop for nature shots.

01-27-2017, 08:06 AM   #323

QuoteOriginally posted by sys3175 Quote
Err... yes? That's what I did and said :-)
Lol I didn't realize it was you who did this. But I still do not understand what you mean with this remark:
QuoteQuote:
Without much research, it's hard to say, and frankly not that relevant if it can be fixed by replacing that part.
01-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #324
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TV95 Quote
But I still do not understand what you mean
I meant that finding the reason for the failure is just a theoretical discussion, and for me, it's more important that changing the solenoid fixes the problem than actually finding out why the original part fails.

After a few days, with the replaced part, I still can say that the error has not come back so far. Everything works like it should.
01-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #325
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sys3175 Quote
I meant that finding the reason for the failure is just a theoretical discussion, and for me, it's more important that changing the solenoid fixes the problem than actually finding out why the original part fails.

After a few days, with the replaced part, I still can say that the error has not come back so far. Everything works like it should.
We have heard stories of persons (*) who have sent a camera in to Pentax for repair and had the repaired camera fail. Those stories, and other things as well, are why I believe a "true answer" matters. Did Pentax get a bad load with no way to tell "good" parts from "bad" ones? {and if so, what distinguishes between "good" and "bad"}. This part is apparently used in lots of different consumer goods, but these particular cameras are the only place we've heard of problems; are the requirements here tougher? {and if that is true, will some of you who took parts from somewhere else have a repeat issue in six months?}. Without an understanding of "theory", everything said here is just wind - with no assurance that tomorrow won't bring a completely new understanding of "truth".

added: I have a K-30 with shutter count = 1379 {yes, I am a low-volume photographer} that worked correctly when I used it yesterday. If we had a complete understanding of what causes the problem, then perhaps that could inform what I do today and tomorrow so that the K-30 will continue to function correctly as long as I need it to - until I can scrape up enough money to buy a K-70 {or perhaps even a KP}

(*) I don't want to offend anyone by saying "guys" and then finding out that one of the aggrieved parties is female and feels left out

Last edited by reh321; 01-27-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: added comment
01-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #326

I agree,reason I ask so many questions, and give my experience with the camera.. It's too bad that Pentax reps don't read these threads, and perhaps come back with an answer, but then they could be open to liable.

If the repair uses the same aperture block, then indeed, you can expect a failure.

So, have you had any issues with your K30? My wife's went south taking Xmas pictures of her family, great timing. Her count on her K50 was 1140, two years old.

My wife's 2011 Kia Sportage had a bad light switch, after it was fixed, Kia had a recall to repair others. So yes, you can get a bad batch of anything. Difference being we have the NTSB as a watchdog for vehicles.

I was told by Pentax reps that the K70 doesn't use the K50 aperture block.
01-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #327
Forum Member

hi all, i also have a k30 with what i believe is the aperture block problem. i sent an e-mail to pentax camera repair this morning at about 10:30am & they have replied to my e-mail just after noon time. i am very surprised by the quick response, today being a sunday i didn't expect any reply till tomorrow at the earliest. i will sent my camera for repair later this week.
01-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nutkasse Quote
hi all, i also have a k30 with what i believe is the aperture block problem. i sent an e-mail to pentax camera repair this morning at about 10:30am & they have replied to my e-mail just after noon time. i am very surprised by the quick response, today being a sunday i didn't expect any reply till tomorrow at the earliest. i will sent my camera for repair later this week.
WOW they must be reading all of this horror here. All I can say is they should have offered a free fix to every last camera, as they well knew there was a problem.Even EBAY protects you better than this.
01-29-2017, 11:23 PM   #329
Veteran Member

What I would find interesting, is knowing what percentage of Pentax K-30/50's are affected by these problems, and how many first time users, and perhaps even diehard Pentax fans, decided to jump ship because of these problems...

If the K-30/50 was my first DSLR purchase, and I had the problems that I've experienced with mine, it would've been the last Pentax purchased by me.

What bugs me is that there are still new K-30/50's on store shelves, and even people selling their repaired bodies, knowing that the new owners will in all likelihood have a problem with their cameras later on...
01-30-2017, 07:09 AM   #330
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
What I would find interesting, is knowing what percentage of Pentax K-30/50's are affected by these problems, and how many first time users, and perhaps even diehard Pentax fans, decided to jump ship because of these problems...

If the K-30/50 was my first DSLR purchase, and I had the problems that I've experienced with mine, it would've been the last Pentax purchased by me.

What bugs me is that there are still new K-30/50's on store shelves, and even people selling their repaired bodies, knowing that the new owners will in all likelihood have a problem with their cameras later on...
Your last sentence conflicts with your first.
People selling K-30/50 cameras "know that the new owners will in all likelihood have a problem" only if a high percentage of the cameras are affected by these problems, but first sentence clearly indicates no idea what that percentage is.

Last edited by reh321; 01-30-2017 at 07:28 AM. Reason: restate