Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cable to PC?

Honestly, most of my accessories and cables that came with my K-50 are in my box in the attic somewhere, it would take a lot of time and effort to go hunting for it so I just thought I'd ask this question quickly here.

I'm getting tired of popping the sd card out of my K-50 to transfer pics across, is there a cable that connects the K-50 to the PC for file transfer purposes? My sd card is also starting to show shards of plastic that could snap off it (and it's a Eyefi card), so I'm hesitant to continue ejecting and reinserting.

Do all K-50's come with a cable? Or is it a standard usb cable or propriety?

Cheers,

Bruce

09-07-2016, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, Bruce, the camera is supplied with a cable to connect to a USB port (part is called I-USB7). I believe it's proprietary, but it is common. It's only USB2.0 though.

Last edited by Des; 09-07-2016 at 12:22 AM.
09-07-2016, 01:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Yes, Bruce, the camera is supplied with a cable to connect to a USB port (part is called I-USB7). I believe it's proprietary, but it is common. It's only USB2.0 though.
Oh well... looks like i need to go digging up in the attic and find it then lol, cheers Des.
09-07-2016, 04:58 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Oh well... looks like i need to go digging up in the attic and find it then lol, cheers Des.
It is somewhat of a standard USB ver 2 cable. Standard USB one one end and I forget the connector type of the other. They are available via mail order at Fry's Electronics (because I have picked one up there) and on Amazon and evilbay.com.There are only several types...
  • Standard A on one end for the PC.
  • Not Standard B (printers) or Micro-B (cell phones)
  • That leaves Mini B or Mini AB - and I can't remember.
Looking at the camera end, it is a rectangle, so I will guess Standard A to Mini AB USB cable.

According to this it's a Mini-B connector.

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-07-2016 at 05:11 AM.
09-07-2016, 05:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check the manual, I bet it says what the connection is. potentially one of the micro connectors, due to size.
09-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #6

As I recall these use a connector similar to the UC-E6 connector that Nikon uses.

8 pin UC-E6 like-mini-usb proprietary connector cables and pinouts / pinouts.ru
http://pinoutsguide.com/DigitalCameras/micro_usb_8pin_camera_pinout.shtml
09-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't have the k-30 or k-50, but I bet Pentax uses the same connector cable for all models.... it is micro USB connector type for my k-5/II, and k-3 included in the original package.

09-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People here say that it is proprietary
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/297558...sb7-cable.html
Unless someone can confirm that a generic one works the same, I'd suggest sticking with a proprietary one. If the attic search is unsuccessful, I'm sure a member with a dead Pentax camera will be able to help.
09-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #9

The cables work with Kodak, Sony, Knoica Minolta, FujiFilm, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic and a host of different cameras.

The Pentax cable works on my Olympus point-n-shoot and the Olympus cable works on my Pentax K10D.
10-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I found that transferring using the cable is slower than pulling the card and feeding it into the card slot, so I pull the card every time. Just be careful that the card doesn't go flying across the room - the spring is pretty powerful. (My cats thought it was great fun to chase it.)
10-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It is a standard mini-B USB 2 cable. If you're like me you'll have half a dozen in a drawer somewhere.
10-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Be aware also that using the USB cable will drain your batteries in camera if you have lots of photos to transfer. That's why I use a USB card reader I plug card in, plug USB end in computer. I've not seen any deterioration of said card doing it this way.
10-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Be aware also that using the USB cable will drain your batteries in camera if you have lots of photos to transfer. That's why I use a USB card reader I plug card in, plug USB end in computer. I've not seen any deterioration of said card doing it this way.
I'm in that camp too. I got a new Kingston SD USB 3 card reader recently and it is noticeably faster.
10-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Be aware also that using the USB cable will drain your batteries in camera if you have lots of photos to transfer. That's why I use a [URL=" card reader[/URL] I plug card in, plug USB end in computer. I've not seen any deterioration of said card doing it this way.
That's what I've been doing. Mine is a 8gb Eyefi card, but it's flaking apart, I have to be careful when reinserting back into the camera or sd card reader as the plastic is becoming to flake and fall apart near the connectors!
Another photography friend of mine actually gave me his old 16gb eyefi card because of the same issue, his however is completely stuff, no external casing of the card left at all lol! I tried to see on google if u can buy new enclosures for the circuitry but I came up empty handed.

So the idea was to use the data cable, save the card further wear and tear.
10-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I thought the purpose of a eye-fi card was to be able to transfer photos via camera and wifi. If you're not using it in that capacity, I would just buy a regular SDHC card.