Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
There is already a pretty good database for camera shutter life expectancy - populated with a lot of data, however it is dated due to the camera models the data is collected against (has K5II and K5IIS, but no K5, etc.).
This also has the problem of addressing shutter life only. A legalist like me would not report the death of either of my Canon Rebels, at an average of something like 2500 as the count, because I assume the shutter was still working, but that was useless to me since the processor was dead. Likewise, many of the K-30/50/S2 cameras still have working shutter, and can be used with M42-mount lenses, but that's not what the owner thought s/he was purchasing.

07-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I haven't had any failure on my K-30 per-se.
13,929 actuations.
There are a 'few' times where the shutter won't close immediately, and a few times where the aperture will not work properly - specifically after a shot with live view.
07-17-2016, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Very interesting results in the survey. Keep them coming!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not enough responses

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
There is already a pretty good database for camera shutter life expectancy - populated with a lot of data, however it is dated due to the camera models the data is collected against (has K5II and K5IIS, but no K5, etc.).
The numbers of responses are way to low to put any stock in those numbers. I would consider our survey to be way more accurate since our response numbers are much higher.

07-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #20

K-30

As of this afternoon. Heading back out.
07-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-30

Manufactured: 7/30/2012
Shutter count: 37,953

No problems!

Since I bought my K-S2 a year and a half ago the K-30 hasn't seen much action, but it still works great and I plan on using it in October as a spare body for my first wedding shoot!
07-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Pentax K-30
Manufacture date: 2012.07.20
Purchased on 2013.03.17
Shutter count: 82412
Everything works. In the early days (approx 10000 shutter release) there were aperture problems, but it gone and now works perfectly.

07-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think this thread would be a good vehicle for the survey. However, the long-term answer is simple: if you want a camera that will last you for years, it's probably a good idea to invest in flagship bodies that are nearing the end of their product cycle, and thus priced close(r) to the consumer bodies.
Adam, In your opinion, which are examples of flagship bodies at that stage at the present moment?
07-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JoseFF Quote
Adam, In your opinion, which are examples of flagship bodies at that stage at the present moment?
Well I don't think there's much debate here. The APS-C flagship series has progressed as follows:

*ist D -> K10D -> K20D -> K-7 -> K-5 -> K-5 II/IIs -> K-3 -> K-3 II

At this point in time I'd recommend the K-3 as the best value.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
I wounder if we could do a survey of K30 and K50 users with shutter count and if they have had aperture block or shutter failure. That way we can get an idea of what shutter count average we need to be concerned about these issues. Plus we could get an idea of the percentage of bodies that develop these issues. That will give us K30/K50 users an idea of when we may need to upgrade. I own 2 K30's and a K50. I will be happy to provide this information on my camera bodies. Adam I bet you can do this.

Post in this thread and/or take the survey here:

>>> http://goo.gl/forms/6zKW6CtBCc2QqBNi1 <<<
Would be nice to see the results on going and actively.What is the point in participating when you cant see the outcome?
07-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Would be nice to see the results on going and actively.What is the point in participating when you cant see the outcome?
I am sure Adam will post the results.
Save
07-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
I am sure Adam will post the results.
Save
Yes I am sure he will, just an on going bar would be cool. Not sure how difficult it is to do.
07-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Since I can't access Google Forms from behind my company's firewall:

My K-30 is beginning to have the aperture block problem after almost 3 years and about 10,000 13,000 shots. For the past month or so the first shot after turning the camera on would typically be dark, but that was it.
But today I suddenly had a much worse time of it, not being able to get anything out of the kit lens until I went into Live View. I still don't know entirely how I got it working properly again, unless it was switching to the FA 77 that somehow fixed it. Of course, my all-manual Contax Distagon had no issues.

Edit, same day: Think it's gone for good now, as only switching to using the aperture ring will get me anything through the OVF. Even in Live View, the FA 77 on "A" gets stopped all the way down and won't take pictures at anything wider.

Edit #2, still same day: Switching to Eneloops fixed it (and stayed fixed even after switching back to the lithium battery), but probably only until tomorrow.

Last edited by Scintilla; 07-30-2016 at 07:02 PM.
07-30-2016, 02:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Survey done.

My K50 shutter failed after one year and more or less 5000 shutter count.
I have made a thread here when it happened, you can see it here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/296154-k...ter-stuck.html
07-30-2016, 02:58 AM   #30

K30, it was born in 2012-07-23.
Shutter = 57,379
Never had any issues.

Cheers.