Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2022, 04:38 AM   #1036
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I got this soldering iron you recommended:
60W Electric soldering iron temperature adjustable 220V Welding Solder ir_E9 | eBay

It says temperature control but I can't find any. It seems so that for temperaturecontrol one needs to change the complete tip, i.e.

those ones:
5Pcs 30W/40W/60W/80W Replacement Soldering Iron Tip Blue Lead-Free SolderEX | eBay

As it is now, it is way too hot: 400degrees Celsius, it melts silver solder after 2 min. heating up time.

First impression:
- difficult to beat for what you pay for, but no temperature-control, too hot
- balance not very good, front parts to heavy, tilt and thus much more difficult to do sensitive soldering
- it smokes like hell for the first minutes and stinks terribly: Burn-in period must be done outside!
- very (too) short cable

I have taken quick photos of the soldering iron on the scale (it weighs 63 grams vs. 40g of my Weller and Ersa)

One can see how the Chinese soldering iron tips downwards on the front.
The smallest one is my Weller WSP80 which one can find on ebay from China quite cheap, a precision tool for those doing a lot of soldering and needing variable temperature which is very precise. I can do very heavy soldering with it and tiny components.
In the middle my "travel-soldering-iron", the Ersa Multitip 25W with penciltip

Soldering a solenoid with the Chinese soldering-iron as it is now is a bit like sewing with boxing gloves on one's hands
The large tube holding the tip with the 2 screws is much to close to components and in the way. One can work with it, no question,
any good craftsman can work with "inappropriate tools" and do the job, but... if I can afford it, I prefer precision tools.
Ain't it the same as with cameras and lenses?

You can use a huge Sigma 28-200 or a Voigtlander 28-210 APO on your KP, but again:

Boxing gloves! My point of view.

I have seen 15Watt soldering-irons, similar prices but much better for the job.
That doesn't look like the soldering iron that was recommended. It certainly isn't the one I bought.

07-04-2022, 04:52 AM   #1037
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got this soldering iron you recommended:
60W Electric soldering iron temperature adjustable 220V Welding Solder ir_E9 | eBay

It says temperature control but I can't find any. It seems so that for temperaturecontrol one needs to change the complete tip, i.e.

those ones:
5Pcs 30W/40W/60W/80W Replacement Soldering Iron Tip Blue Lead-Free SolderEX | eBay

As it is now, it is way too hot: 400degrees Celsius, it melts silver solder after 2 min. heating up time.

First impression:
- difficult to beat for what you pay for, but no temperature-control, too hot
- balance not very good, front parts to heavy, tilt and thus much more difficult to do sensitive soldering
- it smokes like hell for the first minutes and stinks terribly: Burn-in period must be done outside!
- very (too) short cable

I have taken quick photos of the soldering iron on the scale (it weighs 63 grams vs. 40g of my Weller and Ersa)

One can see how the Chinese soldering iron tips downwards on the front.
The smallest one is my Weller WSP80 which one can find on ebay from China quite cheap, a precision tool for those doing a lot of soldering and needing variable temperature which is very precise. I can do very heavy soldering with it and tiny components.
In the middle my "travel-soldering-iron", the Ersa Multitip 25W with penciltip

Soldering a solenoid with the Chinese soldering-iron as it is now is a bit like sewing with boxing gloves on one's hands
The large tube holding the tip with the 2 screws is much to close to components and in the way. One can work with it, no question,
any good craftsman can work with "inappropriate tools" and do the job, but... if I can afford it, I prefer precision tools.
Ain't it the same as with cameras and lenses?

You can use a huge Sigma 28-200 or a Voigtlander 28-210 APO on your KP, but again:

Boxing gloves! My point of view.

I have seen soldering-irons, similar prices but much better for the job:
Soldering Iron Kit Electric 110V 220V LED Temp Adjustable Solder Gun Welding 80W | eBay as the more advanced one.
Here's mine-https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274921776901
Variable control, and identical to my original. I also bought a similar one ( 60W Adjustable Temp Soldering Iron Kit Electronics Welding Solder Irons Tool UK | eBay), and although the photo was different from the iron that arrived, it also has an identical variable control. It doesn't have the vented sleeve that holds the tip, so may not cool as quickly as my original. Both work well, and do not evaporate my flux too quickly.
07-04-2022, 09:54 AM   #1038
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
That doesn't look like the soldering iron that was recommended. It certainly isn't the one I bought.
Recommended was not any ebay # but this:

QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
Hi.
If you search on ebay for "Electric Soldering Iron Adjustable Temperature 60W Welding Solder Wire Kit Goody"
So that's what I searched for on ebay.uk and the one I got showed up many times then.

Doesn't matter, now we have... a strong bit delayed... an ebay Number/link and that one looks much better.
07-04-2022, 10:04 AM   #1039
Pentaxian

So that's what I searched for on ebay.uk and the one I got showed up many times then.

Doesn't matter, now we have... a strong bit delayed... an ebay Number/link and that one looks much better.
If you ordered an adjustable temperature iron the one you received clearly was not! If that is the case, send it back as 'not as described'-I certainly would. The main problem with Chinese-sourced sellers is that they play fast and loose with descriptions, often blatently copying other seller's descriptions. the second solering iron I received was not the one pictured, but since it came with 48 tips, as well as being adjustable temperature, all for a touch over 10, it seemed churlish to return it. And it works well....

07-04-2022, 10:13 AM   #1040
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Maybe the search results you see depend on where you live. If I search for the same text I don't see the one you bought.

07-04-2022, 10:25 AM   #1041
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could all be, but sending it back is not worth the trouble, I have to pay shipping costs, which back to China would be more than the soldering-iron was.

It will find it's use somewhere.

I should have asked for the ebay-#, my mistake!
07-04-2022, 10:29 AM   #1042
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Maybe the search results you see depend on where you live. If I search for the same text I don't see the one you bought.
But if the iron was described as 'adjustable temperature', and what you received was not, that is not as described. I would send it back PDQ! Sellers that use misleading descriptions should be rooted out of ebay, they are a PITA!

---------- Post added 07-04-22 at 10:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
But if the iron was described as 'adjustable temperature', and what you received was not, that is not as described. I would send it back PDQ! Sellers that use misleading descriptions should be rooted out of ebay, they are a PITA!
And again, if the item was not as described, ebay rules state that the seller should pay for return postage. If they will not play ball,ebay will find in your favour, and you keep the existing iron, and get you money back.