Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 200 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #706
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ekip Quote
Do you know the exact breakdown? I thought you are only meant to get hit with VAT and possible Royal Mail charges. Customs Duty is not supposed to be charged on items under £135
I think the UK customs duty is only exempt on goods under £15.

This comes from my Ebay UK experience, definitely not £135.

That is why the many delectatious Japanese cameras and lenses on Ebay will scare you with a big nasty customs bill although the amount is usually calculated and quoted depending on the seller.

Most times the customs duty makes the purchase more expensive than buying within the UK/EU so the only items I have bought are cheapo lens hoods and other pound note items which are exempt from duty.

06-19-2018, 02:29 AM   #707
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Probablyknot Quote
Hi all,
I experienced this aperture block failure on my K-30 twomonths ago and thanks to your forum was able to understand the issue and best solution; so THANKS to ALL.
I decided to ask my Australian Pentax service agent what they would recommend if they looked at my camera and found that it was in fact this failure of a part and they offered to fix it for free if it was indeed this problem. I have just received my K-30 back and it has been fixed at no cost and it works again. They assured me they used genuine Japanese parts on it.
So although there seems to be no official line from Pentax on this issue it is worth asking what their service agents will do about it.
Thanks again and good luck.
You are very lucky! It is about time that Pentax/Ricoh service agents use the Japanese solenoid and not the green nor file the green.
06-19-2018, 02:35 AM   #708
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Probablyknot Quote
Hi all,
I experienced this aperture block failure on my K-30 twomonths ago and thanks to your forum was able to understand the issue and best solution; so THANKS to ALL.
I decided to ask my Australian Pentax service agent what they would recommend if they looked at my camera and found that it was in fact this failure of a part and they offered to fix it for free if it was indeed this problem. I have just received my K-30 back and it has been fixed at no cost and it works again. They assured me they used genuine Japanese parts on it.
So although there seems to be no official line from Pentax on this issue it is worth asking what their service agents will do about it.
Thanks again and good luck.
Was your k30 out of warranty ?

06-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #709
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
You are very lucky! It is about time that Pentax/Ricoh service agents use the Japanese solenoid and not the green nor file the green.
Do the green ones say "Made in China" on them?

06-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #710

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
Was your k30 out of warranty ?
Yes it was. They did not ask.
07-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #711
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I sent my K-30 in for a fix, to PC Photolab, and it came back, and works great now.

have no idea what they did, but it works. I'm happy.
07-14-2018, 03:04 AM   #712
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Do the green ones say "Made in China" on them?
There is nothing printed onto the solenoids, which I though was quite clear from all the photos I uploaded during a time when you also participated already in this thread and other threads.

Tons of precise photos are to be found on the internet and ebay, such as this one for example .

It is also sold in China from Aliexpress which I had posted also already.

I really don't understand why you ask this question when you already know?
So with due respect correct me if I am wrong that you actually did know all this before?!

I feel this most sensible advise applies here as well:

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Anyone who can bring new facts, data or even theories to this topic is welcome and encouraged, whatever your credentials.

However before posting I think it is incumbent on individuals to thoroughly read up on the knowledge base of info already on this topic.
Information compiled by by many people over many years now. Otherwise we end up regurgitating a lot of the same discussions over and over again and cluttering up the threads causing confusion for casual readers.

I believe the current summary is that the only permanent solution to the problem is to replace the green solenoid with the better quality white solenoid.

These can be got from other donor Pentax cameras, or there are some people on eBay selling them,

Other 'solutions' may work for a while but most likely will fail down the road. (This may be sufficient for some people):
- Shaving the horseshoe
- Building up the horseshoe base with solder
- Replacing the green solenoid with another green solenoid (as Pentax repair does)
- Switching to AA batteries
- Doing a rain-dance around a rare orchid from the Panamanian rainforest at full moon....etc...etc
But to make things more clear:
I have the original datasheet but am not allowed to upload it:

But this is part of the adress were it was manufactured:

East Qingdao Road, Taicang Economic Development Zone.
Taicang, Jiangsu, China

phone- and faxnumber start with

+86-512....

So just believe me, the solenoid is made in China

---------- Post added 07-14-18 at 03:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I sent my K-30 in for a fix, to PC Photolab, and it came back, and works great now.
have no idea what they did, but it works. I'm happy.
So what about what you wrote some time ago:

PentaxForums.com

PentaxForums.com

You only will find out what they did if you ask or look on the bill

and, it wasn't voodoo

Last edited by photogem; 07-17-2018 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Precision about my questioning
07-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #713
Pentaxian

But, if you use a special microscope, you might with some luck find the exact adress if manufacture hidden on the green gremlin:

East Qingdao Road, Taicang Economic Development Zone.
Taicang, Jiangsu, China

and if make the effort to go deeper in, you might even detect the phone- as well as the faxnumber, which starts with

+86-512....
and there is even an email adress to be found

I have now the original datasheet but... I am not allowed to upload it.

So just believe me, the solenoid is made in China. Period!
That is what I was asking for. Thank you.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-15-2018 at 04:23 AM. Reason: No need for rude comments.
07-15-2018, 04:26 AM   #714
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lets stay on topic please. I've done a cleanup.
07-15-2018, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #715
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Lets stay on topic please. I've done a cleanup.
Thank you!
07-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Questions

That is what I was asking for. Thank you.
With all due respect, but I asked you questions as well. Maybe you might consider answering them as well?
07-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #717
Pentaxian

With all due respect, but I asked you questions as well. Maybe you might consider answering them as well?
I guess they got lost amongst all the flotsam - you'll need to repeat them
07-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #718
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess they got lost amongst all the flotsam - you'll need to repeat them
It was all in my last post:

There is nothing printed onto the solenoids, which I though was quite clear from all the photos I uploaded during a time when you also participated already in this thread and other threads.

Tons of precise photos are to be found on the internet and ebay, such as this one for example .

It is also sold in China from Aliexpress which I had posted also already.

I really don't understand why you ask this question when you already know?
So with due respect correct me if I am wrong that you actually did know all this before?!
07-18-2018, 05:40 AM   #719
Pentaxian

It was all in my last post:
I thought these were rhetorical questions. As you said, I wouldn't ask a question if I already knew the answer. Your comments are so long that sometimes I don't notice the important statements.
07-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #720
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought these were rhetorical questions. As you said, I wouldn't ask a question if I already knew the answer. Your comments are so long that sometimes I don't notice the important statements.
Not at all rethorical questions. As you did participate a long time in this forum and in all those K30/50 aperture/solenoid threads you knew that these questions have been asked.
So *you knew the answer* and you knew that "made in China" is not printed on the solenoid because you saw all those photos.

This threat and the other threads should be of help for those, who come across the aperture problem, my intention was always based on this.

Maybe some participate for very different reasons but you have already made it very clear in case your K30 would develope this problem, you would not remedy it by changing the solenoid.

So in terms of definition of rethorical questions: If one knows the answer already put poses the question anyway it is rethorical.
Thats what you did by asking the question and with all due respect: Answering back that you wouldn't ask a question of you knew already the answer is very contradictory.

IMO a correct answer of yours would have been for example:

Sorry, I forgot that I already knew, of course I knew.

So take this advice not only to the head but also to your heart because this advice is very good for you!

Last edited by photogem; 07-19-2018 at 09:40 PM.