Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by athlonus Quote
For sure *ist, K-X, K-R, K10D models have two useful identical solenoids, one for the flash pop up up and the other for the aperture control. I have not checked any film SLRs but they (which were produced since 90's) are very likely to use the same part.
Thank you, Do *ist models have one or two solenoids?

Last edited by JoseFF; 10-16-2016 at 08:44 AM.
10-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #212

QuoteOriginally posted by JoseFF Quote
Thank you, Do *ist models have one or two solenoids?
Two... any SLR with electronic flash release button has two. (K-5, K-7 and K-30's flashes are mechanical release so there is no solenoid)
10-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #213

Possibly a suitable replacement or someone might be able to cross reference an equivalent and find the part used by Ricoh/Hoya/Pentax. Someone could request a sample (payment requested).

Magnet Solenoid for Use in Cameras, Cellphones, Stereos and Other Portable Devices on Global Sources
10-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For sure *ist, K-X, K-R, K10D models have two useful identical solenoids, one for the flash pop up up and the other for the aperture control. I have not checked any film SLRs but they (which were produced since 90's) are very likely to use the same part.
With so many of these in use, I would expect them to have figured out this issue by now - unless there are just a few bad batches out there.

10-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two... any SLR with electronic flash release button has two. (K-5, K-7 and K-30's flashes are mechanical release so there is no solenoid)
Thanks athlonus, I already bought a dead *ist D L to do the replacement in my "sick" K-30.

Last edited by JoseFF; 10-16-2016 at 04:43 PM.
10-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #216
Veteran Member

Very very interesting. If grinding the horseshoe did not work, then will replacing the whole solenoid unit possibly work?

I have a K-x with a broken flash that I've passed onto my little bro for his first DSLR. I might be asking for it back soon enough

And while we're here, the delete button on the K-x is not working (flash up button). Can I possibly also repair that while I'm at it or is it directly linked to the solenoid?

Best Regards
10-17-2016, 12:55 AM   #217
Veteran Member

Here's the part, as shown in the Walkman. I'm currently scouring the internet for hints as to where we might find some. The model that someone provided earlier was called MS-K01. It's an open frame solenoid but I can't find any other way to describe it just yet.

Part in Walkman: http://www.petervis.com/walkmans/WM-EX612/WM-EX612%20Deck%20Mechanism.html

It's called the PM901 "plunger" in Sony Walkman players.

Last edited by HarisF1; 10-17-2016 at 01:11 AM.
10-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #218
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Hee hee, I don't think so ...

Life: 100,000 cycle operation minimum

11-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #219

a new hope..

Hello my name is Alberto... from Spain... first sorry for my english. I have a k50 a couple of months and i very happy with it...And now I have no problem with the solenoid but i am aware that this camera has a fault... and yo do not know when it will occur....

I´ve been lookin at several forums in different countries.... here my friend is google...

I´ve seen that in Russian forums have solved the problem by acting on the solenoid... but it is unclear what they do....

But yesterday, from a polish forum found a link to a french forum that contains a file type Word o 228 pages on the entire dismantling and different tests done to the k30 and specifically the famous solenoid

On page 211 begins to tes the solenoid an apparently repaired....like?

The solenoid was dirty and had to clean it.... yes.... was diirty..... just that.... after 228 pages with the camera.

This coincides with what intuited in the russian forum.... which is a good thing and bad...

The good news is that one can repair itself or by a general technical service for Little money...

The bad news is that if it is true..... because it does so free pentax???? i do not get it...

Well the link is down..... i hope this helps a lot of people who have trusted pentax. I forgot the file is 33 mb....

http://www.pentaxone.fr/images/Tutoriels/Reparartions/pentax%2Bk-30%2Bdemontage_20160622b.pdf

greetins to all
11-08-2016, 06:47 AM   #220
Forum Member

I skimmed it with Google Translate and I think he's saying that the k-x mechanism works with lower voltage and less impulse than the K30. Also that shaving down the magnet (as people here have done) and cleaning only works temporarily?
11-09-2016, 06:06 AM   #221

QuoteOriginally posted by ekip Quote
I skimmed it with Google Translate and I think he's saying that the k-x mechanism works with lower voltage and less impulse than the K30. Also that shaving down the magnet (as people here have done) and cleaning only works temporarily?
Please ignore the shaving thing, it is not the real solution since that method decreases the magnetic grip of the solenoid. You need to get the part as mentioned, and YES even if it is a walkman originated solenoid it will last at least 100.000 actuations.
11-09-2016, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #222
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please ignore the shaving thing, it is not the real solution since that method decreases the magnetic grip of the solenoid. You need to get the part as mentioned, and YES even if it is a walkman originated solenoid it will last at least 100.000 actuations.
The bottom line is that we simply do not understand this phenomenon. Some people are reporting its coming up after the camera was left idle for a period of time.

Last edited by reh321; 08-01-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: fixed wording
11-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by albertoM Quote
Hello my name is Alberto... from Spain... first sorry for my english. I have a k50 a couple of months and i very happy with it...And now I have no problem with the solenoid but i am aware that this camera has a fault... and yo do not know when it will occur....

I´ve been lookin at several forums in different countries.... here my friend is google...

I´ve seen that in Russian forums have solved the problem by acting on the solenoid... but it is unclear what they do....

But yesterday, from a polish forum found a link to a french forum that contains a file type Word o 228 pages on the entire dismantling and different tests done to the k30 and specifically the famous solenoid

On page 211 begins to tes the solenoid an apparently repaired....like?

The solenoid was dirty and had to clean it.... yes.... was diirty..... just that.... after 228 pages with the camera.

This coincides with what intuited in the russian forum.... which is a good thing and bad...

The good news is that one can repair itself or by a general technical service for Little money...

The bad news is that if it is true..... because it does so free pentax???? i do not get it...

Well the link is down..... i hope this helps a lot of people who have trusted pentax. I forgot the file is 33 mb....

http://www.pentaxone.fr/images/Tutoriels/Reparartions/pentax%2Bk-30%2Bdemontage_20160622b.pdf

greetins to all
Hello Alberto, Did you read in the document that the solenoid was dirty? Could you tell me where exactly? Thanks in advance!!
11-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #224

Hi,

DSLR and Flash tech is here. I work on all major DSLR systems.

When compared to others, Pentax is a very competent and high quality brand. They just suffered from bad management and supply chain issues since Hoya ownership. We will see how Ricoh would do.

Anyways...

I have been reading the posts and only a few have a clue on what the issue is.

First, the part called 'solenoid plunger' is defective. It is out of voltage specs, requiring more power (than normal plungers used in older models) to disengage and let the main metal aperture gear which runs inside an optocoupler to stop on time. When it does not release the horsehoe aperture gear has nothing to be stopped by and goes all the way down (i.e. F22)

If you sand or modify the plunger, it will very likely to stop disengaging since it is very delicate. The Russian method is wrong, DSLR are not make like Ladas.

The official solution is to replace the plunger with a good one from older models. It is a very hard to find part but you can use some donors.

On the other hand, K-1.K-3, K-5 and K-7 systems are entirely different. There is only one step motor to control the aperture and they are less likely to fail.

As far as I see, K-x (K-m), K-r and newer entry level models use solenoid controlled aperture block only and whenever there is a bad batch of solenoid plunger inside it will stop in the early life of the camera.

Good day to all!
What you say about the plunger being delicate may be true, but <slightly> sanding the ends did solve the aperture block problem on my K-30 and the repair continues to hold up. I think it's worth a try before trying to find a replacement plunger.
11-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #225

One of my part time jobs in college was fixing pinball machines. These are basically dozens of solenoids and relays. If a solenoid is binding it is usually because of misalignment due to improper installation or wear of the mechanical linkages causing misalignment or swelling of the sleeve around the plunger. Swelling is mostly due to overheating of the coil but could be caused by defects in the materials or lubrication by substances incompatible with the material of the sleeve.

Sanding or polishing the plunger is only a temporary solution at best as there is also wear to the sleeve. This wear is more often than not uneven. Without addressing the misalignment issues you'll get further increased wear and malfunction. Without addressing the wear issues in the sleeve and change the tolerances by sanding/polishing the plunger and/or sleeve you'll get further increased wear and binding.

Sure, we would sand and lubricate these parts but only as a temporary stop gap solution to get the machine up and running (and making money) long enough for us to get the parts and replace them.