Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2016, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My K-50 served me a long time with no issues. If every owner with no issues created a forum thread to say so then the problem threads will be lost in the noise.

Whatever the product, however reliable, someone somewhere in the world has had every possible component fail. You'll find Rolls Royces with failed clutches and LG TVs with broken on/off switches. Components do fail, whatever they are, and you will find them if you search the world for them, but you need to put that into perspective. But if the chances of failure are of utmost importance to you, I'm not sure why you are looking at a consumer-grade model rather than a flagship. The K-3(II) is rated for twice the life the K-50 (or its replacement K-70).

11-08-2016, 04:14 AM   #17
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
But if the chances of failure are of utmost importance to you, I'm not sure why you are looking at a consumer-grade model rather than a flagship. The K-3(II) is rated for twice the life the K-50 (or its replacement K-70).

bingo - if that is truly the only concern, a professional-grade body would be the obvious choice here...
11-08-2016, 05:11 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Tonytee - stop over-thinking which camera to buy. Life's too short.

If you're looking at the K50, stop! - it'd older technology. Look at the K70 or K-S2.

Buy the one you like and can afford, use it, enjoy it.
11-08-2016, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Whatever the product, however reliable, someone somewhere in the world has had every possible component fail. You'll find Rolls Royces with failed clutches and LG TVs with broken on/off switches. Components do fail, whatever they are, and you will find them if you search the world for them, but you need to put that into perspective.
This is exactly my thought. If you do a google search for any brand, any models and add the word "problem", you will conclude to all camera from all manufacturers are crap, with all kind of problems...

11-08-2016, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
This is exactly my thought. If you do a google search for any brand, any models and add the word "problem", you will conclude to all camera from all manufacturers are crap, with all kind of problems...
Yep, and I also can't see how the anxiety of someone who would do that helps them become a creative, spirited photographer.

A no-risk attitude is an obstacle to this particular hobby, IMHO.

How could you ask someone permission to take their picture when they might say no? What if the lens I buy is decentred? Why book a shooting holiday in Iceland months in advance when the weather could mean you never get out of town?

Last edited by clackers; 11-08-2016 at 05:27 AM.
11-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I had been doing quite a bit of homework in upgrading from my k100d Super. I was very close to deciding on the k-50, however it looks as though I am back to the drawing board so to speak. I do have a list of problems reported regarding the k-50, so I am not certain if this is the place to post them or in Trouble-Shooting Section.

Here is what I have discovered:

K-50 Mirror Stuck Problems, mirror flopping, uncorrectable front focus problem, low battery life, shutter failures and aperture motor failures.

So after all is said and done, I will stick to my trusty K100d Super camera.

Many thanks for viewing.

Tony
I'm sorry, but this is like saying that children die of SIDS, leukemia, accidents, ... therefore I won't have any children. The truth is that most of us survive childhood. I don't know how often the various things on your list occur to a K-50, or will occur to a K-70, but one would need that kind of information for list to have any meaning at all.
11-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #22
Pentaxian

When using percentages or ratios, one has to keep in mind how many repairs were done that were not reported on this Forum.
Right, that's why I offered this guesstimate:
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If only 25% of the users with failed units responded

11-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Right, that's why I offered this guesstimate:
With the best will in the world, I don't think that 25% of owners of failed units would even know that the survey existed, or even that this forum does, let alone then taking the time to respond. That is a hopelessly wild estimate - for a start, Japan (and East Asia in general) is a huge market for Pentax and not many of them will be hanging out here.

But the main point is that the owners of perfectly functioning units are out taking photos, not letting the world know their camera hasn't broken down. The issue is not underreporting of failures but gigantic underreporting of non-failures...

Last edited by victormeldrew; 11-08-2016 at 05:09 PM.
11-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I must say that I find the responses here very interesting. I trust that everyone will keep in mind that all I am doing is reporting on my findings, with the intent of not only helping myself, but others as well. That is me. Prior to purchasing a new car, I also do a lot of homework on the history of that car, used or new. Is it plagued with a history of frequency of repair? Does it spend more time up on a hoist than it does on the road? Not making an informed, intelligent decision prior to purchasing, to me is a serious mistake. I am not looking for reasons to not purchase a k-50, instead I am relying on the very talented and gifted folks on this Forum to give me reasons why I should not discard my interest in purchasing a k-50. Again, I do hope that I have been helpful to others. Many thanks for all the excellent responses.

Regards,

Tony
11-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I must say that I find the responses here very interesting. I trust that everyone will keep in mind that all I am doing is reporting on my findings, with the intent of not only helping myself, but others as well. That is me. Prior to purchasing a new car, I also do a lot of homework on the history of that car, used or new. Is it plagued with a history of frequency of repair? Does it spend more time up on a hoist than it does on the road? Not making an informed, intelligent decision prior to purchasing, to me is a serious mistake. I am not looking for reasons to not purchase a k-50, instead I am relying on the very talented and gifted folks on this Forum to give me reasons why I should not discard my interest in purchasing a k-50. Again, I do hope that I have been helpful to others. Many thanks for all the excellent responses.
This is well and good...and the aperture block issue is certainly a known fault. As you can tell, nobody (except the rather secretive Pentax) has any real clue as to the true frequency of the issue, but it is far from certain to happen. As you can also tell, none of the other issues are known to be any more common with this model as any other...and although quite loyal, Pentax users here are less 'fanboyish' than a lot of brand buyers, so that is likely a fair assessment.

Most K-50 owners have enjoyed good service from an excellent camera that would certainly be a major upgrade from your current body...and for the current prices it is a bargain, even if it does fail in a couple of years...but an extended warranty would put your mind at rest, or spending a bit more on a flagship body would offer greater reliability. You can't ask for better and more honest advice than you have received, so it's really up to you now whether to take the small risk, or choose a different body, or stick with the devil you know.
11-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #26
Pentaxian

With the best will in the world, I don't think that 25% of owners of failed units would even know that the survey existed, or even that this forum does, let alone then taking the time to respond. That is a hopelessly wild estimate
Please read the original post quoted.
It referred to 25% of the users on this forum.
11-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Warning! Reading forums can cause severe camera Hypochondria!
I thank you my friend, as I needed a good laugh.

Antonio