Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 06:13 AM   #1

Transient issue with viewfinder not matching image

Hi folks, wasn't sure whether to put this here or in troubleshooting so hope it's OK here... New to the forum too, so greetings to all!

I have had my trusty K-50, my first DSLR, for just over 2 years. Shutter count around 18500. Whilst out on a photo walk recently, I had a brief issue with it which I haven't had before.

All of a sudden the viewfinder image was shifted up compared to the actual image captured. This happened several times, until the camera froze up. On/off did nothing so had to take battery out. When I turned it back on, it was back to normal.

It was a hot day, around 90 degrees, but have been out several times a week this summer in these temps and not encountered this problem before. Plus it is within stated operating temperatures.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is it the beginning of the end? Really hope not...

(I have also had one occasion before where aperture change and AF didn't work and image super dark, not had it since though so hoping these are both one offs...)

Thanks!

08-31-2016, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #2

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like the mirror did not fully seat back in its ready position, causing the image viewed to be shifted.
08-31-2016, 06:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lillibet Quote
Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is it the beginning of the end? Really hope not...
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

My friend's K-50 failed in this manner. The mirror was not properly returning to its resting position and there were also problems with controlling the aperture. The fix required a trip to the service center.

Steve
08-31-2016, 07:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Uh oh 😢 Looks like I'd better get saving then... Fingers crossed its got a bit of life left in it yet- Love that little camera!

Thanks both!

08-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
a5m
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K-50 I had did the exact same thing. At the same time the aperture control mechanism was failing so I ended up sending it in for repair. I don't know if the two are related but perhaps they are seeing how you're experiencing the same issues.
08-31-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My k-50's viewfinder is a bit out of alignment with the actual image. This isn't sudden or intermittent, and it wasn't always this way. At first I blamed myself for composition errors. Then I shot very carefully and reviewed the images immediately after shooting them and realized that there is a misalignment. I've been compensating by using focus lock and re-framing the picture. The misalignment is consistent and doesn't seem to affect the function of the camera. I've had the camera for about 6 months now. I've had one dark frame and one shutter seems to stick half way - though the latter was likely due to an error on my part.
09-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
Aah that actually sounds familiar about being out of alignment. I had wondered if it was off a bit over the last year, as have been occasions where the horizons have come out crooked, or something's been cut off slightly more than I recalled composing. But I just put it down to me holding my head crooked! (I've been told I do this by opticians). Wonder if it's related to the sudden viewfinder error then too...

Overall it's not looking too positive really 😢 Oh well, if it died tomorrow I'd certainly have got my money's worth from it, and it still produces great images regardless. Will just have to view it as an opportunity to upgrade if and when it does go!

09-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

This has happened a couple of times on my black & red K-50. It's basically the same camera as the K-30. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the SR not moving the image sensor back into place or just getting stuck. Like I'll shoot a picture & I know exactly where I had framed it & BAM! You look at the LCD screen & things are cut off. What the heck? So I pull out the battery, turn the on/off switch a few times, put the batter back in, & shoot again. Problem solved.

Both of them have also frozen on me a few times. I've had to pull the battery out to get them to unfreeze. I guess it's "normal" for these cameras even though it shouldn't be. They both have the latest firmware too. I've had them for about 1 year & 8 months. Outside of those rare occasions, they have both worked very well.

My old 10MP CCD Sony A200 DSLR was 100% rock solid reliable & I got about 90,000 images out of it. Never froze, never had IBIS issues, & worked perfectly for the 6 years that I used it. Then again, we are talking about a very large company with deeper pockets that made that camera. From reading a lot of reviews & comments about Pentax, it seems like they don't really spend time on their lower models & QC can vary at times. Their cameras tend to work well for the most part, though. One thing is for sure. Every camera company has their issues. Nikon & Canon are too expensive. Sony is really pushing the E-mount & ignoring the A-mount. Pentax will suffer from QC at times.

I really do enjoy using my K-50 & I would like to stay with Pentax. As far as I know, the K-3II hasn't had any issues & the K-3 got a few issues resolved with firmware. They're both pretty rock solid. I'm thinking of replacing my K-50 bodies with a K-3II later this year or waiting to see what the next APS-C flagship will bring. I also don't have a problem with switching to another camera brand if push came to shove. I'd probably move to Nikon if I had to.