Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 200 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2022, 01:39 AM   #1006
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
Good variable-heat miniature-bit soldering irons are not expensive, and work well. The repair is not a PITA, and there are only two wires to solder. My ( first ever) solenoid replacement in a K-50 a couple of weeks ago was 100% successful, and didn't take more than a couple of hours at a leisurely pace.
Do you have a link to a decent soldering iron?

04-30-2022, 02:05 AM   #1007
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Do you have a link to a decent soldering iron?
Hi.
If you search on ebay for
Electric Soldering Iron Adjustable Temperature 60W Welding Solder Wire Kit Goody

you will find numerous irons , mostly under £10. It may be cheap, but I have used mine continuously without any issues for more than 8 years, and the variable temperature control is a a bonus on such an inexpensive iron. I have a number of much more expensive 'named' soldering irons that are nowhere near as controllable as this one , which enable precise and accurate soldering as well as not overheating the multicore solders i prefer to use, although I know Photogem prefers separate flux. You can make your own choice on that one!

UPDATE-yesterday my trusty ( and cheap!) Chinese variable temperature soldering iron stopped working, in consequence I have just bought two more as replacements , including a back-up. HOWEVER being a curious soul, I dismantled the failed iron, and diescovered that not only is it well-made and dismantles easily, but the failure was caused by one of the mains leads detaching itself from the PCB inside! In fairness the mains cable retaining system is a bit simple, relying on weaving wires through notches on the PCB plus the rubber grommet that holds the cable to the base of the iron, and I suppose 8 plus years of use had finally caused one wire to part company with its solder joint. However a quick resolder with my 60+ years old Remploy soldering iron ( good, but not fine enough for what i need in cameras) restored the wire, and iron, to full working order! So when the new ones arrive I will have TWO backups!
However the quality of this under £10 iron has impressed me, and I can wholeheartedly confirm my earlier recommendation as it being an absolute steal at that money.

Last edited by martin42mm; 06-08-2022 at 03:26 AM. Reason: update
04-30-2022, 03:14 AM   #1008
Pentaxian

Interesting, I paid more than that for a useless iron from Amazon a couple of years ago.

04-30-2022, 05:43 AM   #1009
Pentaxian

Tried again this morning and the first shot was dark again. I no longer have access to decent soldering equipment so this is going to be a total PITA
It all depends on how you look at it.
My K-30 began to show “Dark Image Syndrome” symptoms in 2017, when I’d had it for about two years, and “permanently about a year later. I had purchased a FA 28-105mm here and had carried around in my bag the whole time. Now, the FA is my primary lens for that camera, although I sometimes use Takumars. These days, a KP is my primary system, and I use the K-30 mostly for flash, but I do still use it, and if the price had not come down on Black Friday 2018, the K-30 might have remained my primary camera for some time. I don’t mind setting the aperture at the lens, and I seldom used TAv mode with the K-30 because I seldom used it with ISO values higher than 800.

In comparison, before the K-30, I had used Canon Rebels. I had two of them die in less than two years - and I mean “die” …. each showed processor issues before dying, neither was any use after dying, and each has been in the town dump for the past seven years. Come to think of it, soon we will reach the point when the K-30 + KP have given me as much service as the two Rebels did, and I am still using both of them -neither is worth the town dump.

04-30-2022, 05:45 AM   #1010
Pentaxian

Interesting, I paid more than that for a useless iron from Amazon a couple of years ago.
I've still got my original Remploy iron that I bought sixty years ago, and that still works, as does the light! Problem is it has too large interchangeable bits, and runs too hot as well for modern multicore solder, so I now prefer a variable temperature iron such as the one I suggested. At that money, you can buy three!
As i said before, I have a number of 'named' ones, but they are nowhere near as satisfying to use as the one I currently use, even if it is cheap.
04-30-2022, 06:26 AM   #1011
Pentaxian

I've still got my original Remploy iron that I bought sixty years ago, and that still works, as does the light! Problem is it has too large interchangeable bits, and runs too hot as well for modern multicore solder, so I now prefer a variable temperature iron such as the one I suggested. At that money, you can buy three!
As i said before, I have a number of 'named' ones, but they are nowhere near as satisfying to use as the one I currently use, even if it is cheap.
We always used Weller at work until my booss got some cheap Chinese ones his son imported. They worked apart from tripping out for some obscure reason every time they were used.

04-30-2022, 07:49 AM   #1012
Pentaxian

We always used Weller at work until my booss got some cheap Chinese ones his son imported. They worked apart from tripping out for some obscure reason every time they were used.
Like everything else made to a price, these soldering irons are made in China. But I've used this for some 8 years , and that is at least twice a week since not only do I repair cameras and other electrical bits and pieces, I also like modding my 15+ electric guitars, which do have some fun wiring configurations to test one's soldering skills! So this has had some fair use. It is still on its original bit, although a few years back I did buy some replacements so I had a variety of tips, but haven't seen any need to use them as yet.

04-30-2022, 08:05 AM   #1013
Pentaxian

Like everything else made to a price, these soldering irons are made in China. But I've used this for some 8 years , and that is at least twice a week since not only do I repair cameras and other electrical bits and pieces, I also like modding my 15+ electric guitars, which do have some fun wiring configurations to test one's soldering skills! So this has had some fair use. It is still on its original bit, although a few years back I did buy some replacements so I had a variety of tips, but haven't seen any need to use them as yet.
For under £10 with a selection of bits you can't really go wrong. Presumably I also need a set of screwdrivers like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174091199897?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-23...mis&media=COPY
and of course the solenoid from John Pye Technical.

04-30-2022, 10:21 AM   #1014
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For under £10 with a selection of bits you can't really go wrong. Presumably I also need a set of screwdrivers like this
ANEX Screwdriver No.930 Set JIS JCIS Precision Tools for Camera/Lens Repair 4962485222208 | eBay
and of course the solenoid from John Pye Technical.
This is the very best set:
Vessel 125610 9902 Precision Screwdriver Set - - amazon.com?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Vessel 9902!

Plus there is now a load of very cheap soldering irons from China.
Not that I like to buy Chinese stuff, but it is an option

Even all the famous Weller soldering irons now are all without exception made there.
Transformers are made in Mexico though.
04-30-2022, 12:41 PM   #1015
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
This is the very best set:
Vessel 125610 9902 Precision Screwdriver Set - - amazon.com?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Vessel 9902!

Plus there is now a load of very cheap soldering irons from China.
Not that I like to buy Chinese stuff, but it is an option

Even all the famous Weller soldering irons now are all without exception made there.
Transformers are made in Mexico though.
Thanks Amazon UK have those screwdrivers as well. All the ones on eBay seem to come from Japan with £20 shipping

---------- Post added 04-30-22 at 07:50 PM ----------

Can you still buy lead solder? The lead free stuff is useless.
04-30-2022, 09:03 PM   #1016
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you still buy lead solder? The lead free stuff is useless.
leaded solder 60/40: Search Result | eBay
05-02-2022, 04:25 AM   #1017
Veteran Member

Know the feeling - I've seen tidier rats' nests! (But, then, I'm a bit of a cheapskate anyway.)

That's a good tip (!) for a new iron - I still soldier on with an Antex from the '60s. It's about time I got a new one...
05-03-2022, 08:37 AM   #1018
Pentaxian

And an update.
I've been in touch with the Pentax-approved repairer in the UK, and they can supply solenoids for the K series cameras affected by the solenoid issue. Cost is a very reasonable £9 plus VAT including postage, so I've bought a couple to experiment with since my K-S1 that is becoming ever more reluctant to work properly unless 'exercised' at least a dozen times when first turning on. Since this is the solenoid supplied by Ricoh, even though it is a 'green insulation' solenoid, one would assume it is the 'upgraded' part they are using currently. I'll report back on how reliable it proves to be.

The repairers said they have had very few K-70s to repair compared with the other affected models, so it suggests that these are reliable in normal use. I also sought permission to pass on their details to other members of the forum, and they are quite happy for me to do so.

John Pye Technical
39-40 Marchington Industrial Estate
Stubby Lane
Uttoxeter
ST14 8LP
tel.01283384409
the Ricoh part number for the solenoid is 77650G119, and as I said cost is £9 plus VAT including postage in the UK.
Payment is required in advance, and you can pay by card over the 'phone, or using bank transfer , details :-
Name Natwest
Account John Pye & Sons Ltd - Office
Sort Code 60-80-09
Account No 61097535

If paying by bacs please use ref: JPT267.
They quoted me £12 + VAT for
Mechanical Assembly 77650G119. Does that sound right?

05-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #1019
Pentaxian

They quoted me £12 + VAT for
Mechanical Assembly 77650G119. Does that sound right?
Yes, they said they had undercharged me. The part number is the same as the one I detailed in my original posting. That is still cheaper than the 'will it, won't it' work

solenoids on ebay.
05-03-2022, 09:52 AM   #1020
Pentaxian

Yes, they said they had undercharged me. The part number is the same as the one I detailed in my original posting. That is still cheaper than the 'will it, won't it' work

solenoids on ebay.
Fair enough, did you have to pay the extra?