Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2017, 03:10 AM   #616
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone know where the cheapest place to get this done is (in the US)? My daughter's KS-1 is operating in this fashion and it's no longer under warranty. I hate to spend a bunch sending it to Precision, but at the same time if all of the replacement cameras in that price range are prone to the same fault, getting one of those wouldn't necessarily make the situation better either.

(I don't have the mechanical skills necessary to do this sort of fix myself).

08-06-2017, 06:51 AM   #617
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Does anyone know where the cheapest place to get this done is (in the US)? My daughter's KS-1 is operating in this fashion and it's no longer under warranty. I hate to spend a bunch sending it to Precision, but at the same time if all of the replacement cameras in that price range are prone to the same fault, getting one of those wouldn't necessarily make the situation better either.

(I don't have the mechanical skills necessary to do this sort of fix myself).
For what it's worth, here is a person who says he'll fix it for $100 plus shipping -- Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair -- and gives a one year warranty.

I've seen some posts here on the forum saying his repair worked, but have no personal experience.

I've also noted that he says he modifies the part (solenoid) to correct the problem, while others who modified their's found that the problem returned.
08-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #618

So just because it is my first post, it become uncredible? It is misleading to call my statements somewhat false. 1000 forum replies does not make you a expert.

I've tested DAL and a sigma 18-35. The problems are the same as many people discuss in this and many other forums.

You guys try to be enginnering experts and figure out the problem, but it does not work out too good.

Every company tries to make as much money as they can, not only through sales. Repairs is also a important part in making money. Every company knowingly leaves some faults. For example: Renaults always have problems with leaking coolers.

The aperture failure is not a mechanical problem, since the engine has no problem with pushing back on heavier levers. It is clearly a software problem.
08-07-2017, 01:57 AM   #619
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Deliver

QuoteOriginally posted by umuttepe Quote
So just because it is my first post, it become uncredible?
No, it's not about quantity, but quality!

Nevertheless: If you first post is based solely on unverified statements and basically has the central message of
"NO"... you are all wrong but I am Mr. Right.... then you need to "deliver". You have to deliver facts and not just statements!
Period.

It is misleading to call my statements somewhat false. 1000 forum replies does not make you a expert..
And one single statement based on zero evidence is basicallly "hot air".

I've tested DAL and a sigma 18-35.
Well, those are just two lenses plus an M lense. So this is not much evidence.

The problems are the same as many people discuss in this and many other forums.
Yes and now comes Mr. Superright and knows best but can't deliver any facts

You guys try to be enginnering experts and figure out the problem, but it does not work out too good.
Strawman argument

Every company tries to make as much money as they can, not only through sales. Repairs is also a important part in making money. Every company knowingly leaves some faults. For example: Renaults always have problems with leaking coolers..
So lets start a Renault cool threat instead.
Again: Strawman fallacy

The aperture failure is not a mechanical problem, since the engine has no problem with pushing back on heavier levers. It is clearly a software problem.
Repetion of zero remains zero.

Even if you trumpet it in all TV shows: It will not become true!

So deliver! Facts! Prove!

08-07-2017, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #620
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
. It is clearly a software problem.
Evidence?

Repairs are done by owners or Precision by replacing a physical part.

There is no firmware upgrade that fixes it.
08-07-2017, 03:45 AM   #621
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As many members have now repaired their cameras with no software changes / firmware updates, but by modifying or replacing the solenoid, I think the evidence points to a mechanical failure and not a software one.
If you have any evidence that a firmware update will fix this problem, then I would suggest you post that information.

Now with my moderator hat on: Hi Umuttepe. I see you're fairly new here. Please keep your responses to other members civil, or you'll find your posting privileges in this thread will come to an end.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 08-08-2017 at 03:12 AM.
08-08-2017, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #622

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Several people have invested quite a lot of research in finding out what the culprit is.
There is no definite answer, but we came at least quite close to identify the bug.
You have to research this thread and one or two other threads.
My thoughts on that were more related to the poster who mentioned they had measured certain specifications and found them to be the same. More conjecture, I know but I work with metals and metal alloys every day so naturally, it came to mind based on some comments I had read in one of these threads. To clarify, I am not suggesting that is the problem, just noting a thought.

As far as I am concerned, I am on the same page as you. The people of this forum have spent quite a while working through this problem, trying different solutions, and taking the time to post results and reflections. People can either nitpick over what parts of what videos or tutorials are incorrect or piece together a cohesive solution. One of those two things won't bring them any closer to fixing their camera and I can assure them, all of the information is out there. Most of it is here.

08-11-2017, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #623
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm.... I had a K-30 that had the dreaded aperture lock problem, so I sent it to the fella' in California. He fixed the problem post haste and had it back in my hands within two weeks. It worked like new for about 6 months, then this morning I'm back to the same ole problem! I called Mark (the repairman) and he said to ship it back to him and he'd take care of the problem. It was guaranteed for a year, so all I'll pay for is the shipping.

I read one poster who suggested substituting the AA battery adapter for the LI 109 and voila! It worked perfectly! I mentioned this to Mark (the repairman in California) and asked what difference he thought that might possible have to do with the problem. He said something about the voltage.... so, just for S&G's, I placed a FULLY CHARGED Li109 battery in the camera and I'll be danged if it didn't work like new! So, I've retired the suspect battery and will wait and see if that was the culprit. But, don't want to wait too long or my one year warranty will be null and void.

This is a very exasperating situation that Pentax should have addressed long ago! A very poor way to maintain customer loyalty, me thinks. I love my K-30's and K-50, but it's sorta' like having an unfaithful wife! Can't trust her!
08-12-2017, 01:14 AM   #624
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Hmmm.... I had a K-30 that had the dreaded aperture lock problem, so I sent it to the fella' in California. He fixed the problem post haste and had it back in my hands within two weeks. It worked like new for about 6 months, then this morning I'm back to the same ole problem! I called Mark (the repairman) and he said to ship it back to him and he'd take care of the problem. It was guaranteed for a year, so all I'll pay for is the shipping.
It would be worth to really know what Mark from California really repairs!

I think you should really pin him down and make him give you at least a clear statement if he replaces the old (green) solenoid with a white "made
in Japan" version.

Because otherwise it most likely is going to be the filing down of the horseshoe which is said* not to be a permanent solution.

*I have myself no experience with this method

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I read one poster who suggested substituting the AA battery adapter for the LI 109 and voila! It worked perfectly! I mentioned this to Mark (the repairman in California) and asked what difference he thought that might possible have to do with the problem. He said something about the voltage.... so, just for S&G's, I placed a FULLY CHARGED Li109 battery in the camera and I'll be danged if it didn't work like new! So, I've retired the suspect battery and will wait and see if that was the culprit. But, don't want to wait too long or my one year warranty will be null and void.
This is not really a permanent solution either but might just give a little bit more "force" to the coils of the solenoid so it can release the horseshoe.
08-28-2017, 07:35 AM   #625

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
It would be worth to really know what Mark from California really repairs!

I think you should really pin him down and make him give you at least a clear statement if he replaces the old (green) solenoid with a white "made
in Japan" version.

Because otherwise it most likely is going to be the filing down of the horseshoe which is said* not to be a permanent solution.

*I have myself no experience with this method

This is not really a permanent solution either but might just give a little bit more "force" to the coils of the solenoid so it can release the horseshoe.
photogem.
I am sure, you are right about the statement, that the force to the permanent magnet, is greater when using NiMH battery, because the current they can apply to the solenoid, is greater than the stock lithium battery. I have only using NiMH battery so far, and have not yet experiments problem with my lowly K-50 camera. It have only 1200 shutter count. I hope it will keep going, for at least 50000 shutter clicks. I have been a fan of Pentax since the start of the eighties, when I first purchased a Pentax camera. I hope, they will carry on make beautifully cameras, until I not can use them any more. :-)

Best regards,

Torben Pedersen
Denmark
09-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #626

I had K-30 with aperture block issue. I followed youtube video 'how to fix Pentax K50 and K30 with aperture problem' to disassemble camera. I took horseshoe magnet out, sanded it a little bit, sprayed with WD-40, cleaned and put back. Camera works now. Total time to disassemble sand, clean and assemble was 1h 20 minutes.
09-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #627

wd-40 huge error. Not recommended for sensitive electronics. My take, you mean filed it down a bit and it's not a permanent fix
09-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #628
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
wd-40 huge error. Not recommended for sensitive electronics. My take, you mean filed it down a bit and it's not a permanent fix
How about either teflon or graphite?
09-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #629

I got this info from someone on this site. He/She recommended. It might be neither or both The main ingredient is PTFE lubricated. And I'm not technical. I'm responding regarding,monopod mount lubricant. Would you put them in the same league.
09-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lubrification of the Solenoid and why filing the horseshoe is not a permanent fix!

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
How about either teflon or graphite?
WD-40 is for sure the very wrong approach. It contains white spirit and will eventually attack any surface. Even bike-enthusiast won't use it anymore for bikechains, which says a lot.

Dry teflon or graphite lube might help, but again, why not go the whole hog and install the white solenoid and it is all done for perfection?
Why chose the cheap and uncertain way?