Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by T. Mushrooms Quote
Has anyone come up with any useful solution to this problem? My K-50 is useful ONLY for microscopic things (with tunes and reverse lens), and Richard has been obscenely dismissive about repairing this flaw. I barely got 9 months of use out of mine before it fails, and that was after a prior software failure!
My "solution" is to use AA batteries (specifically, Sanyo Eneloops) instead of the D-Li109. But based on what others have said about the nature of the problem, I don't expect that to work forever.

09-21-2016, 12:36 AM   #197

Bought in July 2014 no issues
Pentax K-30
Manufacture date 2012
Shutter count 20,0000
09-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
My "solution" is to use AA batteries (specifically, Sanyo Eneloops) instead of the D-Li109. But based on what others have said about the nature of the problem, I don't expect that to work forever.
Just curious, but how did this solve the problem?
09-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've experienced the same thing. I have a K-30 - with black photos. With the D-li109 it shoots black photos = I can't use the K-30. Then chanced to Eneloop AA batteries. And now I can use my camera. Still have to shoot some blanks - 3-5 shots, and mayby it won't work in days to come. But that's how it is now. Maybe it's the lower voltage, that tricks the problem?

09-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Just curious, but how did this solve the problem?
QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
I've experienced the same thing. I have a K-30 - with black photos. With the D-li109 it shoots black photos = I can't use the K-30. Then chanced to Eneloop AA batteries. And now I can use my camera. Still have to shoot some blanks - 3-5 shots, and mayby it won't work in days to come. But that's how it is now. Maybe it's the lower voltage, that tricks the problem?
Higher amperage perhaps?

I'm fairly certain that these kluges work for only a period, and then a motor burns out.
09-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #201

The aperture block failure for my k-30 started around 21 000 clicks (manufacture date: 2013:02:19). I kept on taking pictures by using the burst mode first like many did.
As time went on i had to take more burst clicks and more and more often. Now I'm at 25 000 clicks (mostly because of taking dead pics) and I feel my body is now ready for its funeral as far as non-manual lenses are concerned..

I haven't tried using any AA-batteries. I wonder if it is battery related.. If only it were like the mirror-flapping issue with the K-5 where, as far as i know, the problem only occurred when the battery was full :P
I have used a third-party battery besides my Pentax one, but i don't think that would be an issue.

I still need to make a complaint to Pentax. Even though the camera is out of warranty, it should easily be able to reach 50 000 clicks without a problem when you use your camera normally in my opinion. I'd like them to at least give a reduction on the repair costs. I am not that hopeful though. It would give me that extra reason to stay with Pentax..
09-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sindiey Quote
The aperture block failure for my k-30 started around 21 000 clicks (manufacture date: 2013:02:19). I kept on taking pictures by using the burst mode first like many did.
As time went on i had to take more burst clicks and more and more often. Now I'm at 25 000 clicks (mostly because of taking dead pics) and I feel my body is now ready for its funeral as far as non-manual lenses are concerned..

I haven't tried using any AA-batteries. I wonder if it is battery related.. If only it were like the mirror-flapping issue with the K-5 where, as far as i know, the problem only occurred when the battery was full :P
I have used a third-party battery besides my Pentax one, but i don't think that would be an issue.

I still need to make a complaint to Pentax. Even though the camera is out of warranty, it should easily be able to reach 50 000 clicks without a problem when you use your camera normally in my opinion. I'd like them to at least give a reduction on the repair costs. I am not that hopeful though. It would give me that extra reason to stay with Pentax..
Would be nice wouldn't it?

09-30-2016, 01:22 AM   #203

Thank you for arranging this survey.

My K-30 has been underexposing the occasional image for the best part of a year, but has now failed completely. Fine if I want to shoot at F22, but not quite what I'd hoped for.

Camera - PENTAX K-30
Shutter Count - 5,171
Manufacture Date - 2012:08:03

I first used it 11th June 2013. The outcome of this will determine whether or not I stay with Pentax. Canon repaired my six year old point-and-shoot for free when it was found that the model had a problem with its sensor, so I could be tempted back to them.

Cheers,

Gavin.
10-01-2016, 05:29 AM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cornholio Quote
Thank you for arranging this survey.

My K-30 has been underexposing the occasional image for the best part of a year, but has now failed completely. Fine if I want to shoot at F22, but not quite what I'd hoped for.

Camera - PENTAX K-30
Shutter Count - 5,171
Manufacture Date - 2012:08:03

I first used it 11th June 2013. The outcome of this will determine whether or not I stay with Pentax. Canon repaired my six year old point-and-shoot for free when it was found that the model had a problem with its sensor, so I could be tempted back to them.

Cheers,

Gavin.
Seems as though Canon has it right
10-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #205

Hi, New user/poster here but thought I would contribute my details.

K30 failed about a month ago, not at all impressed. I have a K3 to keep me snapping away but I miss my K30, great little camera. Going to pursue a repair and have been in contact with the retailer who has been helpful/supportive.

Manufacture date 17.04.2013
Shutter count 12164

I also have an issue in live view, where parts of the screen have a strange pixelated flashing going on. Not the whole image, just certain areas. This happened around the same time as the aperture block failure. Camera has been well looked after, no damage of knocks just decided to give up the ghost...!!

I hope Pentax come good and get this sorted out.

Regards
Dave
10-02-2016, 12:43 AM   #206

QuoteOriginally posted by TasMan Quote
I also have an issue in live view, where parts of the screen have a strange pixelated flashing going on. Not the whole image, just certain areas. This happened around the same time as the aperture block failure.
I think that this is because when you go into live view the diaphragm is no longer held wide open, and instead relies on the aperture block. Therefore, with a failed aperture block much less light reaches the sensor.

I hope that you get this resolved. I'm returning mine this week and will post here once I get a response.

Cheers,

Gavin.
10-02-2016, 06:37 AM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cornholio Quote
I think that this is because when you go into live view the diaphragm is no longer held wide open, and instead relies on the aperture block. Therefore, with a failed aperture block much less light reaches the sensor.

I hope that you get this resolved. I'm returning mine this week and will post here once I get a response.

Cheers,

Gavin.
no it means his shutter blocks the culprit
10-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TasMan Quote
I also have an issue in live view, where parts of the screen have a strange pixelated flashing going on. Not the whole image, just certain areas. This happened around the same time as the aperture block failure. Camera has been well looked after, no damage of knocks just decided to give up the ghost...!!
Which part of the image is this happening in? It sounds almost like the camera's proper response to areas that are too bright.
10-05-2016, 11:42 PM   #209

Not happy

Super pissed to find out I have a K-50 with a problem. Love the camera but hate that I'll have to replace this because just 2 days ago I had good light trying to take a selfie for kicks and could not 'fool' the camera to snap out of the serious underexposure. Out of warranty, too. Had a K-200D that was going along just fine and gave it to a friend, now this happens. grrrrrr

My shutter count was only something like 1,023 with manuf date of 23-9-2013. Bought July 2014 so even with slightly extended warranty, it went out in July and I didn't know this was a problem until a few days ago although I first noticed a very random problem in April but thought nothing of it--thought I just committed user error but now I see why.

---------- Post added 10-06-16 at 12:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gabriel82 Quote
Super pissed to find out I have a K-50 with a problem. Love the camera but hate that I'll have to replace this because just 2 days ago I had good light trying to take a selfie for kicks and could not 'fool' the camera to snap out of the serious underexposure. Out of warranty, too. Had a K-200D that was going along just fine and gave it to a friend, now this happens. grrrrrr

My shutter count was only something like 1,023 with manuf date of 23-9-2013. Bought July 2014 so even with slightly extended warranty, it went out in July and I didn't know this was a problem until a few days ago although I first noticed a very random problem in April but thought nothing of it--thought I just committed user error but now I see why.
As you can see from my shutter count, I don't take tons of pics, but if it's feasible to stay with Pentax, I'd consider it. I use a 50 mm prime, 55-300mm Pentax, the 18-55mm kit lens and in March bought the WR 100mm prime. I'm looking at B&H (plan to check Adorama too) and see a K-3, K-S2 and k-70. I'd like someone to chime in that knows which one of these cameras is known for quality build and not crapping out like this K-50--especially since it's taken me THIS long to find out my K-50 is bad.

---------- Post added 10-06-16 at 12:18 AM ----------

---------- Post added 10-06-16 at 12:03 AM ----------

As you can see from my shutter count, I don't take tons of pics, but if it's feasible to stay with Pentax, I'd consider it. I use a 50 mm prime, 55-300mm Pentax, the 18-55mm kit lens and in March bought the WR 100mm prime. I'm looking at B&H (plan to check Adorama too) and see a K-3, K-S2 and k-70. I'd like someone to chime in that knows which one of these cameras is known for quality build and not crapping out like this K-50--especially since it's taken me THIS long to find out my K-50 is bad.
Also, I do some low-light photography (try to) like in museums where they don't like using flash, inside for a more natural light, some landscape and flower photography with limited people photography (like in church when they're not watching me and I can get a natural interaction). I'm almost imagining someone will say get the K-3 because of the anti-aliasing filter since it would only be $50 more than the K-70 and have a better image processor (I assume from looking), plus be slightly better than the K-S2 for the same reason. But please...anyone informed let me know so I don't make another useless purchase.
10-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... I'm looking at B&H (plan to check Adorama too) and see a K-3, K-S2 and k-70. I'd like someone to chime in that knows which one of these cameras is known for quality build and not crapping out like this K-50--especially since it's taken me THIS long to find out my K-50 is bad. .
If you're looking at build quality as the prime factor, the K-3 or K-3ii is the best choice, imo.
The K-70 has a lot of latest advances, but it is a "consumer model" rather than a higher quality "semi-pro model."

Or in the used market, look for a K-5iis. Check the marketplace. The K5s and K3s are higher quality builds. The K-5 would have a sensor very much like the K-50 at 16mp, but have a better body. I don't think anyone has reported this issue happening in the K5s and K3s, only in the K-30s and K-50s.