Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 200 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2016, 01:14 AM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Absolutely gutted this evening. Having been right through to the aperture magnetic solenoid component, I found the top FPC connector broken, so couldn't correctly reattached the top ribbon cable.
As a result the top plate dials, such as the mode control and live view button etc don't work.
Had disconnected to avoid breaking the ribbon, as I'd heard it was fragile, but am now unable to connect the ribbon back.

Huge waste of time, and I can't contribute if my aperture solenoid tweaking actually had a positive result

Personally, for anyone else considering this, I don't necessarily think you need to disconnect either the cable or desolder the flash side wires either, to proceed further down and remove the front plate.

07-20-2016, 01:40 AM   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Absolutely gutted this evening. Having been right through to the aperture magnetic solenoid component, I found the top FPC connector broken, so couldn't correctly reattached the top ribbon cable.
As a result the top plate dials, such as the mode control and live view button etc don't work.
Had disconnected to avoid breaking the ribbon, as I'd heard it was fragile, but am now unable to connect the ribbon back.

Huge waste of time, and I can't contribute if my aperture solenoid tweaking actually had a positive result

Personally, for anyone else considering this, I don't necessarily think you need to disconnect either the cable or desolder the flash side wires either, to proceed further down and remove the front plate.
When you say you found the FPC broken Plz elaborate. As far as the ribbon cable I broke mine cus I didnt disconnect it. Y ou should be able to slide it back it unless somehow you damage the socket. Use a magnifying glass and look for a tab usually white and slide it up put your ribbon in and push the tab back down.
07-20-2016, 01:43 AM   #183
Pentaxian

No the socket is damaged. Ribbon is fine, but cannot be seated correctly/reliably any more.
07-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
No the socket is damaged. Ribbon is fine, but cannot be seated correctly/reliably any more.
did the tab get ruined? some times the things are tricky. I had one where you couldnt tell it was connected but it was.

07-20-2016, 02:43 AM   #185
Pentaxian

There is a tiny 1mm section that has come off the socket. The socket is broken and the cable can no longer align or seat properly. Which rather stuffs it, but is a lesson at least for others.
07-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #186

I have been reading this after be thoroughly disgusted by the lack of support for this known problem by Pentax. Last nigh I decided to take my K-50 apart and have a look(nothing to loose). I noticed the electro magnet on the right side of the lens and I wiggled the white gear. The camera will work after doing this but only for a few hours then it quiets again. I assume I need to replace the motor in the link above?

Thanks
Mike
07-20-2016, 03:14 AM   #187
Pentaxian

I just say the whole thing could have been handled better for sure. All brands have issues, but it's what they do about it that counts.

I feel the same when I read of other brands brining new features and capabilities to their products years later via free firmware upgrades...

07-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #188

So if I replace the motor with the one above will that take care of it?
07-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mt92 Quote
So if I replace the motor with the one above will that take care of it?
It is a major job, to get to that aperture motor,. First you need to disassemble it all the way down to the mirror box. That means the t100 board has to come off followed by the shake reduction block followed by the shutter block and remove the battery compartment and then raise the mirror by giving the motor 2 volts and then carefully removing the aperture block and whilist you are there just replace the whole damn thing along with the shutter. unless you like these little hobbies, it is best to avoid it and leave well enough alone. Also you better be an expert micro solderer.
07-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
It is a major job, to get to that aperture motor,. First you need to disassemble it all the way down to the mirror box. That means the t100 board has to come off followed by the shake reduction block followed by the shutter block and remove the battery compartment and then raise the mirror by giving the motor 2 volts and then carefully removing the aperture block and whilist you are there just replace the whole damn thing along with the shutter. unless you like these little hobbies, it is best to avoid it and leave well enough alone. Also you better be an expert micro solderer.

I'd say replacing my V-8 timing belt a blindfold job, by comparison.
07-21-2016, 02:55 AM   #191

Does working on the magnetic latch as illustrated in the beginning of this thread do any good?
07-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those of you who have had this kind of problems with your K30/50...please click on the link to answer the poll

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/325832-poll-establis...re-issues.html
07-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If I understand correctly, your survey was a followup to another survey
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/325815-survey-shutte...r-failure.html
{please do answer these surveys if you do care about this matter - the results so far suggest that the problem is less serious than the stories would indicate}
You could say so... but my poll is directed to find out if there is a relationship between the two issues. The result should let us know how many of the cameras that presented issue number 1 (Aperture failure) have also presented issue number 2.
My K-30 at the moment presents only number 1, so far nothing indicates symptoms of issue number 2. My fingers are crossed !!
07-25-2016, 10:30 AM - 2 Likes   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mt92 Quote
Does working on the magnetic latch as illustrated in the beginning of this thread do any good?
I have been looking at the aperture mechanism on a K-x (model I currently have with the covers off). It looks like the horseshoe solenoid referred to at the beginning of this thread is used to stop the aperture from closing down when the mirror motor is activated. I was experimenting using manual (M) mode and a long shutter time (in seconds).

If I set the aperture to the maximum value for the lens, the solenoid actuates immediately and the gear that drives the aperture lever does not turn when the mirror flips up. If I set a smaller aperture the solenoid activation looks to be delayed, and the gear turns part way to step the aperture down. Looking at the the photos of the aperture mechanism in the thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/325334-k-30-...iy-repair.html it looks like the gear set include a rotation sensor (disc with holes in last photo) that could detect how far the aperture has opened. The lever may then be stopped at the required aperture by actuating the solenoid.

If the solenoid is sticking (or being held in place by magnetization of the core) it looks quite possible that the aperture would always close all the way down. Looking around the web, it appears the same basic design was also used back on the auto focus film cameras prior to the *ist D.
07-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I have been looking at the aperture mechanism on a K-x (model I currently have with the covers off). It looks like the horseshoe solenoid referred to at the beginning of this thread is used to stop the aperture from closing down when the mirror motor is activated. I was experimenting using manual (M) mode and a long shutter time (in seconds).

If I set the aperture to the maximum value for the lens, the solenoid actuates immediately and the gear that drives the aperture lever does not turn when the mirror flips up. If I set a smaller aperture the solenoid activation looks to be delayed, and the gear turns part way to step the aperture down. Looking at the the photos of the aperture mechanism in the thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/325334-k-30-...iy-repair.html it looks like the gear set include a rotation sensor (disc with holes in last photo) that could detect how far the aperture has opened. The lever may then be stopped at the required aperture by actuating the solenoid.

If the solenoid is sticking (or being held in place by magnetization of the core) it looks quite possible that the aperture would always close all the way down. Looking around the web, it appears the same basic design was also used back on the auto focus film cameras prior to the *ist D.
Nice observation, point noted.