Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problems associated with Pentax k-50 camera.

I had been doing quite a bit of homework in upgrading from my k100d Super. I was very close to deciding on the k-50, however it looks as though I am back to the drawing board so to speak. I do have a list of problems reported regarding the k-50, so I am not certain if this is the place to post them or in Trouble-Shooting Section.

Here is what I have discovered:

K-50 Mirror Stuck Problems, mirror flopping, uncorrectable front focus problem, low battery life, shutter failures and aperture motor failures.

So after all is said and done, I will stick to my trusty K100d Super camera.

Many thanks for viewing.

Tony

11-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only one of those I have ever heard of is the aperture motor issue.
11-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I get nervous reading about all the problems but I have stay mindful that the forum is where people with problems go for help or to complain. Just saying that the chances of hearing about a bad camera are much higher here.

K-50 does seem to chew through batteries, so I bought a spare on KEH and picked up a AA battery holder. It's nice to have that option.
11-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

my K-50 hasn't had any of those issues - 13,000+ actuations and counting - and doesn't seem to use batteries any more than my K-3 does....

11-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The only problem that specifically affects this particular camera model is the aperture block failure, which realistically affects 1 in 7 or so owners. If you're considering upgrading I'd just go for it, because the K-50 blows the old K100D out of the water. If you got a 3rd-party warranty, that could allow you to replace the camera for free if it fails outside of warranty.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I will stick to my trusty K100d Super camera.
If you're happy with what it does for you, there's no need to change.

But if you can use the improved IQ of the K-50, and great features like its focus peaking,
better viewfinder, or the continued option of using AA batteries in the camera body,
it would be a shame to miss out because of reported problems on the internet.

Out of around 1800 K-50 users on the forum, around 40 reported failures to the PF survey
Pentax Aperture Block Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

If only 25% of the users with failed units responded,
that's less than a 10% failure rate over a couple of years' use,
which is probably around par for consumer electronic equipment.

And if you do have a failure, you have your K100d as backup.
11-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If you're happy with what it does for you, there's no need to change.

But if you can use the improved IQ of the K-50, and great features like its focus peaking,
better viewfinder, or the continued option of using AA batteries in the camera body,
it would be a shame to miss out because of reported problems on the internet.

Out of around 1800 K-50 users on the forum, around 40 reported failures to the PF survey
Pentax Aperture Block Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

If only 25% of the users with failed units responded,
that's less than a 10% failure rate over a couple of years' use,
which is probably around par for consumer electronic equipment.

And if you do have a failure, you have your K100d as backup.
I certainly appreciate your taking the time to be of assistance. When using percentages or ratios, one has to keep in mind how many repairs were done that were not reported on this Forum. Many folks do not like to admit that they had made a buying mistake. Well, many thanks again for your help. I will keep the k-50 in mind.

Rgds,

Tony

---------- Post added 11-07-16 at 10:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The only one of those I have ever heard of is the aperture motor issue.
Uncle, what I have done in the past when searching for equipment information was to go to the Google search bar and type in; Reviews and ratings for Pentax k-xyz camera. Now I type in this: Problems associated with Pentax k-xyz camera. I get exactly what I am looking for. Give it a shot. You have nothing to lose.

Thanks four you input.

Antonio

11-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think you can be frozen into inaction by worry. The K100D won't be in the same ball park quality wise as a K-50.

But, I second Adam's suggestion. If by personality you want peace of mind (and no manufacturer can guarantee you their product won't break), go for an extended warranty.

The attitude these days, BTW, is that a consumer electronics product won't serve for twenty years.

Horrible, I know (since I just replaced a washing machine that lasted thirty years with a modern design that probably won't go a third of that), but it's the way of the world.
11-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Were you looking for used K-50, or trying to find a new one? If you were looking for a used one, maybe try to get a K-5 or K-5 II instead. lf you were looking for a new one, the K-70 seems to be the same price as the K-50s I see for sale new.
11-07-2016, 10:25 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
K-50 Mirror Stuck Problems, mirror flopping, uncorrectable front focus problem, low battery life, shutter failures and aperture motor failures.
I have been fielding questions on this site for both the K-30 and K-50 for several years and only see one item on your list that is a common issue, that being the aperture controller problem (mirror position is a common co-occurence...the same components are used for both). I don't recall any tendency to shutter failure, mirror flop, front focus (never a body issue), or issues with the stock lithium battery. (Never as primary failure for any on that list.)

Having said that, if you are bent on taking the cautious approach, you are probably best served by staying with your K100D. Although some users have reported pervasive battery and power issues, AF failure, poor AF performance, shutter actuation problems, and poor quality ocular coatings; your camera appears to be a good one without any of those issues. By the time your K100Ds shutter fails, good pricing may be available on K-S2 or K-70. With any luck one of those models will have better reliability. As noted above, extended or supplemental warranties are inexpensive and may be advisable if/when you upgrade.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-07-2016 at 10:31 PM.
11-07-2016, 11:29 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think you can be frozen into inaction by worry. The K100D won't be in the same ball park quality wise as a K-50.

But, I second Adam's suggestion. If by personality you want peace of mind (and no manufacturer can guarantee you their product won't break), go for an extended warranty.

The attitude these days, BTW, is that a consumer electronics product won't serve for twenty years.

Horrible, I know (since I just replaced a washing machine that lasted thirty years with a modern design that probably won't go a third of that), but it's the way of the world.
I hope your new one is not a Samsung. They tend to explode without warning. Many people have sustained serious injuries. You do bring up a valid question however, and that is: What was Pentax's experience rating prior to Ricoh and what is it now? I started out as a serious photographer in 1975 and began on Pentax equipment exclusively. In all that time I had never experienced any difficulties except when a meter went out, but that was a simple fix. Yes, my expectations may seem unreasonably high, however Digital Photography is not inexpensive, so I expect to get my money's worth. I know what you mean about appliances, my wife and I had to replace a refrigerator we had for 25years and it came with a 20year warranty with a new one that came with only a one year warranty. It all comes down to money. Thanks for your advice.

Tony
11-07-2016, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't recall any tendency to shutter failure, mirror flop, front focus (never a body issue), or issues with the stock lithium battery. (Never as primary failure for any on that list.)

I'm sure if you do a Google search of those terms with 'K-50', there'll be examples, but that's not great methodology.
11-07-2016, 11:46 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm sure if you do a Google search of those terms with 'K-50', there'll be examples, but that's not great methodology.
That is how I compiled the K100D list. I also did a similar search for the Nikon D5300 and saw similar problem reports. Oh, well...

Steve
11-08-2016, 12:06 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have been fielding questions on this site for both the K-30 and K-50 for several years and only see one item on your list that is a common issue, that being the aperture controller problem (mirror position is a common co-occurence...the same components are used for both). I don't recall any tendency to shutter failure, mirror flop, front focus (never a body issue), or issues with the stock lithium battery. (Never as primary failure for any on that list.)

Having said that, if you are bent on taking the cautious approach, you are probably best served by staying with your K100D. Although some users have reported pervasive battery and power issues, AF failure, poor AF performance, shutter actuation problems, and poor quality ocular coatings; your camera appears to be a good one without any of those issues. By the time your K100Ds shutter fails, good pricing may be available on K-S2 or K-70. With any luck one of those models will have better reliability. As noted above, extended or supplemental warranties are inexpensive and may be advisable if/when you upgrade.

Steve
Thanks Steve for your valuable input. The only issue I have with the K100d Super (as you had mentioned) is its propensity for battery consumption. I recently purchased four Eneloop rechargeable batteries with the charger for $32.00USD. The one way to conserve battery power is to never, never use the onboard flash in the K100d Super. It is a power drainer beyond compare. So when I do need a flash, I use my Nikon SB-24 Speedlight which works very well. I have had the Pentax for about 18 months and when I purchased it, it had only 854 (verified) shutter activations. Now it has over 4,000 and no problems so far. I think I paid around $55.00USD for it with all the accessories including the kit lens.

Tony
11-08-2016, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Warning! Reading forums can cause severe camera Hypochondria!