Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2016, 03:58 AM   #1

Catch-in focus once again

Hello,

Followed all the how-to's and manuals within pentaxforums and outside - still can't make my K-50 shoot in catch-in mode.
Problem is it just takes photos whenever i press the shutter button. Nothing makes difference, be it completely out of focus, or different focusing mode (AF.S, M or C, whatever).

some details:
camera K-50
lens - Revuenon 50mm f1.4 MC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database metal coated as in review
focus switch turned to AF.S (not C, not MF).
catch-in function enabled in custom menu 20, set to 2 (yes).
AF Active Area - spot (center spot only)
using aperture ring custom menu 22 set to on (if that plays a role here).

photos of camera with setup: K-50 Catch-In - Album on Imgur

Tried it with other lenses as well, such as Miranda 75-300 (bare metal mount as well), Orestor 135mm f2.8 (m42 with metal flange adapter), SMC Pentax 50mm f1.7. And all my AF lenses too.
One thing i haven't tried yet is shortening contact on camera body, which i bet isn't needed here, as lens has bare metal mount.
Software version 1.02.

What am i missing?

Regards,
Shilas

06-07-2016, 06:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Focus priority needs to be set (15 in custom menu) to “Focus priority”
Catch in focus needs to be set as well.
Lens needs to be manual (per memory).

Try with your 50mm 1.7 to make sure it's not a lens issue.
06-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lens - Revuenon 50mm f1.4 MC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database metal coated as in review

Judging from the picture, this lens mount could well be anodized alumina - not black anodized, but anodized/oxidized anyway.

I have had similar experience with Soligor 'metal' bases as well and grinding them down to the un-oxidized metal was the solution. I agree with Mistlefoot that you should first try a manual Pentax lens for reference.
06-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something else to try - do you use the rear AF button to auto-focus? If so, have you got the focus-on-half-press for the shutter release turned off in the button customization menu? If so, the shutter (at least on my K-3II) will fire out-of-focus even with all of the settings you have above, turned on. Try turning the focus-on-half-press back on, and try it again - if this is the problem then it should work.

I had the same issue with CIF on the K-3II also, but what I've done is set up a user mode for manual shooting using non-A lenses, that has the focus-on-half-press turned on, whereas the other user modes (and the other settings on the dial) all have it turned off. The two Pentax lenses I use in this mode (K50/1.2 and K40/2.8) work fine with CIF.

06-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If your lens has a non-conductive base, CIF will not work. If Stone G. is correct and the base is anodized (non-conductive), that might be the source of your problem.

Steve
06-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Steve,

The OP said that he's already tried the M50/1.7 and it didn't work either.
06-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
just came home after work, tested my lenses with multimeter - both are conductive, zero resistance. must be something else, something very obvious yet missed

06-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Focus priority needs to be set (15 in custom menu) to “Focus priority”
I couldn't find that option under the menu item you suggested. Under that number is : Superimpose AF Area, the the description says: The selected AF point is confirmed in the viewfinder with a red indicator light. Nothing about Focus priority. I found that under Menu item C, number 12, AF.S setting.
I'm not sure if that's what you meant but it does say either Focus-Priority or Release-Priority after using the four way key right side.
06-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

So, which button are you using as AF button? On my K-5 and K-3 it HAS to be the release button only that performs AF while the dedicated AF button is used to cancel AF.
06-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I read the manual, to use catch-in-focus you must be in AF.S mode and "focus priority" must be selected rather than "shutter release priority." Focus priority should be the default setting, but check it in the AF.S setting of the custom settings menu, should be item 12 if I read the on-line manual correctly. C-I-F can therefore only be used with a manual focus lens (presume you knew that, but inserted the restriction anyway).
06-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I found that under Menu item C, number 12, AF.S setting.
I hear an echo in here.
06-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #12

Original Poster
I hear an echo in here.
it is there by default
06-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hear an echo in here.

OOPS! Sorry.
06-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I couldn't find that option under the menu item you suggested. Under that number is : Superimpose AF Area, the the description says: The selected AF point is confirmed in the viewfinder with a red indicator light. Nothing about Focus priority. I found that under Menu item C, number 12, AF.S setting.
I'm not sure if that's what you meant but it does say either Focus-Priority or Release-Priority after using the four way key right side.

You could be right. They are under 15/16 on my K-30. As this group is for K-30/K-50 I assumed the menus are the same. Probably aren't.
Either way.
I still think OP needs to test C.I.F. using a known supported lens (the Pentax 50) and work from there. Anything tested with another lens could be a potential waste of time and confuse what has been tried with a particular lens. Not saying the OP hasn't been thorough....but I've really never had issues with C.I.F on my K-30 that didn't involve me missing a step (ie, all the issues were my fault).
06-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
You could be right.
Wow! one for me. I checked my K-50 settings and my manual. That's how I knew where the settings were located.
But I don't use CIF, because of what OP said, I can't get it to work on the lenses I've tested either.