Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

I dropped it

The other day I attached my brand new Sigma 18-300mm lens onto my beloved K-50. Within the first few week it (camera + lens) fell about 2' onto a glass tabletop. After I put several dollars worth of change into the swear jar, I carefully inspected the camera and lens. If I rock it from side to side I can hear a faint sound of something sliding back and forth inside the camera. Since then I've take a lot of shots but I feel that that sharpness isn't consistent. I use Lightroom and have been comparing photos at 1:1 zoom.

My first thought was to send the lens and/or camera in for repair. But I don't know that either one is in fact damaged.
My second thought was that maybe I'm paranoid, maybe that sound was always there, and my photos are as sharp as they'll ever be with this lens/camera combo.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Pentax K-50, Pentax 18-55, Pentax 50-200mm, Sigma 18-300mm

06-08-2016, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take the lens off and check camera and lens independently.
06-08-2016, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by inboundfx4 Quote
If I rock it from side to side I can hear a faint sound of something sliding back and forth inside the camera.
Hearing something move inside the camera is normal. The sensor is held in place with magnets, and when the camera is off the sensor is free to move about.

Now that does not mean that nothing is wrong, only that a slight noise of something moving about when the camera is off is normal. Do you hear it when the camera is on?
06-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Do you hear it when the camera is on?
I hear it when the camera is on or off and whether or not the lens is attached.

QuoteQuote:
Take the lens off and check camera and lens independently.
The lens appears to be fine. It zooms in and out without any seizing or noise.

06-08-2016, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by inboundfx4 Quote
The other day I attached my brand new Sigma 18-300mm lens onto my beloved K-50. Within the first few week it (camera + lens) fell about 2' onto a glass tabletop. After I put several dollars worth of change into the swear jar, I carefully inspected the camera and lens. If I rock it from side to side I can hear a faint sound of something sliding back and forth inside the camera. Since then I've take a lot of shots but I feel that that sharpness isn't consistent. I use Lightroom and have been comparing photos at 1:1 zoom.

My first thought was to send the lens and/or camera in for repair. But I don't know that either one is in fact damaged.
My second thought was that maybe I'm paranoid, maybe that sound was always there, and my photos are as sharp as they'll ever be with this lens/camera combo.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Pentax K-50, Pentax 18-55, Pentax 50-200mm, Sigma 18-300mm
Uneven sharpness is a known issue with super-zoom lenses, such as any 18-300mm lens.
06-08-2016, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife's K-50 makes noise when shaken, whether on or off (sensor moves more freely when off). Photos are fine.
06-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback! It's been very helpful.

06-10-2016, 01:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I dropped my K50 with a manual Pentax 55mm f1.8 about 3 to 4 feet onto a thinly carpeted concrete floor. It landed on the filter threads of the lens bending them in.

After bending the threads back out I could get a lens hood back on the lens and it works as good as always. The camera has shown no problems whatsoever.

Not sure how the plastic mount on a DAL lens would have fared, but I have no intention of finding out.

Tough buggers this Pentax gear.
06-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
Not that wish for anyone to drop their gear but it is nice to hear I'm not the only one who has. Thanks for sharing your drop story!
06-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The sensor is held in place with magnets, and when the camera is off the sensor is free to move about.
I ended up taking it in to a local repair shop. The tech said exactly what you said, jatrax. He pulled another K off the shelf and it makes the same sound. Now I can sell the camera with a clean conscience.