Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2016, 02:20 AM   #1

K30 performance at high ISO

Hi all,

one of my favourite type of shoots is music gigs. I'm by no means an accredited music photographer, I just enjoy it.

I'm trying to understand if it's just me and my camera settings or if the K30 starts to be very noisy even at 6400 ISO.

Last saturday I brought my K30+Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 HSM combo to a club gig.
With the dark stage (only colored spot lights and some dimmed regular lights) I couldn't get lower than 3200/6400 in order to get a decent shutter speed to freeze the shots properly. Faster speed and pics are too dark...(and I was at 2.8 all of the time).

Still, the pics I got are rather noisy...(and soft, actually original files look way better than these uploaded copies...).

06-06-2016, 02:30 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great results IMO! They are about what I'd expect noise-wise. Run them through something like Topaz DeNoise and they should clean up nicely, as there's still plenty of detail.

Of course, I could also tempt you to look at the K-1 : with it, ISO 3200 or even 6400 is nothing

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-06-2016, 02:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Great results IMO! They are about what I'd expect noise-wise. Run them through something like Topaz DeNoise and they should clean up nicely, as there's still plenty of detail.

Of course, I could also tempt you to look at the K-1 : with it, ISO 3200 or even 6400 is nothing
...already in that frenzy... I'll probably be banging at B&H's door next Jan when I'll be in the US...

Thanx for your feedback and comment, but these pics are not in the same league as those I see from some music photographers I follow and whose work I admire, not even close.
Granted, I have to work on my technicque and knowledge of the camera and settings, I was just wondering if the K30 (which I still love) being a bit outdated just can't handle that ISO right...
It works great in normal light conditions though.

I tried to de-noise some of the noisier pics a bit with Mac Phun Noiseless (which I prefer over Topaz), but I loose too much detail and the pics come out not as tack sharp as I'd like...
06-06-2016, 05:06 AM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I was just wondering if the K30 (which I still love) being a bit outdated just can't handle that ISO right
to the contrary, it is really good at handling noise for the level of camera it is. The sony sensor it has is a lot better than most of your equivalent canon cameras. So really, its not a problem with the camera being outdated, but maybe it is just the wrong tool for the job, in your case.

How about getting faster lenses? Sigma 85 1.4, DA*55 1.4 Although those are primes and I doubt you'd want to switch frequently in a concert. So maybe the K-1 is your solution

Last edited by Imp; 06-06-2016 at 05:17 AM.
06-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
I wonder if there is anything I can do on my side as far as settings go. These shots were taken at F/2.8, ISO 3200 to 6400 and shutter speeds from 1/200 to 1/320 (depending on position and lighting conditions of the selected angle) all in manual mode as Aperture priority was giving me too low readings on the meter. I noticed that when using spot metering instead of average I got darker pictures (which makes sense to me) but with average reading I had the impression the focusing was slower or less precise.

I think primes, albeit faster, are not an option for this kind of shooting where you move around a lot to get interesting angles but cannot get as close to the subject to frame it by just moving around (or you don't have enough room to frame it), you gotta have a zoom lens...(besides, I've never seen a music photographer using a prime lens, but...it just may be me...).

PLEASE STOP SUGGESTING THE K1 TO ME!
06-06-2016, 06:20 AM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

I wouldn't dream of it!

hey... pssst... wanna check out the k-1? I think you should check out the K-1, mate!
nudge nudge
06-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I never shoot above 3200 on my K-50 (essentially the same) and only at 3200 when I really need to.
You're only options are really:
  1. Live with the noisy images.
  2. Faster lenses.
  3. Upgrade your camera (K-1 for example )
06-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
...you all know where this is going, right?

06-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
So really, its not a problem with the camera being outdated, but maybe it is just the wrong tool for the job, in your case.
Have you ever considered getting that new K-1?
06-06-2016, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
these pics are not in the same league as those I see from some music photographers
Like Kenspo... who uses a K-1?
06-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Like Kenspo... who uses a K-1?
What you said...his pics are amazing...(and noise free)