Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K-30 was purchased Dec 2012, no worries so far.
Shutter Count 3 964 (even if the IMGnumber on the file is 7087???)
Manufacture Date 2012:07:25

Seb

08-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #137
Forum Member

K-S2
Manufactured Feb 2015, Bought October 2015, shutter count 4189.
No Problems.
08-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #138

K30 aperture issue

I don't remember my shutter count. My guess is 5-10k. But I don't feel like I owned the k30 long enough for the aperture issue to be acceptable. All my shots were black or next to black all the sudden after only about 2 yrs. I loved the camera at first. So, pissed bc even though it was cheap as far as dslrs go, it was still ~$900 for the 18-135 wr kit when I bought it and I never really felt like I used all that much. Pretty pissed now that I have to think about it again. Sat collecting dust for the past year until I was able to sell to a used camera shop/repair for $40.

I bought a KS2 and really hope it's good for a long time. If it goes too I'm selling off my glass.
08-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bought my K-30 in December 2012. Was extremely happy with it until the aperture block failed at about 7200 activations in September of 2015. Eventually repaired after it was shipped and returned from KEH (not able to repair), then to Precision twice (once to fix the aperture block, once to fix the focus which was poorly calibrated after the repair). I spent most of the fall without a camera, and didn't want to spend the annual family Thanksgiving trip without one so I bought a K-3II. The K-30 is now just a backup body.

08-03-2016, 04:16 AM   #140

QuoteOriginally posted by SirBismuth Quote
Will check my K-30 at home tonight, and answer the survey, but so far she's doing fine!

B
Ok, can finally answer here!

Model: K-30
Shutter Count: 7,796
Manufacture Date: 2012-08-14

No issues experienced so far.

B
08-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #141

Pentax K-50

I am a new member of this forum and this is my first post so I hope I get it right. I bought a White K-50 about 2 months ago partly because of the colour as I find the various buttons on all-black bodies difficult to locate in bright sunlight due to my advanced age. Also the menu system looked good. So far I have been very pleased with it.

The EXIF data gives 669 shutter firings, Year of manufacture 2015:03:02. I am surprised it is only 669 as I seem to have taken a lot more shots.
08-04-2016, 07:04 AM   #142

My K-30 had aperture block at around ~40000 shutter count. Info:

Camera: PENTAX K-30
Shutter Count: 62,486
Manufacture Date: 2012:12:08

I bought my camera on May 2013. My camera's aperture motor is not working, but I don't really have any problems with it, because I rarely need the auto-aperture, since most of the lenses I have are fully manual, and I use my K-30 mostly for time-lapses.
I hope it will stay alive for another at least 50000 shots.

I took and submitted the survey in the provided link.

EDIT: it was out of warranty, so I decided not to send it for repair, because it would have cost me almost as much as a brand new one.

Last edited by Khaj1t; 08-04-2016 at 07:17 AM.
08-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #143
Forum Member

Camera: K-50
Shutter Count: 778
Manufacture Date: 2013:10:03

28 months old - out of warranty - in for repairs now - $?
I wish I hadn't bought 3 DA lenses for $800 after buying the camera
08-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #144

K30

Camera: K-30
Shutter Count: 556
Manufacture Date: 2012:09:22
Purchase date from Costco: 06.23.2013

No problems, yet.
08-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #145

Pentax Model ID K-30
Manufacture Date 2012:06:01
Production Code 2.2
Original text in French translated into English with Google Translation
Hello My k30 died after tripping 59,391.
Symptom The unit turns on but no longer trigger with his tchac tchac so special and when I got home I realized that it took more than pictures all black!
My k30 me mainly used in animal macro and he has received numerous shock so I can not complain that he did not hold any longer.
I replaced with K3 is I'm delighted!
08-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #146
Forum Member

I filled in form, but I was not sure if shutter count is the latest photo one, or when camera failed.

So here is a bit more qualified data:

Camera PENTAX K-50
Date manufactured: 2013:08:30
Date bought: 2014:01:26
Failed: yes
Date failed: 2014:07:06
Shutter Count Failed: 11,225
Reparation cost: 0 (under warranty)
Part replaced: Diaphragm control block [NM D13-301]
Date the latest photo: 2016:08:06
Shutter Count the latest photo: 32,879

I have to add that I has similar symptoms the first time already in the first month of camera use,
but it was during ski trip on quite cold weather and I attributed it to the low temperature as camera started working after warming it up and off/on cycle.

The time it failed (on 2014:07:06) it was warm weather and I was shooting burst with battery that was not full (yellow indicator).

Nothing helped the second time and the camera went to the service, where the problem disappeared when trying to show it.
Nevertheless the repair was done and Diaphragm control block [NM D13-301] was replaced.

Since than I shoot 21,654 photos without issue, but switched to Eneloops, trying to keep them always in green, and avoided burst if it got to yellow.
Perhaps unrelated, but I am still not proven wrong

I was very happy with the service (Belgium/France).

Last edited by Fila; 08-08-2016 at 05:03 AM.
08-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
My K-30 failed. Manufactured 2012, shutter count at 7,500 at failure.

Picked up another one, already known to have failed, to investigate with.
2012 also, and has shot 11,000 but not entirely sure when it failed.

Honestly though, I do not believe there is any connection between shutter count and failure. It's a parts defect issue, so it's a case of does you camera have these parts installed or not. It's of little use to sit there and say my camera doesn't have this issue, because I'm not saying it's model specific. It's a parts issue, and if you haven't been affected, then you are lucky. For those who have been affected, Pentax has failed them.

There are no serial markings on the faulty parts, so only Pentax themselves will be able to track the dodgy batch, and identify which camera's had those parts installed. Pentax have stayed quiet, have not publicly acknowledged that a problem even exists.
Quite so. I bought my K-50 a couple of years ago, haven't used it much, and lo and behold it's now unusable. In fact, if I'd used it a lot more, I think I'd have been luckier (judging by comments here).

Actually, with any luck, it's not going to be unusable, as it still seems to work with lenses which have an aperture ring (using M-mode and the green button). How long that situation will exist remains to be seen.

Just as well I'm a less keen photographer nowadays. Just wish I hadn't recommended it to others.

Not at all happy with Pentax.
08-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #148
Pentaxian

.... It's a parts issue, and if you haven't been affected, then you are lucky. For those who have been affected, Pentax has failed them.
The purpose of this survey is to determine how common this defect is.
We already know that people here are much noisier when they are unhappy than when they are happy.
As I have already commented many times, I moved from Canon to Pentax, partly because I had two consecutive Canon Rebels fail, both apparently having problems with the processor {and I had to "hard reboot" the second one multiple times before the final failure}. It took nearly eight years for this to happen, but my total shutter count was under 5K. I haven't heard any great out-cry anywhere about Canon Rebels having problems with their processor. Parts fail, it happens.
If this problem is uncommon, then those affected are unlucky.
If this problem is common, then, yes, Pentax has failed them.
08-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #149
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

For those affected, the problem has occurred. Be it a common problem or not, Pentax has still not come to their aid.

If we new the batch numbers/serial numbers of those that were failing, then that would be a very useful warning indicator when purchasing new or 2nd hand.
Knowing that only 2% overall are affected doesn't help you identify if you are in the blast zone or not.
08-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #150
Pentaxian

For those affected, the problem has occurred. Be it a common problem or not, Pentax has still not come to their aid.
Canon did not come to my aid, nor did I expect them to.

The first new car my family ever owned was a 1958 Ford station-wagon. Some time in the mind-1960's, after the car was out of warranty, my uncle from the U.S. East Coast visited and borrowed the station-wagon to drive 150 miles to see the third brother. During that trip, the water pump broke. The three brothers tried every "junk yard" and other source of parts within 300 miles; they found 1958 Fords - some had a broken water pump and some had no water pump. Within a few weeks, that car joined the 1958 Fords in the "'junk yard' with broken water pump" category. Ford did not come to my Dad's aid {this was before U.S. law required the manufacturer to provide parts for ten years}, nor did he expect them to. I'm guessing that a 1958 Mercury {mid-range car made by Ford} or a 1958 Lincoln {top of Ford range} would not have a problem like that, but my parents had not paid Mercury or Lincoln prices.

Every machine will fail sooner or later. We expect a few to fail earlier than others, and we expect less expensive machines to tend to fail earlier than more expensive machines. By law and/or usual practice, a company needs to come to the aid of their users only if they have promised to or the fault is dangerous. And so the long thought encapsulated in my
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If this problem is uncommon, then those affected are unlucky.
was that if Pentax built and distributed a camera guaranteed to fail in a time period much shorter than anyone would normally expect, then they have a problem, but we don't know that to be true. This survey will begin to let us know whether these particular consumer-grade cameras regularly fail earlier than is typical of consumer-grade cameras.