Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2016, 12:28 AM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
summary:

You expect a higher level of service from Pentax than we see from other companies

No, this is related solely to Pentax. I couldn't care less about other companies.
I and many others purchased a Pentax that failed well before it should have, and Pentax have stayed quiet on the matter.

08-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
No, this is related solely to Pentax. I couldn't care less about other companies.
I and many others purchased a Pentax that failed well before it should have, and Pentax have stayed quiet on the matter.
OK, here is my re-statement:

I expect the same level of service from Pentax that we see from other companies

You expect a certain level of service from Pentax - which happens to be higher than we see from any company at any price

Last edited by reh321; 08-15-2016 at 05:34 PM.
08-17-2016, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #183

K-50, purchase date September 9, 2014
Shutter count ~9,000 when aperture block occurred.

Aperture block issue: yes

As others said, taking a few shots in burst mode temporarily fixes it but by switching the camera on/off the failure shows up again.
Out of warranty camera so I'll keep it like this but still I'm a bit disappointed too due to lack of official response by Pentax and recognition of the issue. Too many bugged samples, should be labeled as an engineering design flaw by manufacturer.
08-17-2016, 04:55 AM   #184
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Aphex Quote
From your profile I see you're in Italy. Shouldn't your camera still be under warranty? The 2 years are not up yet and you should contact your vendor.

08-17-2016, 05:19 AM   #185

QuoteOriginally posted by Nessie Quote
From your profile I see you're in Italy. Shouldn't your camera still be under warranty? The 2 years are not up yet and you should contact your vendor.
Correct, but I purchased it by requesting an invoice as freelance professional, thus the legal warranty is only 12 months. Sucks.
08-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #186

K-30 bought slightly used on eBay late January, 2013, manufacture date 2012:06:28.

Definitely has symptoms of "the dreaded aperture block failure", but I have not had that diagnosis confirmed by a technician; I am assuming that is the problem.

I first noticed the underexposed photos when shutter count was around 8986 (that is the oldest photo in my collection I can find quickly when I am certain the symptoms were manifested); that was just over a year ago, and I have seen the incidence of the underexposure increase. I had had no problems before that time that I recall.

I first thought it was the lens, because it seemed to occur only when using one lens -- the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II. When it started happening with other lenses, I was not sure whether to be sad or relieved -- at least the problem was not the expensive lens!

It at times seems to be worse / more likely to occur when I am pointing the camera down even slightly; I have not noticed any other tricks or tendencies with my particular K-30 body.

At this point, I continue to use the camera, though it is frustrating losing so many shots, and am considering the K-3ii or K-70 once I can save up some dough for one. It seems not worth the cost to fix. Sad, as my K-30 was an upgrade to my K-r, which had the problem front-focusing in tungsten lighting... from one problem child to another. I may just shelve the K-30 for now and use my backup, a K-x.

Thanks for starting this thread and for the survey.

I have not read through this thread, so maybe it's been suggested ... but my plea to Pentax would be to somehow offer those of us with failed cameras a coupon for $ off an upgrade, perhaps with a trade-in ...

Last edited by gimmepizza; 08-17-2016 at 08:37 PM.
08-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #187

Poll answered.

So, another K30 user here, shuttercount is just over 22000.
Purchased 2 1/2 years ago, while production date was some 16 months earlier.

By the way, I don't believe Pentax has a better track record dealing with these kind of production issues.
Pentax users tend to be fans and rather loyal, so expect to be treated better and are unhappy to find they're not.
With over 400 responses we might make Pentax/Ricoh take notice, but I don't really expect it to happen.

Would be very interested in poll results and have Ricoh comment on them for the forum.

Last edited by OudjesEric; 08-18-2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Read complete thread now...
08-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #188

I gifted a new K50 to my sister. it failed 12 months 10 days later after only 685 photos.

I have found no temporary fix for my issue, except to use manual focus / manual aperture lenses. When i attach a lens, its wide open. when i take a shot it always stops down to F22

Last edited by buttons; 08-23-2016 at 05:34 AM.
08-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #189

Own a K-30 for 3 years now. Over 19600 actuations, and no issues to date
09-07-2016, 03:44 AM   #190

Shutter count ~9,000 when aperture block occurred.

Aperture block issue: yes

As others said, taking a few shots in burst mode temporarily fixes it but by switching the camera on/off the failure shows up again.
Out of warranty camera so I'll keep it like this but still I'm a bit disappointed too due to lack of official response by Pentax and recognition of the issue. Too many bugged samples, should be labeled as an engineering design flaw by manufacturer.
Update: the fix doesn't work anymore, so now it's practically a dead camera. Good only for total manual lenses. AF lenses in full manual won't operate regardless.
09-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
should be labeled as an engineering design flaw by manufacturer.
While I agree that the failure rate is too high, I don't think we know enough to declare it an engineering design flaw. Apparently, Pentax has used the same aperture block design in various bodies for at least ten years - some say it goes all the way back to film cameras. Based on other threads, the problem appears to lie in (some? all?) of the solenoids or motors, which are supplied by outside vendors. That would make it a design or manufacturing flaw for the outside vendor, and a supply issue for Pentax - their fault lies in accepting batches of a part that appeared to be of the same specs as what they've been using successfully, but were not as reliable over time. Any new design would still assume that the parts used meet certain specs and will continue to do so.

QuoteOriginally posted by OudjesEric Quote
have Ricoh comment on them for the forum.
Frankly, this will never happen. The most Ricoh Imaging Americas could say is "we'll pass it on up". The Ricoh Japan product manager or engineer who could actually give an informed response is never going to say something to embarrass the company or even the vendor who made the unreliable parts. It would be interesting to know if Japanese K-30/50 owners are having as much trouble, or if the problem is masked by them actually having a service and support network.
09-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #192

Photos: Gallery
Bought in June 2013 no issues so far.
Pentax K-30
Manufacture date 2012:08:25
Shutter count 33,857
09-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #193

Has anyone come up with any useful solution to this problem? My K-50 is useful ONLY for microscopic things (with tunes and reverse lens), and Richard has been obscenely dismissive about repairing this flaw. I barely got 9 months of use out of mine before it fails, and that was after a prior software failure!
09-15-2016, 12:15 AM   #194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Apparently, Pentax has used the same aperture block design in various bodies for at least ten years - some say it goes all the way back to film cameras. Based on other threads, the problem appears to lie in (some? all?) of the solenoids or motors, which are supplied by outside vendors. That would make it a design or manufacturing flaw for the outside vendor, and a supply issue for Pentax - their fault lies in accepting batches of a part that appeared to be of the same specs as what they've been using successfully, but were not as reliable over time.

Pentax, if they keep good records, should be able to narrow down exactly which batches were dodgy, and the total number of cameras that could be affected over time. Maybe via the serial numbers they could even do the right thing and offer to replace the faulty components...
09-15-2016, 12:43 AM   #195

Since my answer in last june or july, the shutter problem has occured for mine. Shutter count about 8,100...I'm disappointed indeed. But I'm not alone...
I will purchase a K3 or K3 II.