Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Do you feel the K-50 mount is strong enough to support big lens on tripod 4 long?

My concern is that I would keep a K-50 on a tripod, basically always, with a 17-70mm (Pentax) lens. Do you feel the mount is strong enough to support this for extended periods? Maybe tilt the cam up a bit to take the stress off. Maybe a silly concern or question, but I like finding out your opinions. thanks.

09-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes...
09-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
with a 17-70mm (Pentax) lens.
This is a ridiculously LIGHT lens. Not heavy at all. The K-mount has been in use for something like 40 years with hardly any failures as you describe. The only mount failures I have ever heard of were caused by the camera being dropped.

I use the DA*60-250 and the DA*300 on my cameras all the time with no issues. Be concerned using something like the DFA*70-200 or DFA 150-450 but your lens will not even be noticed by the camera.
09-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used the K-50/K-3 with the K300/4 without a tripod collar on the lens - unwieldy/unbalanced? yes.... but I never really feared for the health of the mount itself...

09-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Forum Member

The 17-70 weights about a pound -- so I wouldn't anticipate any problems. I have lenses a little bit heavier and use on a tripod, or hold by the body walking and waving the camera around for hundreds of hours (I use a hand strap), without any issues. I've had the camera for a few years. The mount seems amply strong. I would not support a 3-4 pound telephoto on a tripod by the body (instead of by the lens), but with a 17-70 I wouldn't worry. Maybe others have different experiences though...
09-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
Do you feel the mount is strong enough to support this for extended periods?
It should be fine. The mount anchors into the metal camera chassis and while the screws are small, they rarely pull out in regular use. That being said, there is a case for mounting the lens to the tripod rather than the camera. If the setup feels front heavy and is hard to secure in position with your tripod head without "sagging", a tripod ring or rail with lens support is probably in order, either that or a beefier tripod head. As jatrax noted above, your 17-70 does not fit into that classification and should not be a source of worry.

Steve
09-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-50 is clearly more then strong enough for DA 17-70 without a tripod collar on the lens. I never heard of anybody breaking the mount by lifting a heavy lens by the camera alone, and I never heard of any tilt focus errors by bendt camera bodys ether. So I guess its not a problem with any lens that are meaningful to lift by the camera alone.

I just bought a Pentax-F 1,7x AF adapter and tried it today, with my Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 300mm f/2,8 and two TC adapters. I couldn't lift the lens horizontally without supporting under it, even if I wanted. It just doesn't make sense to hold both hands on the camera to tilt it up towards horizontal, with that lens attached. The camera (and adapters) are very solid, and I guess you could break it if you really tried to lift something like this, just by holding the camera body.

When I have this lens on a tripod, I have no problem attaching a camera to it and let the camera hang in mid air by the mount. This goes for both my magnesium/steel skeleton K-5 and a plastic only K-x.

09-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I never heard of anybody breaking the mount by lifting a heavy lens by the camera alone
I have...the photos were not pretty, though it was several years ago. I don't remember whether the body was resin or metal chassis.*

Steve

* Not all K-mount film cameras were as well-made as our dSLRs...