Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #121

K-30 aperture failure and using the D-BH109 AA adapter.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Multiple users have reported that the issue does not occur when the D-BH109 AA adapter is used in lieu of the rechargeable D-Li109 battery.
I found once my K-30 body developed aperture problems that using the D-BH109 adapter was only a temporary fix, and a short lived one at that. Initially the camera would operate correctly, but 8-12 hours later the 'black' shots would come back. After a few days the AA adapter with fresh batteries had no positive impact.

Last edited by tvcrider; 08-01-2016 at 09:07 AM.
08-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #122

Pentax K-30, 14627 shots, no issues. Made 2012:09:19, bought 2012.11.09. Submitted survey.
08-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #123

Nothing to report except for a false alarm

From my part(On my side), K30 possessed since October, 2014, no problem to part only once, the impossibility to open in + f2.8 with Pentax A one 50 f / 1.7.
But solved problem by wiping(suffering) the contactors of the lens and the device.

Always very satisfied with my dslr, k30 to dslr is a very good dslr
08-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
The (dissatisfied) vocal minority are exponentially louder than the users with no problems at all. We don't hear from those folks because they're out and about taking pictures. :-) Don't worry!
Exactly this.

08-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #125

Photos: Gallery
My K-30 was bought used in 2013, now w/ 9k raw+jpeg flawless shots, nearly all w/ a used DA200. Fun combo, It spends a lot of time sitting outdoors on the porch or in the car in desert heat. I was concerned about this problem since the shutter noise is so loud, but so far-so good.
08-01-2016, 05:20 PM - 3 Likes   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
The (dissatisfied) vocal minority are exponentially louder than the users with no problems at all. We don't hear from those folks because they're out and about taking pictures. :-) Don't worry!

Yeah don't worry, it will be fine if you don't have the faulty part on your camera, and fine right up until it's not if you do.

Those who have experienced the failure have every right to be dissatisfied about it. In fact I'd call that a completely natural reaction for anyone who buys a camera new, that subsequently fails in less than 2 1/2 years, and finds it's out of warranty and the manufacturer won't do a damn thing about it.
08-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #127
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Yeah don't worry, it will be fine if you don't have the faulty part on your camera, and fine right up until it's not if you do.

Those who have experienced the failure have every right to be dissatisfied about it. In fact I'd call that a completely natural reaction for anyone who buys a camera new, that subsequently fails in less than 2 1/2 years, and finds it's out of warranty and the manufacturer won't do a damn thing about it.
You are correct Rich, it needs to happen to this guy so he will then quit condescending to the less fortunate people on this board.
08-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #128

QuoteOriginally posted by TylerX Quote
Always very satisfied with my dslr, k30 to dslr is a very good dslr
So am I with my K50! And the amount of abuse it can take is just phenomenal. It got droped, it got wet and more... so even if it was about to die tomorrow i'd be sure that a Canikon in that price range wouldn't have gotten that far. If it continiues like that then i will not be able to justify a new one for a long time

I hope how ever that only a minority is affected and that Pentax does learn a lesson or two!

08-01-2016, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #129
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote

They absolutely have a right to be dissatisfied about it. I would. But my point was (the vast majority of) people who don't have problems don't go around shouting from the rooftops about how their cameras are working perfectly normally, as expected, without any surprise failures. I fail to see how this is a condescending observation?
08-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #130
Site Supporter

My K50...

Shutter count: 6934
Manufacture date: 2013/07/01

and I have had no problems with it.
08-01-2016, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #131
Pentaxian

I think of more interest would have been serial numbers of cameras affected or not. I suspect the faulty components were all used within a block of cameras, and that would give some direct to owners and potential owners of the likelihood of failure.
08-02-2016, 02:16 AM   #132

My K-30 - no problems to date.
Manufacture date: 2012:08:28
Shutter count: 11 835

Purchased 2nd hand with shutter count around 2000 a year ago, as an experiment ("is that Pentax any good...?"), actually made me go deeper into my photographic hobby - a rugged, user-friendly and overally well-performing camera!
It's my backup body nowadays, but gets a fair bit of use as a "lightweight" travel setup element (coupled with the 18-135).
08-02-2016, 04:43 AM   #133

Don't worry ? 1 out of every 4 cameras not working I didn't worry mine broke.
08-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worrying doesn't do any good, unless it leads to a course of action for when things go wrong (this is coming from a professional worrier). If you told most people that the odds were at least three to one against their K-30/50 failing, I don't think they would sell their camera, or buy a second body and carry it with them everywhere in case the first one failed. They might worry about it, but that wouldn't make any difference, apart from making them unhappy. (I will add that if your livelihood depends on your camera, you owe it to yourself and your customers to use a better camera AND have a backup.)

It's a serious problem, and this survey finally is giving us some hard data how serious, rather than just a gut feeling based on how many new threads there are about it (which could have been increased by the unusually long period that the K-30/50 was sold). I hope this is just the first step in improving the situation.
08-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #135

Shutter count: 17,000
Manufacture date: 11/26/12

Aperture motor issue started happening sporadically last summer, not sure how many actuations when it started. Complete failure this spring, I've been using lenses with aperture rings since. I'm very upset that I basically have to buy a new body after owning this thing for only 3 years, love love love the features of these Pentax bodies, but product support has been awful, strongly considering another brand when I save enough pennies to get a new body.