Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

K-30 aperture block failed - New camera suggestions

Hi everyone,

So my 2-ish year old K-30's aperture block finally failed all the way. For a while I was able to get it to work if I fired off 10 or so shots, but now it never works. It's not worth pursuing a repair right? From what I understand a repair is more than a new camera and it's out of warranty. That leads me to look into getting a new camera body. I'm not willing to take a chance on a K-50, since the same issue may pop up.

I would love to get the K-1, but even at it's low (for full frame) price, it's a bit steep for what I can justify. I'd really have to sell the wife on that purchase The lenses in my collection definitely skew to AP-C. I have a Pentax-DA 18-55 AL WR, a Pentax-DA 50-200, a Sigma DC 18-50 2.8 EX Macro and a Pentax-F 50 1.7. As far as I know only the 50mm is full frame capable. It is an excellent lens and the full frame would give me a much better focal distance for indoor shots of the kids (most of my photos). I primarily use the Sigma and the 50mm. Would any of the other of my lenses be even close to the full frame circle? I really feel like it would future proof my desire for a new camera for quite a while, so if I could somehow justify it to myself I'd consider it. I could still use my other lenses in crop mode while I figure out which lenses to swap out for.

It would be a lot cheaper to go with a used K-3 and that would still be quite a step up from the K-30. It's certainly a much better camera than I'm using now, just not full frame. I'm making due with a Samsung GX10 (Pentax K10D) I got as part of a package that included the Sigma and 50-200. There's a lot of awesome features that would suit my needs with the K-3.

Is there any other options I should be entertaining? I appreciate any input. Thanks!

05-31-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to mention the K-3, since I am about to get into the market for one. I have read nothing but rave reviews about it. The photos that are uploaded here is a testimony as to how very well it generates some beautiful photographs. I am not going to scout around on ebay or Amazon.com. I have had enough with those people. I am considering KEH and Adorama. Two very reputable enterprises. I hope this helps. If you happen to find a great deal on one, clue me in, willya?

Many thanks and good luck hunting.

Antonio
05-31-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

depending upon your budget, why not a new K-3 (thinking warranty) from B&H?
06-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Sorry haven't been checking the last few days. I got set on the K-3, really the K-1 was never an option when I started thinking about my budget. I was agreeing with pepperberry farm about the warranty, but the new price is just too much. So I ended up deciding to go with Ebay and buying a Square Trade 2 year warranty. Not as good as a brand new one, but it should do me well enough. I just won a K-3 for $480, but have not gotten the Square Trade warranty yet,. Has anyone had any experience with the Square Trade warranty for used items off Ebay? It seems pretty comprehensive, but I don't want to throw money away if it's not what I think it is. I'll probably go with it, since it's only $64.

While I'm still bummed that I had to buy a new camera so soon, it will be nice to have the extra features of the K-3. The low light focus in particular will be awesome, as most of my photos are indoor and often in the evening. I don't do much video, but may tinker a bit with that too.

06-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by McGooble Quote
Thanks for the replies. Sorry haven't been checking the last few days. I got set on the K-3, really the K-1 was never an option when I started thinking about my budget. I was agreeing with pepperberry farm about the warranty, but the new price is just too much. So I ended up deciding to go with Ebay and buying a Square Trade 2 year warranty. Not as good as a brand new one, but it should do me well enough. I just won a K-3 for $480, but have not gotten the Square Trade warranty yet,. Has anyone had any experience with the Square Trade warranty for used items off Ebay? It seems pretty comprehensive, but I don't want to throw money away if it's not what I think it is. I'll probably go with it, since it's only $64.

While I'm still bummed that I had to buy a new camera so soon, it will be nice to have the extra features of the K-3. The low light focus in particular will be awesome, as most of my photos are indoor and often in the evening. I don't do much video, but may tinker a bit with that too.
I have not had any personal experience with Square Trade Warranty. However, I have read many reviews that were not exactly flattering. Try researching them on Google.
I just typed in is: Square Trade Warranty legitimate and see what you get for info.

Antonio
06-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Square trade tends to get the best reviews from among the third party camera warranties. Just make sure that it covers your eBay purchase, and a used product.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2016, 05:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Square trade tends to get the best reviews from among the third party camera warranties. Just make sure that it covers your eBay purchase, and a used product.
Is that true? how about Mack?

06-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Is that true? how about Mack?
Mack is a much smaller company. I think they still get generally positive reviews, but I'd still opt for SquareTrade over them.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Mack is a much smaller company. I think they still get generally positive reviews, but I'd still opt for SquareTrade over them.
ok fair enough
06-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #10

Original Poster
I've generally heard good things about both companies, but I think Square Trade is the only company that does warranties for used or refurb Ebay items. Honestly I don't see how that's a good practice for them, but it certainly made the used route much more appealing for me. I've used Square Trade for a couple of smaller items but have never actually had to take advantage of it. I suppose that kind of experience is what they rely on to make a profit. I'm actually going to call them to discuss which ones I can buy, accidental or just standard. There's a few ways to go about it. There is some directly from Ebay that can only be used on items purchased in Ebay, you can buy from Square Trade and you can get them from Amazon. What's confusing to me is all have different price points for the same value item (in my case $450-$500 camera category). I expected the same price regardless of purchase path.