Shutter Count ~8,221
Manufacture Date 2013:10:02

Purchased Aug 2015
Failed Feb 2016 - Aperture control

07-31-2016, 11:37 AM   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So far we've received over 250 responses to the google survey- a great turnout!

About a quarter of responders said their camera suffered from the aperture block issue. This is a safe "worst-case" estimate of the likelihood that this issue will affect a given camera, though the actual figure is most likely lower due to response bias.

Multiple users have reported that the issue does not occur when the D-BH109 AA adapter is used in lieu of the rechargeable D-Li109 battery.

Of the users who reported issues with their camera, there was an even split between:
  • Getting the problem repaired under warranty
  • Paying out-of-pocket for the repair (most users paid between $150 and $200 in their local currency)
  • Ignoring the issue or switching to M42 lenses
  • Upgrading to a higher Pentax model, or switching to a different brand (some users sold their broken camera for parts)
Nearly all cameras in the survey, broken or fine, had under 30000 actuations, with about half under 10000. This suggests that these models don't see nearly as heavy use as Pentax's flagship line.

We will publish a full summary on the homepage (with much more detailed data) in the coming weeks.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who put full data into the survey but not necessarily into comments here. Is there any way to "massage" the survey data {calculation, cross-tabs, something} to get a rough estimate of "pictures per year", that is, on roughly how "hard" we are working these cameras??
07-31-2016, 12:07 PM   #108
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm sure I'm not the only one who put full data into the survey but not necessarily into comments here. Is there any way to "massage" the survey data {calculation, cross-tabs, something} to get a rough estimate of "pictures per year", that is, on roughly how "hard" we are working these cameras??
Yes, that would be doable since we also ask for the date the camera was purchased. Also, I won't be factoring in any of the data posted outside of the survey, so please do submit a survey response for each camera you own.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #109

Silky Bordeaux 1500

Sorry must have used the wrong SD card, PENTAX K-30, Shutter Count 8,965, Manufacture Date 2013:04:03, Adam can you fix my survey?

Wife's just stopped working on a recent trip to Nova Scotia, Luckily I had my K3-2, I turn off the review so I didn't notice it right away. Looks like it started over exposing then under. After a quick check here, I tried my 35 f/2 to confirm aperture failure. Yup. Has anyone tried Precision Camera in Connecticut for repairs?

Last edited by Waterman723; 07-31-2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: correction
07-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #110
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Waterman723 Quote
Sorry must have used the wrong SD card, PENTAX K-30, Shutter Count 8,965, Manufacture Date 2013:04:03, Adam can you fix my survey?

Wife's just stopped working on a recent trip to Nova Scotia, Luckily I had my K3-2, I turn off the review so I didn't notice it right away. Looks like it started over exposing then under. After a quick check here, I tried my 35 f/2 to confirm aperture failure. Yup. Has anyone tried Precision Camera in Connecticut for repairs?
Put a manual aperture lens on it if it still fires it is your aperture block. Otherwise it is your shutter block
07-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Put a manual aperture lens on it if it still fires it is your aperture block. Otherwise it is your shutter block
I don't have one handy at the moment, but wouldn't setting the ring to f/2 work?
07-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
I wonder if we could do a survey of K30 and K50 users with shutter count and if they have had aperture block or shutter failure. That way we can get an idea of what shutter count average we need to be concerned about these issues. Plus we could get an idea of the percentage of bodies that develop these issues. That will give us K30/K50 users an idea of when we may need to upgrade. I own 2 K30's and a K50. I will be happy to provide this information on my camera bodies. Adam I bet you can do this.

Post in this thread and/or take the survey here:

>>> http://goo.gl/forms/6zKW6CtBCc2QqBNi1 <<<

You can check your camera's shutter count here:
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
Hi
I live in New Zealand and bought my K30 from B& H in the USA in 2013.At start was OK. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/258577-p...-liveview.html
Then after I used a 100-400 lens K30 went haywire. Here is url of K30 in Pentax Forum in April 2014 :
By the time I took camera to a leading camera shop in NZ i had passed warranty time.
Was advised uneconomic to repair.
So mostly just use my old Pentax K10D which has not had any problems.
I think Pentax should replace all problem K30s & K50s as show of goodwill.
07-31-2016, 03:42 PM   #113
Site Supporter

I don't have one handy at the moment, but wouldn't setting the ring to f/2 work?
Yes and if it doesn't then it is the shutter block

07-31-2016, 03:44 PM   #114

Takes a pic just fine at f/2
07-31-2016, 04:09 PM   #115
Site Supporter

Takes a pic just fine at f/2
One other thing to check, make sure you dont have it set to auto-bracket. I f so set it to single exposure and try that automatic aperture Lens again
07-31-2016, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #116
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Mc Quote
I live in New Zealand
Me too

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Mc Quote
So mostly just use my old Pentax K10D which has not had any problems.
Agree. I sold my K100d, not because it was faulty, but because I wanted better autofocus abilities and I wanted a video capture ability.
I used my K-30 in the same way as my K-100d, but the K-30 failed in under two years.
I've read quite a few comments here saying it's a consumer grade camera, you shouldn't use it too much etc, and believe that's just a total copout. They sound like Pentax PR, if Pentax had actually publically said anything about it at all.

For those with a faulty component, this has ruined their camera almost completely, and Pentax has done nothing about it for those outside of their standard warranty period. Many K-30 owners cannot afford to, and should not have to, replace their cameras every two 1/2 years.
07-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
One other thing to check, make sure you dont have it set to auto-bracket. I f so set it to single exposure and try that automatic aperture Lens again
Yes, I did set it off bracketing. Still dark exposure. I updated firmware and new battery. I reset camera to default settings too. Time to pack it up I guess.
08-01-2016, 12:52 AM   #118

Will check my K-30 at home tonight, and answer the survey, but so far she's doing fine!

B
08-01-2016, 05:51 AM   #119

K30 Shuttercount 7235 ,purchase date 28/03/2012 ,manufactured 08/01/2012 serialnr 4407471

So far i've had no problems whatsoever but these complaints aren't giving much confidence in the future of my favorite camera so far ( and i've had a few : MEF ,MZ50,MG,MX,K10D)

I'm used to owning and using a camera for at least 10 years (my ME-F was 35 when it died ,after i used it for about half of that total lifespan : not bad for a second hand camera i got for +/-20.

My MZ50 i bought for 300 brand new ,still works perfectly.

The second hand ME-F i couldn't resist buying last year to replace my dead one works perfectly after more than 40 years service

I find it a bit disturbing to spend , like i did only 4 years ago , almost 800 on a camera just to hear it might give up at any moment .

Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen to me and feeling sympathetic to the people it does happen to : who i'm sure loved the little gem the K30 is when it works like it was supposed to.
I like this camera so much i would buy a second one brand new to make sure i have one for a longer time when the first breaks down,only there is no old stock out there any more

My condolances to the owners of the dead K30/50's ,

To the DIY savy people i would say check out that Russian fix of the problem (it's on here somewhere) ,it is scary because it involves taking apart most of the camera , i would do it if my camera gave up
08-01-2016, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #120
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rvtazz Quote
I find it a bit disturbing to spend , like i did only 4 years ago , almost 800 € on a camera just to hear it might give up at any moment .
The (dissatisfied) vocal minority are exponentially louder than the users with no problems at all. We don't hear from those folks because they're out and about taking pictures. :-) Don't worry!