Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

Shutter dead ?

Hi. My K-30 today decided to die.. i'm very very sad, really !
I love this camera..

I have used it for some Time Lapse, so I expcted one day shutter will die a day .. but , yesterday i checkd , and I take only 20.000 photos.. Not so much ..
At the moment shutter is blocked .. closed ..
It happens today, after that yesterday i cleaned the sensor.. maybe i touched something i didn't have to touch ?

Is there any method to try to unblock it ?

How much could be cost to fix shutter ? I love this camera .. i don't want a new one ..

Thanks

07-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing you can do to fix it, other than use manual lenses, so they say. See this documentation here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/321871-k-30-k-50-ape...available.html

And lots of K-30s died this year.

If it's still under warranty Ricoh will fix it for free. If not under warranty, costs range from $160 to $206 (what they quoted me to fix mine).
07-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Exactly what do you mean by
QuoteOriginally posted by stighy Quote
At the moment shutter is blocked .. closed

Do you mean
(1) I can't see anything through the viewfinder
(2) I can't take a picture
(3) I can't get to the sensor to clean it some more
(4) something else
07-12-2016, 01:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Exactly what do you mean by
Do you mean
(1) I can't see anything through the viewfinder
(2) I can't take a picture
(3) I can't get to the sensor to clean it some more

(4) something else
1. No, through viewfinder i can see without problem
2. I take picture that are .. completely black, because something (the shhutter i suppose) is in front of sensor
3. Yes, i can't see sensor ... there is (i think) the shutter that cover it ...completely closed

07-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Nothing you can do to fix it, other than use manual lenses, so they say. See this documentation here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/321871-k-30-k-50-ape...available.html

And lots of K-30s died this year.

If it's still under warranty Ricoh will fix it for free. If not under warranty, costs range from $160 to $206 (what they quoted me to fix mine).
I am now convinced, based on the feedback from the OP in message #4, that we have been confusing two different problems, sometimes in the same thread.

(1) The aperture control problem, which is where the thread you referenced started, causes severely under-exposed images to be created, because the aperture is not adjusted; the easy "solution" for that is to use m42-mount lenses because their aperture control is totally manual and totally separate from the camera.

(2) Shutter operation, which is where the thread you referenced wandered to, causes totally black image to be created, because the shutter is stuck shut; this obviously is the OP's problem, and I don't see any solution other than sending it in for repair {or buying a new camera}

As for the "lots died" ... we have no statistics; we don't know how many shots the average K-30 is good for. I can say with certainty, that more life is one of the reasons for buying a K-3 instead of a K-n0.
07-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It happens today, after that yesterday i cleaned the sensor.. maybe i touched something i didn't have to touch ?
3. Yes, i can't see sensor ... there is (i think) the shutter that cover it ...completely closed
If you did a wet cleaning, it may be that cleaning solution got where it should not have. Just to confirm (fully charged battery):
  • Are you able to open the shutter using the cleaning mode?
  • In B mode (lens off) does the shutter open? Do the shutter blades move at all?
To be honest, I am not sure what that last exercise is supposed to accomplish , except to try one more time and characterize the issue. Reports of outright shutter failure for other than high usage (50,000+ actuations) is pretty rare on this site. I feel for you

Steve
07-14-2016, 12:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you did a wet cleaning, it may be that cleaning solution got where it should not have. Just to confirm (fully charged battery):
  • Are you able to open the shutter using the cleaning mode?
  • In B mode (lens off) does the shutter open? Do the shutter blades move at all?
To be honest, I am not sure what that last exercise is supposed to accomplish , except to try one more time and characterize the issue. Reports of outright shutter failure for other than high usage (50,000+ actuations) is pretty rare on this site. I feel for you

Steve
Yesterday i've resolved.
I touched 'gently' with a stick, on shutter.. and finally it open!
Maybe it was stuck after I clean the sensor too ..rouglhy!
Thanks for all your support..
Bye

07-14-2016, 02:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yesterday i've resolved.
Bye
So you are very fortunate, for today. But use the camera a lot to free up the shutter good luck.
07-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yesterday i've resolved.
Bye
That is great news!