Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2016, 04:58 AM   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
NS_Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 704
As I sit here looking at my fully functional K100D sitting on a table in front of me and the more I read of this issue. The more I feel Pentax has fallen victim of today's fiscal climate where increasing the spread between the cost of production and the revenue generated by a product is more important than providing a reasonably priced reliable quality product. I'm also certain that if I put the body of my K500 alongside the body of the K100D on a table with a full set of specifications and offered both cameras for free. I feel many, depending on the generation, would not be interested simply because both cameras have outdated technology, some would be interested in the K500 because the technology isn't as outdated as the K100D even though there is a history of reliability, and only a select few would be interested in the K100D because of either brand recognition and or product quality.

10-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #227
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,122
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
As I sit here looking at my fully functional K100D sitting on a table in front of me and the more I read of this issue. The more I feel Pentax has fallen victim of today's fiscal climate where increasing the spread between the cost of production and the revenue generated by a product is more important than providing a reasonably priced reliable quality product. I'm also certain that if I put the body of my K500 alongside the body of the K100D on a table with a full set of specifications and offered both cameras for free. I feel many, depending on the generation, would not be interested simply because both cameras have outdated technology, some would be interested in the K500 because the technology isn't as outdated as the K100D even though there is a history of reliability, and only a select few would be interested in the K100D because of either brand recognition and or product quality.
The following appeared in a discussion about where to get a replacement for the part that seems to be failing
QuoteOriginally posted by athlonus Quote
For sure *ist, K-X, K-R, K10D models have two useful identical solenoids, one for the flash pop up up and the other for the aperture control. I have not checked any film SLRs but they (which were produced since 90's) are very likely to use the same part.
Apparently the part which is failing was not new to Pentax, and it did have a good track record. I am becoming increasingly convinced that Pentax had a quality issue with a part manufactured by some other company; I'm not an expert in this field, so I don't know whether this issue should have been caught in the factory.
10-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
NS_Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 704
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The following appeared in a discussion about where to get a replacement for the part that seems to be failing Apparently the part which is failing was not new to Pentax, and it did have a good track record. I am becoming increasingly convinced that Pentax had a quality issue with a part manufactured by some other company; I'm not an expert in this field, so I don't know whether this issue should have been caught in the factory.
I understand that the particular assembly may not be new to Pentax, but it is entirely possible that in order to reduce the cost of production. As I suggested in an earlier post in this thread Pentax's parent Company Ricoh could well have gone to another supplier that supplied the assembly for a lower unit cost than the original supplier. This supplier in turn, didn't or doesn't have the same level of quality control as the original supplier and or used inferior components and manufacturing processes.

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 10-21-2016 at 10:27 AM.
10-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #229
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 5,401
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I understand that the particular assembly may not be new to Pentax, but it is entirely possible that in order to reduce the cost of production
Why does Ricoh have to the responsible party? Maybe the supplier of the part decided to cut costs and changed something. Or the got a different batch of plastic used in the armature because the supplier for that part went out of business or decided to change a formula. Or perhaps the varnish on the wire used in the windings was bad from contamination. The same for the iron/steel parts used in the plungers - the magnetic properties be different because of a different supply of iron ore, contamination or whatever.

Or the failure rates could just be a statistical aberration or clustering. The poll conducted doesn't have a large and random enough sample size as well as not collecting useful data (the "right" questions, the actual failed parts for examination) to form any meaningful conclusions.

10-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #230
Pentaxian
richandfleur's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,472
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
As I sit here looking at my fully functional K100D sitting on a table in front of me and the more I read of this issue.

Ha that was my exact upgrade path. I actually remember being slightly disappointed at the build quality of the new K-30 compared to the K-100D.


The K-30 aperture system had to be repaired on the K-30, within 2 years of ownership, at which point I reverted to the K-100D again whilst it was being repaired.
I sold the K-100D because it was relatively useless at focussing, which was just how it was -it wasn't a fault/breakdown as such, but that aside it was still going strong.
10-29-2016, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #231
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 340
Well, it happened today -- my K-30's aperture block has finally stopped working even when I throw fresh Eneloops at it and fire off a burst. I don't in the least regret buying it, but I really was hoping for more than 3 years out of it.

I did, however, discover that my FA Limiteds will work in Av mode in Live View if you set the aperture ring -- it stops down to the shooting aperture and meters without needing the green button. (Haven't tried it on my M lens. (Edit: works with K/M lenses too.) I'm not sure if this was already generally known around here, but it's news to me.) That said, I'd rather be shooting through the viewfinder most of the time.

Looks like my brother will be in for a surprise when he finds I've suddenly had a change of heart regarding his old 5D (now that I know that Adorama still sells the Ee-S focusing screen for it)... of course, I'll be taping over the hump and putting a Pentax neck strap on it. :-P

Last edited by Scintilla; 10-29-2016 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Tested LV Av on my M lens
10-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #232
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Ticino, Switzerland
Posts: 34
QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote

I did, however, discover that my FA Limiteds will work in Av mode in Live View if you set the aperture ring -- it stops down to the shooting aperture and meters without needing the green button.
Thanks! I didn't know this.
10-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
NS_Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 704
QuoteOriginally posted by I did, however, discover that my FA Limiteds will work in [B:
Av[/B] mode in Live View if you set the aperture ring -- it stops down to the shooting aperture and meters without needing the green button. (Haven't tried it on my M lens. (Edit: works with K/M lenses too.) I'm not sure if this was already generally known around here, but it's news to me.) That said, I'd rather be shooting through the viewfinder most of the time.

I think you will have the same success with your manual lenses using the camera in Av or Manual modes. If you want to use the viewfinder I suggest you reprogram the Green button so when it is pressed it reprograms the other settings in the camera to the setting of the aperture ring and copy the settings to one of the User Settings on the Selector Dial. Then all you have to do when you use a manual lens or the Aperture ring on a FA Lens just switch to the proper User Dial setting. Then while looking through the viewfinder, feel for and press the Green Button before pressing the Shutter. I did this on my K500 and it works well and saves a lot of time.

10-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #234
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 340
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I think you will have the same success with your manual lenses using the camera in Av or Manual modes. If you want to use the viewfinder I suggest you reprogram the Green button so when it is pressed it reprograms the other settings in the camera to the setting of the aperture ring and copy the settings to one of the User Settings on the Selector Dial. Then all you have to do when you use a manual lens or the Aperture ring on a FA Lens just switch to the proper User Dial setting. Then while looking through the viewfinder, feel for and press the Green Button before pressing the Shutter. I did this on my K500 and it works well and saves a lot of time.
Yes, I'm not a stranger to Green Button metering: that's how I've always operated my M 28/3.5 (in M mode only; it doesn't work through the VF in Av mode and never has). But needing to resort to that on lenses that were built not to need it (namely, my A and FA lenses)? I'd be better off selling them to someone who can use them to their full potential and getting cheaper K/M replacements.
11-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #235
Senior Member
SirBismuth's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 126
It took 10,658 actuations, and my K30 has fallen victim to the dreaded Aperture Block Failure!

B

QuoteOriginally posted by SirBismuth Quote
Ok, can finally answer here!

Model: K-30
Shutter Count: 7,796
Manufacture Date: 2012-08-14

No issues experienced so far.

B
11-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #236
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Ticino, Switzerland
Posts: 34
QuoteOriginally posted by SirBismuth Quote
It took 10,658 actuations, and my K30 has fallen victim to the dreaded Aperture Block Failure!

B
Welcome in the club
11-19-2016, 04:07 AM   #237
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 207
K30 Shutter failure --- shuttercount 19635

K30, backup, Ser. Nr. 4370xxx purchased Dec. 14: , shuttercount 19635: Shutter failure

Friend of mine in Tuscon: K30, similar age, shuttercount 6500: Shutter failure.
11-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #238
Senior Member
slick100d's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 152
K30, Mfg Date: 2012:07:06, Shutter count: 2864, Intermittent aperture block failure. A few shots with continuous shooting (hi) brings it back to life (for now).
11-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #239
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,122
QuoteOriginally posted by slick100d Quote
K30, Mfg Date: 2012:07:06, Shutter count: 2864, Intermittent aperture block failure. A few shots with continuous shooting (hi) brings it back to life (for now).
Did the aperture block failure come after you hadn't used it for a period of time, or did it just stop working right some day?
11-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #240
Senior Member
slick100d's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 152
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Did the aperture block failure come after you hadn't used it for a period of time, or did it just stop working right some day?
It's been a while so I don't remember for sure but I probably hadn't used it for a while. I do remember earlier this year it would be dark for only the first shot and then fine. But when I was on vacation in September I know I hadn't used the camera recently and the first time I tried to use it, I didn't think it was going to come back. It finally did after taking a couple dozen dark frames. Thankfully the moose and her two calves were still there!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture block, block or shutter, bodies, camera, china, count, date, days, error, film, idea, k-30, k-50, k50, light, model, pentax, pentax k30, pentax k50, quality, ricoh, shutter, shutter count, survey with shutter, user, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aperture Block / Shutter Failure lakeshore Pentax DSLR Discussion 37 09-17-2016 05:24 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top