Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Canon did not come to my aid, nor did I expect them to.

The first new car my family ever owned was a 1958 Ford station-wagon. Some time in the mind-1960's, after the car was out of warranty, my uncle from the U.S. East Coast visited and borrowed the station-wagon to drive 150 miles to see the third brother. During that trip, the water pump broke. The three brothers tried every "junk yard" and other source of parts within 300 miles; they found 1958 Fords - some had a broken water pump and some had no water pump. Within a few weeks, that car joined the 1958 Fords in the "'junk yard' with broken water pump" category. Ford did not come to my Dad's aid {this was before U.S. law required the manufacturer to provide parts for ten years}, nor did he expect them to. I'm guessing that a 1958 Mercury {mid-range car made by Ford} or a 1958 Lincoln {top of Ford range} would not have a problem like that, but my parents had not paid Mercury or Lincoln prices.

Every machine will fail sooner or later. We expect a few to fail earlier than others, and we expect less expensive machines to tend to fail earlier than more expensive machines. By law and/or usual practice, a company needs to come to the aid of their users only if they have promised to or the fault is dangerous. And so the long thought encapsulated in my was that if Pentax built and distributed a camera guaranteed to fail in a time period much shorter than anyone would normally expect, then they have a problem, but we don't know that to be true. This survey will begin to let us know whether these particular consumer-grade cameras regularly fail earlier than is typical of consumer-grade cameras.
Yep I guess from your logic we are up a CREEK

08-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Haven't been following the story in the greatest of detail, but my K-50 has aperture failure after 2 years and very few actuations. But is this linked to future shutter failure?

If so, that is much much worse, as the camera will then be a total write-off.
08-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Canon did not come to my aid, nor did I expect them to.

The first new car my family ever owned was a 1958 Ford station-wagon. Some time in the mind-1960's, after the car was out of warranty, my uncle from the U.S. East Coast visited and borrowed the station-wagon to drive 150 miles to see the third brother. During that trip, the water pump broke. The three brothers tried every "junk yard" and other source of parts within 300 miles; they found 1958 Fords - some had a broken water pump and some had no water pump. Within a few weeks, that car joined the 1958 Fords in the "'junk yard' with broken water pump" category. Ford did not come to my Dad's aid {this was before U.S. law required the manufacturer to provide parts for ten years}, nor did he expect them to. I'm guessing that a 1958 Mercury {mid-range car made by Ford} or a 1958 Lincoln {top of Ford range} would not have a problem like that, but my parents had not paid Mercury or Lincoln prices.

Every machine will fail sooner or later. ...
Fortunately, so far, my K-30 aperture is working just fine. So fingers crossed and carry on!

Not meaning to go too far afield, but my first car was a 1951 Ford, bought (in sad condition) for $50 by my dad for my 16th birthday present. It rolled. "Hey, listen to the (AM only) radio! It works great! (after 5 minutes warming up the tubes)" I fixed it up on my own and I was mobile!

Sometime over the next couple of years, the water pumps died (one on each side of the flat-head V8). So, that was mid-1970s. I just went to the auto parts store and bought new water pumps for my over 20 year old Ford. I guess maybe the 58 Ford wagon had something special about the water pumps, but they were pretty straightforward and widely available 20+ years later for my 51 Custom Sedan.
08-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #154
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
Haven't been following the story in the greatest of detail, but my K-50 has aperture failure after 2 years and very few actuations. But is this linked to future shutter failure?

If so, that is much much worse, as the camera will then be a total write-off.
There is another poll out there trying to explore this other question
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/325832-poll-establis...re-issues.html

My "gut reaction" is that they are not connected, but I don't actually know.
In fact, I believe that several different issues have all been combined in our collective consciousness.

08-12-2016, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #155
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll be summarizing the data soon. With over 400 responses, this should paint a pretty good picture of the state of things

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #156

Hello,

mine is:
Camera PENTAX K-30
Shutter Count 35,416
Manufacture Date 2012:06:30

SO far seems to be working pretty good, no troubles faced yet, except dust getting on the sensor, Pentax should really get rid of DR and make all cameras DRII or DRIII (?) driven for dust removal system, you know, the one that matches ultrasonic vibrations like in Pentax K3. Aperture seems to work well, shutter works nicely, shake reduction is working, buttons and wheels are good, still enjoying taking pictures.
08-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #157

2 years old 18000 no issues. nice camera

08-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #158

K-30 aperture block

My K-30 suffered aperture block in early 2015, not sure if the fall on the tripod had anything to do with setting it off but it was after this fall that I found the fault. I'm lucky as I have a lot of lenses that have manual aperture dials so I can still shoot. The only issue I have is I have a nice Sigma 10-20mm that I love to use for landscapes but it is only auto aperture so I can't use it now on the K-30. I also have a K-m (K-2000?) which has no issues.

Shutter details are:

Camera PENTAX K-30
Shutter Count 7,221
Manufacture Date 2012:10:02

08-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #159

My K-30:
Manuf: 7/30/2012
Shutter Count: 70,206
Aperture block failed about 2 1/2 years ago and was replaced.
Current aperture block is starting to fail.
08-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #160
Forum Member

My K-30 aperture block failed at around 60,000 clicks.I loved that camera. can still use old manual lens on it. Gave it to my Nephew
to practice with a couple of my old lenses. Now I have the K-5IIs
08-13-2016, 12:14 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Does either of these problems affect the K-01?
I'm at close to 39,000 on the shutter count.
08-13-2016, 01:01 AM   #162
Site Supporter

My K50's aperture died after about 18 months and a shutter count of around 12000. As it was still under guarentee they replaced it for me.
08-13-2016, 02:54 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-50 4600 counts when I started noticing aperture problem. Just outside of warranty by 2 months.
08-13-2016, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #164
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll be summarizing the data soon. With over 400 responses, this should paint a pretty good picture of the state of things
I kid you not, my k-30 started taking extremely underexposed pictures a couple of hours after I filled the questionnaire. Shooting continuously 4-5 shots fixes the problem, but the dark pictures are back again as soon as the camera is off for 10 minutes. The 2-year guarantee already expired, so I'm keeping the camera as it is for now.

After Photokina I'll decide what's next. I briefly flirted with the idea of getting a Fuji, but I'm now pretty sure that my next camera will still be a Pentax.
08-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nessie Quote
I kid you not, my k-30 started taking extremely underexposed pictures a couple of hours after I filled the questionnaire. Shooting continuously 4-5 shots fixes the problem, but the dark pictures are back again as soon as the camera is off for 10 minutes. The 2-year guarantee already expired, so I'm keeping the camera as it is for now.

After Photokina I'll decide what's next. I briefly flirted with the idea of getting a Fuji, but I'm now pretty sure that my next camera will still be a Pentax.
This will turn out to be your shutter block.