Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Picture Size Ratio, K50

I've now ordered my K50, and whilst perusing the specs on the Ricoh website I've realised that the picture formats are all 3:2 ratio. For the last goodness knows how many years I've been shooting digital photos on compacts at 16:9, as the vast majority of the time the photos will be displayed on a laptop/TV/tablet which will most likely be around 16:9 format. So my question is, can I shoot on the K50 at 16:9, or can I put 16:9 frame markers up so I can ensure that I can safely crop to 16:9 ?

As I type this I've realised that I probably can't get markers in the viewfinder, as it is optical. Any advice gratefully received.

10-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most compacts are actually 4:3. 16:9 is specifically for video, and the K-50 can shoot videos in that aspect ratio.

For stills, however, you're confined for the native 3:2, which is what nearly all DSLRs use. If you want to change that, you have to crop in post.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it is a huge issue for you... then given the fact that the viewfinder focus screen is removable there are options. You can obtain a second focusing screen and set it aside in case you change your mind in the future, and then carefully remove it and mark the 16:9 frame - this can be a total mask off or simple a thin black marker line drawn on the focusing screen. I have not done this - but I have read about it in the case of 8x10 shooters on Canon...

Marking the focusing screen: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

For what it's worth, 16:9 is not a unanimous aspect ratio for PCs (it's really for TVs... though that is unfortunately changing). I use a 16:10 monitor on my Windows desktop. Most Macbooks that I know of are 16:10. Microsoft Surface PCs and tablets are 3:2.

There is an in-camera cropping tool on the K-50 that lets you select between 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, or 1:1. In the photo playback view, press the "Down"/WB key to bring up the edit menu and select "Cropping." Then use the INFO key to cycle through the aspect ratios. The rear dial controls the frame size, and the direction pad controls the placement. It's not ideal and you can do this in post, but hopefully it helps.

10-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Most compacts are actually 4:3. 16:9 is specifically for video, .
The last three I've owned have quite definitely shot stills in 16:9 Adam. It's just what I'm used to I suppose. I stare at 16:9 monitors all day!

Cheers.

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 02:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If it is a huge issue for you... then given the fact that the viewfinder focus screen is removable there are options. You can obtain a second focusing screen and set it aside in case you change your mind in the future, and then carefully remove it and mark the 16:9 frame - this can be a total mask off or simple a thin black marker line drawn on the focusing screen. I have not done this - but I have read about it in the case of 8x10 shooters on Canon...

Marking the focusing screen: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
I might give this a try, it's an excellent idea.

When TV first went widescreen we had to do the opposite on all the camera viewfinders by marking off the 4:3 area with chinagraph pencils (or permanent markers!) so that shots were still framed up to suit the vast majority of viewers' TVs that would lose the info at the edges of the 16:9 frame.

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 02:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
For what it's worth, 16:9 is not a unanimous aspect ratio for PCs (it's really for TVs... though that is unfortunately changing). I use a 16:10 monitor on my Windows desktop. Most Macbooks that I know of are 16:10. Microsoft Surface PCs and tablets are 3:2.

There is an in-camera cropping tool on the K-50 that lets you select between 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, or 1:1. In the photo playback view, press the "Down"/WB key to bring up the edit menu and select "Cropping." Then use the INFO key to cycle through the aspect ratios. The rear dial controls the frame size, and the direction pad controls the placement. It's not ideal and you can do this in post, but hopefully it helps.
You're quite right regarding monitor aspects, I just try to stick to 16:9 panels if possible as nothing actually produces 16:10 so who thought it was a good shape for a screen?!

I like the sound of the in-camera cropping tool though. If there was something that I was determined would have to fill a 16:9 screen then that would enable me to confirm I'd got the shot before I got home and was disappointed. Thanks for the info.

Cheers
10-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Photos in a 3:2 ratio will display just fine on a 16:9 monitor, there will just be small black space on the left and right of the photo. If that is a problem then crop to 16:9.
10-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dads_Taxi Quote
You're quite right regarding monitor aspects, I just try to stick to 16:9 panels if possible as nothing actually produces 16:10 so who thought it was a good shape for a screen?!
screens are made as a display device for computer software not specifically to display photographs, there have been and will continue to be different formats to cater for different applications & tastes, 16:9 has only become a popular monitor size since TV/Video settled on that format for HD.
10-26-2016, 01:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I won't go into the history of screen display formats, it is something I know all about, and my opinions will not necessarily agree with that of others.

I live in a world that is 16:9, Broadcast TV, and as such my query was whether I can shoot stills in 16:9 on the K-50. I'm not new to photography, I have been taking photos for 46 years, the only thing with which I am unfamiliar is the DSLR. Thank you to those who have answered my question, I now know the answer. Cheers,

Dave

08-03-2017, 01:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
Seven months on I can report back, if anyone is at all interested, that I take my photos in native 3:2 but I seem to have developed (pun intended) an eye for the 16:9 version, and the first thing I do in post is crop to 16:9, thereby fulfilling my criteria.