Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-50 overexposing when stopped down

I have had my K-50 for a little less than 2 years and have somewhere around 16,000 clicks. I have recently developed an exposure issue that is consistent across all lenses.
In short, if stopped down to f6.3 or more, the camera heavily overexposes. the problem becomes progressively worse, and by the time it hits f13, the pictures just white blobs. It appears the shutter speed is not adjusting properly as the aperture shrinks and is over compensating.I have to progressively adjust the EV as low as -7.0 to correct the problem. If I put the camera in manual mode and adjust the shutter speed based on the metering readout, then the camera overexposes as I steadily speed the shutter up until I hit a mystery point and then the exposure gets very dark almost instantly. It seems something with the internal metering is completely out of whack and can't handle small apertures, as everything works perfect at f5 and below.
Settings:
-multi-segmented metering
-aperture priority
-EV at 0

08-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the infamous shutter block failure issue. A repair center can fix this, though it may not be economical if you're outside of warranty as the repair is $150-200 on average.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
If it is the shutter, then I am not wanting to pay the quoted $175 I've seen to fix a $400 body. I would just as soon upgrade to a K3ii, as I am printing fairly large (36" prints a 300dpi) and pushing limits of the sensor. I take thsi camera all over the mountains with me and shoot in storms and the like, so a more robust camera may be better.
08-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
If it is the shutter, then I am not wanting to pay the quoted $175 I've seen to fix a $400 body. I would just as soon upgrade to a K3ii, as I am printing fairly large (36" prints a 300dpi) and pushing limits of the sensor. I take thsi camera all over the mountains with me and shoot in storms and the like, so a more robust camera may be better.
That sounds like a good idea! The K-3 won't give up nearly as quickly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
Do we have any idea as to whether the K70 retained any of the problem components from the K30/50- it appears to be an odd hybrid of the k3 and k50 as far as features and components, and would be a another potential replacement.
08-05-2016, 03:30 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Give your point that "a more robust camera may be better", I'd honestly recommend the K-3 or K-3II. The K-70 is a fine camera, I've no doubt, but the build quality is aimed at the same level as the K-50 and K-S2. The K-3 and K-3II have a much more robust and rugged build quality to them. If the cost of either is prohibitive, I'd suggest a good used example - the number of shutter actuations can be verified with the seller before purchase, and both models have a 200,000 actuation shutter life.
08-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The shutter block problem is more commonly associated with underexposed shots but mine failed in a way similar to what you describe. I did not note and specific aperture ranges Mine was under warranty so I had it repaired.

Do you have any lenses with aperture rings? You could try using them in green button mode. It may work then but with the underexpoure issue I doubt it. M42 lenses or modified k/m/a lenses using manual aperture should work.

If the manual green button works on an unmodified k/n/a lens using the aperture ring there is a post from a guy looking for a cheap body to use with a 50mm f1.2 - you may want to chat with him.
08-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

Original Poster
I do not have an aperture ring on any of my lenses (see profile for lens list), so I can't test that unfortunately.
I'm headed out to the Colorado national Monument next weekend and think i'm going to rent a K3 or K3II to compare. I'm not sure whether the K3II would be worth the extra money over the K3 though.

08-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #9

For renting to try at a national park get the K-3 II. The only advantage the K-3 has its the built in flash, which you won't use shooting landscapes. With the K-3 II you can try pixel shift and use the GPS to tag your photos, and maybe even use the Astrotracer for some star shots at night. I'm sure you'll love either K-3, and a weekend with the extra features in version II will tell you whether it's worth the extra cost when you buy one. (Yup when, not if. &#128521

I got my K-3 before the K-3 II came out and for the cost involved I don't need to upgrade yet. The built in flash has saved me on three or four occasions, but if I was choosing now I think I'd lean towards the K-3 II. You can bet I'll be drooling over the K-3 III or whatever's next when it comes out though.
08-07-2016, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a K-3 from B&H.. should be here by Wednesday. The K-3II didn't have any features I felt I would really use, and the fill flash is nice in a pinch. If I hate it, I can always send it back I guess...
08-08-2016, 01:05 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on your K-3 - really, an excellent choice, I think you'll love it - there really isn't anything at all to dislike about it, especially if you're already a Pentax user.
08-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #12

Original Poster
K-3 came today and initial impression is good. I will break it in on my trip this weekend- hopefully come back with some decent images!
08-11-2016, 12:44 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Great news - enjoy! Looking forward to seeing your photos