Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Sorry. I got the:
Battery Capacity : 15.5Wh/2100mAh
Output Voltage : DC 8.4V (max)/ DC 7.2V (mean)
from the DSTE battery and not the OEM. My bad.
So on paper that battery lasts longer than a set of 2300mA 1.2V AAs...

06-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
So on paper that battery lasts longer than a set of 2300mA 1.2V AAs...
Not necessarily. 2100 is still less than 2300. Assuming, again, everything is in top form. In real life, between these two, I think battery condition and usage pattern are going to matter more than the specs.

Have fun testing!
06-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Not necessarily. 2100 is still less than 2300. Assuming, again, everything is in top form. In real life, between these two, I think battery condition and usage pattern are going to matter more than the specs.
I was going by watt-hours...

Have fun testing!
Fun? What is fun?
06-12-2016, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

The discharge curve in a Ni battery is a constant drop, that means that at the end the battery may still have charge but may not have enough power to use the device, Li cells are almost a straight line, meaning they will provide full power through all the discharge followed by a sudden drop right at the end, more mah are used

Last edited by photolady95; 06-12-2016 at 06:25 PM.
06-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Got rid of swollen battery a long time ago along with Wasabi. Cheap Chinese junk. (IMO).The AA battery adapter is hard to beat,you can get one for 6-8 dollars and batteries for 10-12 dollars.I'll never buy another D-LI190 because they simply don't deliver the best bang for the buck.Sucks when your battery dies without even getting one day out of it.
06-12-2016, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Got rid of swollen battery a long time ago along with Wasabi. Cheap Chinese junk. (IMO).The AA battery adapter is hard to beat,you can get one for 6-8 dollars and batteries for 10-12 dollars.I'll never buy another D-LI190 because they simply don't deliver the best bang for the buck.Sucks when your battery dies without even getting one day out of it.
Our experience is different from one another. I found more life per charge from the Wasabi than the AA holders with good NiMH cells. However I carried both often. I'm sorry you had issues. I have had OEM batteries swell.
06-13-2016, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

My Wasabis are almost as good as OEM. Regular Eneloops do almost as well - I haven't tried the Eneloop Pros, but I hear good things about them.

A big factor is how the batteries are charged and stored. I've got a stacks of (not Eneloop) AA rechargeables that won't last a day. My Dad used the cheap rapid charger from the big box discount store and basically cooked them to death in a few cycles. I only use them when I'm playing around with multiple off-camera flashes in my office. While the Wasabis come with a travel charger, it runs a lot hotter. I prefer to use the Pentax charger when possible. For AAs, I have a Maha smart charger. It wasn't cheap, but considering how much shorter battery life is with the rapid chargers, it probably paid for itself in a year or two.
06-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
My Wasabis are almost as good as OEM. Regular Eneloops do almost as well - I haven't tried the Eneloop Pros, but I hear good things about them.

A big factor is how the batteries are charged and stored. I've got a stacks of (not Eneloop) AA rechargeables that won't last a day. My Dad used the cheap rapid charger from the big box discount store and basically cooked them to death in a few cycles. I only use them when I'm playing around with multiple off-camera flashes in my office. While the Wasabis come with a travel charger, it runs a lot hotter. I prefer to use the Pentax charger when possible. For AAs, I have a Maha smart charger. It wasn't cheap, but considering how much shorter battery life is with the rapid chargers, it probably paid for itself in a year or two.
I have a Maha 8 cell smart charger I got primarily to charge giant 11,000mah NiMH D cells for sailing use. With AAs I have found the deep conditioning function on that charger will revive batteries quite consistently including some that have been in the bottom of the drawer for years. Not sure I could justify the $100Cdn cost of the charger only for AAs though. But it's a beauty.

Last edited by jgnfld; 06-14-2016 at 12:04 AM.
06-18-2016, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I got several DSTE Batteries from Ebay....... Had no problems at all and they saw heavy use over almost 2 years ......and still going strong.
They were something like $8 each when purchased in a 4 lot.
07-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery
I didn't feel like could trust third-party power accessories inside my K-50, so I shelled out for the genuine D-BH109 AA adapter.

I normally keep the body loaded with 4x Eneloops. I keep the charged D-Li109 as the backup battery, mostly due to gear packing ergonomics. The loaded D-BH109 is bigger and heavier than the D-Li109! If I'm on a really long shoot, I pack a second (or third) set of charged AA batteries, and can load them into the D-BH109 if it comes to that. I never worry about my camera running out of power.

I don't keep good data on the Eneloops vs the D-Li109, but my impression is the D-Li109 runs down sooner.