Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #1

Noise form lens after some use in bad weather conditions

Hi all

Back from Iceland where I think I got some cool shots of the stunning landscapes (breathtaking views, I really fell in love with it).

Now, on a couple of occasiones I got some rain and the Sigma 10-20 F/3.5 EX DG HSM I was using took some (not heavy, just light but I had to wipe camera and lens afterwards).
No big deal for the K30 but the lens started to do some squeaky noise when it's focusing (only when doing some long moves). I know, I should get a WR set of lenses, don't yell at me, I'll do it sooner or later.

I wonder if some rain could've got into the HSM mechanism or inside the body of the lens to cause this.

I just got back to Italy and here it's almost 25°C during the day so I'll check back later today to see if it's still squeaking or not.

In the meantime...ideas?

Thanx

09-06-2016, 06:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other than the new 15-30 used on a K-1 I can't think of any weather sealed ultra wide lenses zoom or prime for Pentax. So don't kick yourself too much.
09-06-2016, 06:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Other than the new 15-30 used on a K-1 I can't think of any weather sealed ultra wide lenses zoom or prime for Pentax. So don't kick yourself too much.
That's what I'm eventually getting to in a few months...BTW, being out there in some bad weather with the camera felt GREAT!
09-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
Oricman

My Sigma 17-70 squeaked a little in the macro range. Didn't bother me really and didn't seem to effect things much but I had the focus motor changed for other reasons. Now it's fine.
Whilst mine has a small occasional squeak, I think it didn't matter, really. I'm not sure whether it is water or dust. But if it gets loud or persistent I would consider getting the motor changed.

If you're going to shoot in the rain it's worth getting one of those protective bags that has a hole to allow the lens to see out while the camera is in the bag.
I guess it seems a bit odd having to protect a camera that is supposed to be weather resistant, but until they get all the lenses in WR form we're going to have to use this sort of kit.

09-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Am I correct in thinking that a WR camera body isn't really protected if the lens isn't WR - that water could get into the body through the mount and damage / ruin it??
09-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Am I correct in thinking that a WR camera body isn't really protected if the lens isn't WR - that water could get into the body through the mount and damage / ruin it??
Yes, that is possible. It is also possible with a full WR system if a pressure differential is created during zoom/focus movements.

FWIW, I have been shooting WR body with non-WR lens in the very wet Pacific Northwest coast of N. America since 2007* with not issues, but also exercising reasonable precautions against soaking the kit.

Steve

* Many decades before that using similar precautions with film SLRs.
09-16-2016, 03:18 AM   #7
Oricman

My DA 55-300 got a few drops of rain in the end which resulted in the optics steaming up inside. When I used to have a Minolta SLR some folk cleaned their lenses with a drip of washing up liquid and a few drops of water. These modern lenses wouldn't stand that - don't even try.
I took the 55-300 apart and repaired it with a duff DAL version I had. Right at the end there are two lenses sandwiched together and water had somehow got between these. I never managed to get these apart and just replaced it.
If your lenses aren't WR I would keep them out of the rain. It's interesting though that other manufacturers do weather sealed bodies but don't seem to have a line of weather sealed lenses - unless I'm missing something(?)