Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #1

Shutter release clicking noise

Can the noise made when I push the shutter release button (take a photo) be turned off? If so, how? I have consulted my operating manual and turned off the sound on every option it gives me, but I can find nothing for this particular function, and the noise often frightens off the very insects, birds or animals that I am trying to photograph. Thank you.

10-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think not, the sound you hear is: Putting the mirror up, opening the shutter, closing the shutter, bringing the mirror down again. That is pure mechanic and you can't change. Be happy, pentax is one of the silent ones in the market. To get less noise, you need an electronic shutter - only available at the K-1 with firmware 1.3, an even there is some noise. And its true the K3 and the K1 are more gentle than a K30 or K50 but much more expensive

The alternative is a mirrorless with a electronic shutter
10-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
I think not, the sound you hear is: Putting the mirror up, opening the shutter, closing the shutter, bringing the mirror down again. That is pure mechanic and you can't change. Be happy, pentax is one of the silent ones in the market. To get less noise, you need an electronic shutter - only available at the K-1 with firmware 1.3, an even there is some noise. And its true the K3 and the K1 are more gentle than a K30 or K50 but much more expensive

Thank you. I was afraid that might be the answer, especially after I had scrolled through some of the other shutter noise posts, but at least it's good to know for sure. Thanks again.
10-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote

And "electronic shutter" has issues when motion is involved {research "rolling shutter"}. I really like my Q-7 because its leaf shutter is virtually silent, but I don't know of any modern cameras with a larger sensor that provide a leaf shutter.

10-11-2016, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
...but I don't know of any modern cameras with a larger sensor that provide a leaf shutter.
Hasselblad X1D?
10-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With phones and point-and-shoots often creating artificial shutter noises from a speaker, it's an understandable question...but no, this is a real shutter noise.
10-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

understandable, but only for the generation mobile, without any technical background.