Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #1

Color combos of the K-50 body

I am curious to find out how many of the color combo of the body were produced. I know that black, red & white, were standard delivered colors, but there were so many combinations of colors, I wanted to see which were more rare. (probably the ugliest of the combos were more rare, but still want to know of the rest. If you can tell me how many K-50's were produced, that would be a good starting point

07-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
07-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

But many of these were only available in Japan or as special order (similarly to K-r and some other models).
Outside of Japan, we get the more classic colours, mostly the Black (obviously, pure black) and White (stormtrooper, panda), and then Blue and Red and Green sometimes. The crazy colour combinations are just for preorders, I think.
I think Ricoh also made some coloured lenses. The kit lenses in the photo above have some variation, and the DA 35mm was also produced in various colours (for the K-r). Maybe the DA 50mm was produced in other colours? I'm not sure.

Some of these colour combinations look really cool, but you kind of have to see them in person. Pentax would do well to ship some more coloured copies around the world. But on the other hand, in Europe and in the US people really want just pure black cameras. I think it has something to do with ego, with "lookin like a pro". Black colour has no real advantage. People get more paranoid when they see it ("are you a spy? are you a pervert? are you an undercover cop? are you a pro who will make money from this photo?"), it absorbs heat slightly more, and it looks more expensive (and attractive to thieves). Eh, to each their own I guess
07-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
I am curious to find out how many of the color combo of the body were produced. I know that black, red & white, were standard delivered colors, but there were so many combinations of colors, I wanted to see which were more rare. (probably the ugliest of the combos were more rare, but still want to know of the rest. If you can tell me how many K-50's were produced, that would be a good starting point
I'm afraid your curiosity will have to go unsatisfied. Ricoh doesn't share specific production numbers, so no one here knows how many K-50s were produced. Next, the numbers we DO see suggest most of their sales are in Japan; however, PF has very little visibility there (on PF's "World Pentax Day" gallery map, there were ZERO photos posted from Japan). While the "choose your color combination" service was available in the US, those bodies were generally not subject to discounts like the basic black/white/red K-50s, so I doubt very many custom colors were sold outside of Japan even with the service. Since Pentax/Japan actually has a sales and service network, it was probably easier to order a custom body there - you could get custom grips for the K-r just by walking in to a service center. So really, the one place where there might be significant numbers of custom colored K-50s is the one place we know the least about.

07-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, all 100 colors were available for order here. But regardless of market, I'm sure the custom options were nothing more than a niche.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But on the other hand, in Europe and in the US people really want just pure black cameras. I think it has something to do with ego, with "lookin like a pro". Black colour has no real advantage. People get more paranoid when they see it ("are you a spy? are you a pervert? are you an undercover cop? are you a pro who will make money from this photo?"), it absorbs heat slightly more, and it looks more expensive (and attractive to thieves). Eh, to each their own I guess
You covered most of my thinking in a very economical way. I was very disappointed when the rest of the camera world followed Canon's T-90 heat-trapping design, leaving me with few options. For many years, I had a camera that made me look like a "pro", first the chrome-and-black standard and then the T-90-all-black standard, and every so often I would have to explain to someone that no, I'm not a "pro", and no, I'm not going to make money off their image. I am happy that Pentax has given me options; on my own, I would have purchased the silver-and-black Q-7 and the "panda" K-50, but I got what I have because I got good prices on barely-used-like-new cameras.