Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #1

Can a TV be used as a monitor for the K-50 in movie mode?

I know you can connect the USB cable to a computer for a K-50, how about use a modern TV as a monitor? Some of the newer flat screens have USB inputs, but if not there are AV inputs. In movie mode can you use a flat screen as the monitor? Would you recommend powering the camera separately? thanks.

09-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-50 has no HDMI out AFAIK, so unfortunately that's not an option.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #3

If you have the Pentax USB AV cable with the yellow RCA connector and the flat screen has a yellow RCA input you should be able to connect that way. There is also a sound out connector which I believe is white.

I don't think the USB is wired for video and sound out but I could be wrong.
09-07-2016, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just take your card out of K50, put it in laptop and HDMI laptop to TV.

11-01-2020, 04:06 PM   #5

For anyone still looking: Can confirm that the pentax av7/rca cable will work on a tv with those connections. Additionally, composite connections appear to need a converter to take advantage of HDMI. I got the mini HDMI converter and the AV7 cable off Amazon and managed to hook it up to my tv. It requires usb power, so it's not the most elegant solution, but it works. You can also add a HDMI to DVI converter and hook it up to a computer monitor.

Maybe there is a more elegant way to achieve this, but I haven't found the cables to do so. Open to suggestions, but this does work.