Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
PopUp flash has stopped popping up

It just happened, so it's not only aperture problem but the flash button has stopped moving the catch/hook which releases the popup flash( It can be "opened" by a nail for an example..) . Sorry I need to wentitalte my frustration. I'm more and more thinking about switch..but not a dSLR anymore.

SO we have SDM, Aperture servo fails so what's next.

Thanks god sigma offers mount change.

Camera is off warranty and has just about 12k clicks...hasn't been abused

Dont't anyone have this problem resolved?

Last edited by AldaCZ; 06-19-2016 at 08:14 AM.
06-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
It just happened, so it's not only aperture problem but the flash button has stopped moving the catch/hook which releases the popup flash( It can be "opened" by a nail for an example..) . Sorry I need to wentitalte my frustration. I'm more and more thinking about switch..but not a dSLR anymore.

SO we have SDM, Aperture servo fails so what's next.

Thanks god sigma offers mount change.

Camera is off warranty and has just about 12k clicks...hasn't been abused

Dont't anyone have this problem resolved?
Something I've been guilty of myself is comparing a K-S2 and a K-3 and saying to myself, "why would I buy the K-3 when the K-S2 looks just about as good?" Something we all seem to lose track of is that the K-3 is professional-grade hardware, while the K-S2, K-50, and K-30 are consumer-grade. My personal belief is that 10K is good for consumer-grade; I'm not surprised to hear that things start to fail after that.

Between my last film SLR and my first digital SLR, I owned a compact camera for nine months. At the end of that time, I was happy to hear that my daughter's camera had failed, because that gave me an excuse to give the compact camera to her and switch back to DSLR for myself; if you're anything like me, you'll discover that anything less than an ILC is a compromise of some sort. I'm expecting you'll find that MILC is like DSLR ... you'll have to spend more than a K-30/50/S2 costs to find something that reliably and consistently runs many 10K {in other words, you may be lucky and get one that goes much further, but you might also be unlucky and get one that falls short - the law of averages works like that}

Last edited by reh321; 06-19-2016 at 01:53 PM.
06-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sorry to hear about the flash issue. I've heard it reported now and then, but it isn't as common as the aperture issue. Since the flash release button is simply connected to a mechanical lever, the fix should be DIY-able, if you're comfortable opening up the camera.

but not a dSLR anymore.
Maybe grab a higher-end model that's designed with durability in mind, like the K-5 or K-3? They're getting cheaper by the day. Whatever brand you choose, don't expect consumer models to outlast more expensive ones, because the components in the more expensive ones really are designed to last longer

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-19-2016, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My personal belief is that 10K is good for consumer-grade; I'm not surprised to hear that things start to fail after that.

Not sure I agree with this. Pentax quote shutter life on the consumer grade cameras as 100K so it would make sense to build the rest of the camera to broadly the same spec. After all, my budget MV camera from the mid-80's still works fine.

Just checked my fully functional K30 and it has 26,913 actuations since it was born on April the 9th 2012. I would hope to at least double that before encountering any problems.

06-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by planteater Quote
Not sure I agree with this. Pentax quote shutter life on the consumer grade cameras as 100K so it would make sense to build the rest of the camera to broadly the same spec. After all, my budget MV camera from the mid-80's still works fine.

Just checked my fully functional K30 and it has 26,913 actuations since it was born on April the 9th 2012. I would hope to at least double that before encountering any problems.
This is where the Law Of Averages comes in - I used to have hopes that lined up with your experience, but we also have a line of members complaining about motor failures on the consumer grade cameras {mostly K-30 and K-50}, as I'm sure niceshot will tell you as soon as he discovers this thread. It is great that you've got that kind of life from your K-30; I hope mine also lasts as long as I use it, but we need to be realistic. Variance (*) seems to be unusually high on these consumer grade cameras - "too many" are failing "too soon" in various areas.

added: We've had a lot of discussion about what the statistics might look like, but we don't have any actual statistics - "just" anecdotal "evidence". I should have begun by thanking you for providing another story, on the opposite side from what people usually volunteer. My "gut feeling" is that the story is not as gloomy as one would gather from the stories that we hear here, but those stories are there. My "gut feeling" is that Pentax has had some kind of Quality Control issue, perhaps with some thing(s) they didn't know they needed to monitor; possibly the variance was higher than they thought. The OP is obviously aware of the stories of failures.

(*) Variance is a statistical measure of how values differ from the average

Last edited by reh321; 06-19-2016 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added thoughts
06-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is where the Law Of Averages comes in - I used to have hopes that lined up with your experience, but we also have a line of members complaining about motor failures on the consumer grade cameras {mostly K-30 and K-50}, as I'm sure niceshot will tell you as soon as he discovers this thread. It is great that you've got that kind of life from your K-30; I hope mine also lasts as long as I use it, but we need to be realistic. Variance (*) seems to be unusually high on these consumer grade cameras - "too many" are failing "too soon" in various areas.

added: We've had a lot of discussion about what the statistics might look like, but we don't have any actual statistics - "just" anecdotal "evidence". I should have begun by thanking you for providing another story, on the opposite side from what people usually volunteer. My "gut feeling" is that the story is not as gloomy as one would gather from the stories that we hear here, but those stories are there. My "gut feeling" is that Pentax has had some kind of Quality Control issue, perhaps with some thing(s) they didn't know they needed to monitor; possibly the variance was higher than they thought. The OP is obviously aware of the stories of failures.

(*) Variance is a statistical measure of how values differ from the average
well...K3 has flash lag..and off camera flash lag... (I tried it in person), K3 ii and k1 has no flash at all so you have to have a) another flash b)a trigger/reciever (cactus etc...)

And 10k a lot please stop joking. Old KX/KR would last 3x more... DO I have at least 50% chance to to get 50K ? I would love to see statistics
06-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

And 10k a lot DO I have at least 50% chance to to get 50K ? I would love to see statistics
One of my K-30's developed the Aperture control block issue at about 56K +/-.......I sold it on Ebay Full Disclosure for $135
My Other K-30 developed the exact same Aperture Control Block failure at about 7K.......just out of warranty.......I threw it in the trash at a Campground after scavenging a few parts.
The K-30 is still my favorite Camera .....for whatever reason I just cant help but love it and feel comfortable using it. But after 2 back to back failures within a 6 month period of time.... it has left a quite Nasty Taste in my mouth !

This is where a Good Extended warranty would have Saved My @$$......lol.
06-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
One of my K-30's developed the Aperture control block issue at about 56K +/-.......I sold it on Ebay Full Disclosure for $135
My Other K-30 developed the exact same Aperture Control Block failure at about 7K.......just out of warranty.......I threw it in the trash at a Campground after scavenging a few parts.
The K-30 is still my favorite Camera .....for whatever reason I just cant help but love it and feel comfortable using it. But after 2 back to back failures within a 6 month period of time.... it has left a quite Nasty Taste in my mouth !

This is where a Good Extended warranty would have Saved My @$$......lol.
yesI like the grip...and haven't brought the extended warranty (*bangs to my head*)

06-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

My *istD flash doesn't pop up either. But it's much older than your camera.
06-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter

well...K3 has flash lag..and off camera flash lag... (I tried it in person), K3 ii and k1 has no flash at all so you have to have a) another flash b)a trigger/receiver (cactus etc...)
I have no idea whether the OnBoard Flash still works on my K-30; I don't recall ever using it. I was surprised at the negative reaction when the K-3ii didn't have an OBF, because I've always considered its weak pin-point light to be something for those consumers who think their flash can light up a racetrack at the beginning of a race or a basketball arena at a crucial point in the game {I've always said the main advantage of those flashes is to alert us that something important is happening}.

And 10k a lot please stop joking. Old KX/KR would last 3x more... DO I have at least 50% chance to to get 50K ? I would love to see statistics
As I've said multiple times here, we are talking about a consumer camera. I photograph as a hobby, and am much more serious than many, but it took me eight years to reach 5K with the two Canon Rebels that both died on me.

And, as I've said many times here, we don't have any statistics. We don't know how long the average camera actually lasts. I would not be surprised to find out that K-30/50 does much much better than one would surmise by listening to the comments here, but my point was that 5, 10 pictures per day is not the sort of thing you should expect from any consumer grade camera {you may get it, but you should not just assume it}