Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
Oricman

Erratic exposure - K30

I was testing my 55-300 zoom and didn't realise the ISO was on the variable setting rather than a fixed ISO. The cameras decided to select 1600 iso which produced very over-exposed shots.
My exposures can seem quite variable. Consecutive shots of the same subject can come out quite differently so it seems the camera doesn't adjust settings to produce the right exposure.
Similar things happen when using flash. It doesn't seem to adjust the flash to the settings used so can produce over or under-exposed images.

I can get a good exposure by adjusting the settings using a bit of trial and error but a subject may have moved on by then.

This wouldn't think this is how the camera should behave(?) Does this happen to anyone else???

07-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What exposure mode is the camera set to? If spot mode, then small changes in composition can have very big exposure changes.

(Note that some K30 cameras develop an aperture control problem, but this results in variable, badly underexposed photos. There are several threads about this)
07-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oricman Quote
I was testing my 55-300 zoom and didn't realise the ISO was on the variable setting rather than a fixed ISO. The cameras decided to select 1600 iso which produced very over-exposed shots.
If you have over-exposed shots, it is not because of auto-ISO. In all but M, X, and B modes the exposure follows the meter reading. As AlexBW noted, use of the spot meter for ordinary shooting* is a common cause of variable exposure and may be what is causing your problems if that is your practice.

Is there any chance you can share an example image? An out-of-camera JPEG (EXIF intact) is preferred.

Steve

* Spot metering is a special purpose tool that allows fine exposure control. The catch is that appropriate use requires active involvement by the photographer and experience with the technique.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-16-2016 at 04:55 PM.
07-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Oricman

I tend to shoot in center weighted rather than spot. I'll post something later. The recent ones are still on the camera.

07-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Oricman

Looking at the info on the camera I've found it set to spot metering. Good call AlexBW & Stevebrot !
I've no idea how it got to be on that setting - it's one I rarely use. It's actually quite a relief to find a definite cause.

I've gone back to the shots I took the day before and they too are on Spot metering. I don't know how it happened to be on there - but at least it's something that is easy to correct!

Thanks for the replies. I'm a pillock!
07-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oricman Quote
Looking at the info on the camera I've found it set to spot metering. Good call AlexBW & Stevebrot !
I've no idea how it got to be on that setting - it's one I rarely use. It's actually quite a relief to find a definite cause.

I've gone back to the shots I took the day before and they too are on Spot metering. I don't know how it happened to be on there - but at least it's something that is easy to correct!

Thanks for the replies. I'm a pillock!
For my style of shooting, the third setting {which values each point equally} works best, partly because it provides the most stability.
YMMV.