Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anyone identify this problem? Saving images on K-50

Hi everyone.

Can anyone identify this problem I am having with a K-50? Started happening a couple months ago. I have recently been using the camera to do only sports, so camera is in burst mode.

When I power up the camera and fire a burst of several images, the images fail to save. Sometimes I can find out only by reviewing the images as the camera won't tell me the pics failed to save. Sometimes I find out right away as a I get a memory card error message and the camera's electronics locks up, I can't even turn it off. I end up having to pop out the battery and re-insert it to get the K-50 working again.

The problem goes away if I re-power up the K-50 and wait a few seconds. I usually take a test picture and it is usually fine.

Memory cards are good quality Sandisks. The level of battery doesn't seem to matter, the camera can do this whether it's full or partially charged.

Thanks in advance.

06-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Format the memory cards in the camera. Each time you put them in.

The most likely explanation is a memory card fault. If it is happening with multiple cards then it might be a problem with the way the cards are being formatted or ejected. For example some computer OS cause problems if the card is ejected improperly. Sometimes a computer format causes issues on the camera.

There is also an SD card formatting application that is recommended: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
06-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sandisk are the most popular memory cards, and therefore the ones that are also most counterfeited. Be 100% sure about your supplier. If bought on-line from a small on-line only retailer, or worse, via a popular auction site, be sure you check they're genuine. Sandisk themselves will help you with this.
06-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Sandisk are the most popular memory cards, and therefore the ones that are also most counterfeited. Be 100% sure about your supplier. If bought on-line from a small on-line only retailer, or worse, via a popular auction site, be sure you check they're genuine. Sandisk themselves will help you with this.
Thanks for the advice. Will look into it.