2.yes
3.yes

Unlucky

10-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JoseFF Quote
The purpose of this poll is to try to find out how many of the K-30/50 that have had aperture block failure have also developed shutter block failure. The results will help establish whether both issues are related or not and if the aperture block failure represents the first stage of a bigger problem.

Please answer the following questions with either a Yes or a No:

1.- Did your K-30/50 have aperture block failure?
2.- Did your K-30/50 have shutter block failure?
3.- In case you have answered Yes to the above two questions, was the aperture block failure prior to the shutter block failure?

Thanks in advance to all participants
We know that the "aperture block failure" is really the failure of a solenoid. I don't believe that the failure of an aperture solenoid could have any effect on the shutter system. The two systems are unrelated. Could both systems fail? Of course, but their failure cannot be related.
10-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #48

The purpose of this poll is to try to find out how many of the K-30/50 that have had aperture block failure have also developed shutter block failure. The results will help establish whether both issues are related or not and if the aperture block failure represents the first stage of a bigger problem.

3.- In case you have answered Yes to the above two questions, was the aperture block failure prior to the shutter block failure?

1. Yes, my K50 had an aperture problem. I bought a set of AA batteries and that was fixed for awhile. But now the problem returned and this time it seemed permanently. I tried the fix that people reported in this forums but accidentally shorted the flash capacitor and the camera won't turn on after that. Still didn't see any apparently faulty components. I will look into it in the future to see if I could fix it but I guess the chance is slim at this point.
2. No.
3. N/A

I am looking for a new camera and I did think about Canon or Nikon or Sony but I can't shake the feeling I have for Pentax. I guess I just go with another Pentax body, this time a used one (possibly a K10D or K20D because that's all I can afford right now).
10-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
1. No

2. No

3. na
Update: my K-30 started having what I call 'Dark Image Syndrome' at the end of May, when shutter count was approx 3023, and I had been using it for just about 3 years, mostly with AA batteries.

Ever since then, a few exposures are required to get it working at beginning of each day.

The shutter seems to still work normally.

Last edited by reh321; 10-28-2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: correct shutter count
12-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #50
Forum Member

1.Yes (my photos got bonkers 2 weeks now both shots via viewfinder and live view mode)
2. what is that?
3. what are the symptoms for block failure/shutter failure?
01-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Useless survey

This is a totally useless survey!

Because even if anybody with answer 2. with yes, it will not be any prove that the two issues are linked.

The shutterblock has two independant solenoids (more powerful)

Allthough both, the aperture block and the shutter block... work of course together, a damage of the solenoid will not affect the shutterblock.

Or lets have a look from a different angle:

To start a survey like this means I understand enough of what's going on inside a Pentax DSLR with a solenoid in use.

And I know enough about how a shutterblock works.
01-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcagara08 Quote
1.Yes (my photos got bonkers 2 weeks now both shots via viewfinder and live view mode)
2. what is that?
3. what are the symptoms for block failure/shutter failure?
Aperture Block Failure means the camera body can no longer correctly set aperture of the lens; the photo is very dark, but present. There are two 'sticky' "Dark Exposure" threads at the top of this Section.

Any type of "shutter" failure means exactly what it sounds like - the camera doesn't actually take a photo when you press the button.

01-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Aperture Block Failure means the camera body can no longer correctly set aperture of the lens; the photo is very dark, but present. There are two 'sticky' "Dark Exposure" threads at the top of this Section.

Any type of "shutter" failure means exactly what it sounds like - the camera doesn't actually take a photo when you press the button.
thanks! got my camera fixed after being $100 poorer
05-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #54
Forum Member

And still at random times I am getting the same symptoms I hope my technician didnt just did the file method for that iffy solenoid

05-12-2019, 12:49 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcagara08 Quote
And still at random times I am getting the same symptoms.
I hope my technician didn't just apply the filing method for that iffy solenoid
Most likely he did because that is cheaper and seems that bit more simple because no soldering is needed.
But actually it's not true: Soldering is easier than fiddling with tight wires around, the danger to do damage is
higher if one dares to solder.
If no soldering experience: cut a few wires and learn it. It's pretty easy and straight forward if you don't have

to left hands or ... as some... mix up head and hands

Last edited by photogem; 12-03-2019 at 11:00 AM.